[sci.math] coding theory text

khreb@mtuxo.UUCP (01274-K.ROSEN) (04/29/88)

I'd appreciate recommendations for a text on coding theory
for an undergraduate junior/senior level course in a
computer science dept.  I plan to cover the usual topics,
and perhaps cryptology and data compression, if time permits.
A book with minimal algebraic prerequisites would be preferable
since the students won't have had any courses in abstract algebra.
Thanks.

                                Ken Rosen
                                (201)957-3691

floyd@brl-smoke.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford) (04/29/88)

In article <1832@mtuxo.UUCP> khreb@mtuxo.UUCP (01274-K.ROSEN) writes:
>I'd appreciate recommendations for a text on coding theory
>for an undergraduate junior/senior level course in a
>computer science dept.  I plan to cover the usual topics,
>and perhaps cryptology and data compression, if time permits.
>A book with minimal algebraic prerequisites would be preferable
>since the students won't have had any courses in abstract algebra.
>Thanks.
>
>                                Ken Rosen
>                                (201)957-3691

The fellow across the hall from me has a PHD in the stuff.  A little
while back he loaned to me "A First Course in Coding Theory", by
Raymond Hill.  It was printed in 1986 by the Oxford Press.  It belongs
to the Oxford Applied Mathematics and Computing Science Series.  The
table of contents follows:

	Notation					 xi
	 1 Introduction to error-correcting codes	  1
	 2 The main coding theory problem		 11
	 3 An introduction to finite fields		 31
	 4 Vector spaces over finite fields		 41
	 5 Introduction to linear codes			 47
	 6 Encoding and decoding with a linear code	 55
	 7 The dual code, tha parity-check matrix,
	    and syndrome decoding			 67
	 8 The Hamming codes				 81
	 9 Perfect codes				 97
	10 Codes and Latin squares			113
	11 A double-error correcting decimal code and
	     an introduction to BCH codes		125
	12 Cyclic codes					141
	13 Weight enumerators				165
	14 The main linear coding theory problem	175
	15 MDS codes					191
	16 Concluding remarks, related topics, and
	     further reading				201
	Solutions to exercises				211
	Bibliography					243
	Index						249

The author's main concern is presentationof block codes for random
error correction to second/third mathematics undergraduates and
engineering and computer science.  I found the book to be quite an
easy read (I have a hard time plowing through texts on my own)
considering a) I do not have an algebraic background and b) I was
not using it for any type of classwork.  Cryptographic and
compression concepts are only briefly mentioned in chapter 16.
The bibliography provides the student ~100 references with almost
all of the major texts cited.

This may fit your needs.  Good luck!

floyd@brl.arpa

troly@julia.math.ucla.edu (Bret Jolly) (04/30/88)

In article <1832@mtuxo.UUCP> khreb@mtuxo.UUCP (01274-K.ROSEN) writes:
>I'd appreciate recommendations for a text on coding theory
>for an undergraduate junior/senior level course in a
>computer science dept.  I plan to cover the usual topics,
>and perhaps cryptology and data compression, if time permits.
>A book with minimal algebraic prerequisites would be preferable
>since the students won't have had any courses in abstract algebra.

  Hamming has a very clearly written text that fits this. It covers
both coding and information theory (through Shannon's theorem). The
information theory part includes problems of data compression. I've
lent out my copy, but I think the title is _Coding and Information
Theory_. I've looked at a number of texts and I think this is the
best one at the level you want. The only math pre-requisite is
calculus. Everything else is developed as needed in the book.

                 ?
Bret Jolly (Bo'-ret Tro Ly)   Mathemagus          LA Platygaean Society
             .
                                                  troly@MATH.UCLA.EDU