[sci.math] New Factoring Record

bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (08/04/87)

I have just established two new factoring records. I just finished factoring
the following 88 digit number:

   94
 10  + 1
---------
101.45121

It was factored by a parallel version of the Multiple Polynomial Quadratic
Sieve (MPQS) and is the largest number ever factored by a general purpose
algorithm. It also represents the first time a 40 digit penultimate factor
of a number has been found. The factorization is:

2144906157509411684424913774078958939881

times

1023037643093214557651333120422980213172396059301

Bob Silverman

booth@vax135.UUCP (David Booth) (08/05/87)

Regarding Bob Silverman's announcement:

	I have just established two new factoring records. I just
	finished factoring the following 88 digit number:

	   94
	 10  + 1
	---------
	101.45121

	It was factored by a parallel version of the Multiple
	Polynomial Quadratic Sieve (MPQS) and is the largest number
	ever factored by a general purpose algorithm. It also
	represents the first time a 40 digit penultimate factor of a
	number has been found. The factorization is:

	2144906157509411684424913774078958939881

	times

	1023037643093214557651333120422980213172396059301

	Bob Silverman

Apparently, the number that was factored should be read as
(10^94 + 1)/(101*45121).  Bob: would you please use a clearer,
more conventional syntax next time?  Thanks.

David Booth
UUCP: {harvard, seismo, ucbvax}!vax135!booth
Arpanet: vax135!booth@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

lls@mimsy.UUCP (Lauren L. Smith) (08/06/87)

In article <10489@linus.UUCP>, bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) writes:
> I have just established two new factoring records.
>
> It was factored by a parallel version of the Multiple Polynomial Quadratic
> Sieve (MPQS) and is the largest number ever factored by a general purpose
> algorithm.

Impressive.  I'm interested in parallel algorithms and am wondering about
a couple of things - How long did the factoring take?  What parallel
machine did you run?  Did the algorithm exploit fine-grained parallelism
or large-grained or both?  Do you have any idea of the speedup? Although
I'm sure that is an irrelevant question, because the algorithm probably
would take years on a single processor....

- Lauren Smith

ARPA: lls@mimsy.umd.edu

bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (08/06/87)

In article <7876@mimsy.UUCP] lls@mimsy.UUCP (Lauren L. Smith) writes:
]In article <10489@linus.UUCP>, bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) writes:
]> I have just established two new factoring records.
]>
]
]Impressive.  I'm interested in parallel algorithms and am wondering about
]a couple of things - How long did the factoring take?  What parallel
]machine did you run?  Did the algorithm exploit fine-grained parallelism
]or large-grained or both?  Do you have any idea of the speedup? Although
]I'm sure that is an irrelevant question, because the algorithm probably
]would take years on a single processor....
]
]- Lauren Smith
]
]ARPA: lls@mimsy.umd.edu

The algorithm was implemented on a network of 24 SUN-3 microcomputers. The
algorithm was designed and written in such a way that N machines do, in practice
and in theory yield an N-fold speedup. The total number of CPU hours, summed
over all 24 machines was 11,400 hours or about 475 hours/machine.

I have a paper, to appear in Volume I, #3 of the Journal of Supercomputing,
desribing the algorithm and its implementation.

Bob Silverman

jml@strath-cs.UUCP (08/10/87)

In article <1839@vax135.UUCP> booth@vax135.UUCP (David Booth) writes:
>Regarding Bob Silverman's announcement:
>Apparently, the number that was factored should be read as
>(10^94 + 1)/(101*45121).  Bob: would you please use a clearer,
>more conventional syntax next time?  Thanks.
>
>David Booth

Come on. Give the man a break. The notation Bob used was as clear as day
to me and hopefully most others. In fact it is more obvious and direct
than the one you give, whose only advantage is conservation of space.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally prefer the "dot" version
of multiplication to the "star" version when writing a product. However
I do believe that the "star" is much more preferable in a programming
language.

   No hard feelings I hope.

       jml, the modern Mersenne.