[sci.math] Contest where the prize is an ETA10 Model P

cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) (02/12/88)

[ This is from the Jan. 7 issue of _Electronic Design_, in the section
  entitled "Design Alert" ]

	The Promise of Supercomputers Lures Future Designers

By 1990, well over 1000 supercomputers will be operating worldwide compared
to 300 today. To prepare the next generation of designers to run these power-
ful machines, ETA Systems, of St. Paul, Minn., is sponsoring a nationwide
science competition for high school students. An ETA10 Model P supercomputer
will be installed at the school attended by the winners.

Entrants work as teams made up of three students and a teacher coach to devise
scientific problems and solutions that call for a supercomputer's horsepower.
The four finalist teams will attend a seven-week learning institute this
summer at ETA's headquarters in St. Paul. After receiving supercomputer
training, the finalists, who will receive $3000 stipends (their teachers a
$7000 stipend), will run their computational solutions on the ETA10-P super-
computer. The winning team will be announced the last week. Additional prizes
will be awarded to the finalist teacher coaches, team members, and schools.

For more information, call Marcia Shilling at ETA at (612) 853-6538.       NM

---
[ Just think: if a high school near you won the contest, and they entered due
  to your urging ? Selfish motivation, yes, but the prize... ]
--
--==---==---==--
.. And, as in uffish thought he stood, ..

eugene@pioneer.arpa (Eugene N. Miya) (02/12/88)

In article <2279@umd5.umd.edu> cgs@umd5.umd.edu (Chris Sylvain) writes:

>[ This is from the Jan. 7 issue of _Electronic Design_, in the section
>  entitled "Design Alert" ]
>
>	The Promise of Supercomputers Lures Future Designers
>
>For more information, call Marcia Shilling at ETA at (612) 853-6538.       NM

WAIT WAIT WAIT, before you call this number, there is a typo!

call Marcia Shilling at ETA at (612) 853-6438.
					  ^
I don't think you get this machine as a prize, it's the money ($X,000
dollars).

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA
  "Send mail, avoid follow-ups.  If enough, I'll summarize."
  {uunet,hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix}!ames!aurora!eugene