[sci.math] cancer, radiation, computing, & tomography

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (09/05/88)

>In article <6239@dasys1.UUCP>, tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:

< There is considerable evidence that radioactive cancer treatments cause more
< cancers than they cure, and modern medicine is increasingly looking to other,
<safer approaches to that sort of illness.  So we can do away with them as well,
<quite successfully, and by the turn of the next century, we probably will have.

	the statistical effects of radiation don't mean much
	to the individual who does have a cancer cured by radiation.
	i don't think we'll be 'doing away with' radiation therapy
	by the turn of the century.  is anyone expecting an
	'anti-cancer' panacea in 11 years ??  or 111 years ??

	early detection seems to be a key in fighting cancer.

	i believe the advances in NMR and parallel processing
	computers/software will combine to enable *very* early detection...
	although it would be enormously expensive at first.

	specifically:  using parallel & other high speed techniques
	to analyze NMR data which includes time domain information
	as well as 3d images.

	does anyone know of any research in this area ?

	i really don't know where to direct followups to this.
	please edit the followups line if you respond.