[sci.math] Help Needed With Data Smoothing, Character Recognition

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (02/17/88)

I am currently working on a vision project; solving the font-free
character recognition problem to be exact.  I am looking for any
and all reference sources dealing with data smoothing and
noise reduction, especially as applied to graphics.  Books,
technical journals, leads, etc. are all acceptable.   Highly
technical references are welcome, in fact, the more technical the
better.

Thank you for your time.
--

Chris Long
Rutgers University

pallab@caip.rutgers.edu (Pallab Dutta-Choudhury) (02/19/88)

In article <18128@topaz.rutgers.edu>, clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) writes:
> I am currently working on a vision project; solving the font-free
> character recognition problem to be exact.  I am looking for any
> and all reference sources dealing with data smoothing and
> noise reduction, especially as applied to graphics.  Books,
> technical journals, leads, etc. are all acceptable.   Highly
> technical references are welcome, in fact, the more technical the
> better.
>
> Thank you for your time.
> --
>
> Chris Long
> Rutgers University
> New Brunswick, NJ

I am working on a project that has used smoothing
as a preprocessing operation for image segmentation.  As a
result I can help you find some relevant articles, and provide some
consultation if you desire.  The subject has been explored quite
extensively in the literature, for most applications it's just a
question of finding the correct balance between performance and
computational overhead.

Paul Dutta-Choudhury
Rutgers Univ.
e-mail:  pallab@caip