[net.sf-lovers] Death Star weapon.

OC.Trei%CU20B@sri-unix.UUCP (04/20/84)

From:  Peter G. Trei <OC.Trei@CU20B>

	After seeing a lot of casual talk on this board about the
Death Star and its ability to blow up planets, I decided it was time
to get a little more specific. Just how much energy does it actually
take to blow up, say Earth (we dont have the stats for Alderan).

	For the sake of argument, I have defined a planet as being 'blown up'
when its fragments are receding from its original location fast enough so that
they will never coalesce again. In effect, the entire mass of the planet has
to be accelerated to its own escape velocity.

Using the back of a very large envelope, this is what I came up with. (I hope
someone checks these figures).

Earths density : 5.52 g/cm^3
Diameter:	 12,757 km
Escape velocity: 11.3 km/s

=> vol = 1.087 E13 km^3
mass = 6 E25 kg

=> Need 3.8307 E33 Joules to blow up.

(Of course, this ignores the planets structural strength, and assumes
100% efficiency in production of kinetic energy with the appropriate
vectors.)

	Thats a lot of EverReadys. What could be the source of this energy?
Can the Death Star hold that much? The answer is yes, if they use mass
conversion at high efficiency. Here is the calculation for the mass equivalent
of that energy:

1 kg = 9 E16 Joules   (from E = mc^2)

=> need 4.2555 E16 kg of mass.

If this mass is at the same density as the Earth, you will require 8100 Km^3
of it. In one lump, this is a spheroidal rock about 25 Km across. Of course,
it gets smaller if you use lead, or neutronium.

	Some people have been saying that the DS is '100 miles' across. I find
this difficult to accept. From its appearence in the movies, I would have said
that its diameter was 5-10 miles at the outside. This obviously leads one to
wonder where they keep (a minimum of) 4 E16 kg of ammo, and still leave room
inside for spacefighter dogfights. Even using antimatter does'nt really help,
at best it improves your ammo's effiency by a factor of two.

	I am forced to the conclusion that the DS's main weapon is not sending
out all of that energy itself. Somewhere along the line more energy is being
produced, and delivered to the target. The 'chain reaction' hypothesis thus
appears. I can think of two ways to do this:

1. Induced fusion.
	Back when they were testing the first thermonuclear weapons
out in the Pacific, some people entertained serious worries that the
shock wave of the bombs would induce fusion in the light water of the
Ocean, leading to a chain reaction in which all the hydrogen of the
Earth would fuse. Also, think of the current work on inertial
confinment laser induced fusion. I have heard that the Antares laser
produces (momentary) flashes of 4 E19 watts.

2. Matter conversion ray.
	In one of his Known Space stories, Larry Niven had a weapon,
the ray of which would convert anything it touched to energy. Even on
an airless moon, you could see the ray because of the destruction of
interplanetary gas. At one point the protagonist accidently allows the
ray to intersect the horizon, causing a major earthquake. It would be
just dandy as a planet destroyer (BTW, this was a HAND WEAPON!).

						Peter Trei
						oc.trei%cu20b@columbia-20.arpa

PS: I wonder how many times in the past someone has actually done this
calculation!

								Hail Eris!
									PT
-------

markv@dartvax.UUCP (Mark Vita) (05/10/84)

   About the Death Star weapon...
   I don't know if I am thinking of the same Niven weapon or not,
but in one of his Known Space stories ("World of Ptavvs"), the
Slaver uses a weapon which neutralized the charges on the electrons
in the atoms of whatever matter it touched.  The result was
that the atoms blew themselves apart by electromagnetic repulsion,
leaving a cloud of subatomic dust.  (It's really gruesome when
he uses it on living flesh.)
   Anyone care to speculate on the plausibility of this weapon?
It seems like it should work.  My only question was -- how about
the strong nuclear force in the atom?  I thought that this force
was much stronger than the electromagnetic force at distances
on the order of an nuclear radius.

--

                            Mark Vita
                            Dartmouth College

lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (05/14/84)

       Anyone care to speculate on the plausibility of this weapon?
    It seems like it should work.  My only question was -- how about
    the strong nuclear force in the atom?  I thought that this force
    was much stronger than the electromagnetic force at distances
    on the order of an nuclear radius.

The strong nuclear force does indeed hold the nucleus together. There seems
to be confusion between the nucleus and the atom itself. The weapon
neutralizes the charges on the electrons, which become something very
like small-mass neutrinos, and they leave the scene to the unshielded
nuclei. These disperse due to their mutual magnetic repulsion. They do
not themselves disintegrate, presumably because the weapon does not affect
their magnetic repulsion/strong force attraction balance. The radius of
effect of the strong force is on the order of the size of the nucleus; the
size of an atom (its electron shells) is several orders of magnitude greater
and the strong force has no role in keeping the electrons with the nucleus.

The plausibility is the same as for FTL, thiotimoline, and the radio in
Galileo's day - impossibly small *at this time*. Later on, who knows?
--
		Lyle McElhaney
		(hao,brl-bmd,nbires,csu-cs,scgvaxd)!denelcor!lmc

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (05/14/84)

Yes, the strong nuclear force IS much greater than the electromagnetic
force, which is why nuclear weapons make such a big noise.  I still
contend that the Death Star weapon starts a nuclear chain reaction at the
target, but I don't know how you could do it.  Assuming that Alderan was
made up of iron and silicates, etc, there isn't much readily fissionable
or fusionable material around.

I don't think a weapon that could neutralize the electrostatic charges
is feasible, but a proton beam would be just as effective.  Trouble is,
the effect would be local.
--

                               Bob Fishell
                               ihnp4!ihu1g!fish

steven@qubix.UUCP (Steven Maurer) (05/17/84)

>  The plausibility is the same as for FTL, thiotimoline, and the radio in
>  Galileo's day - impossibly small *at this time*. Later on, who knows?

    <sputter sputter foof>
	FTL is *IMPOSSIBLE*   DO YOU HEAR ME????
	YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT MAKING A PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE
	THAN YOU HAVE AT MAKING AN FTL DRIVE!!!!
    <foof sputter sputter>

    I find it somewhat humorous (in a sick sort of way) that people
    who are supposed to be as intelligent as SF readers, can totally
    ignore the findings of Einstein -- without even bothering to read
    or understand them.

    What Einstein discovered, is a new (UNBREAKABLE) law: much like
    the Second Law of Thermodynamics.   And ALL THE FUTURE SCIENCE IN
    THE WORLD, will not change it, or allow one to get around it
    somehow.

    The "hyperspace" excuse, arises from an incomplete understanding
    of what Einstein discovered: you cannot "go around" the distance,
    because the very act of APPEARING at a place before light gets
    there, is exactly equivalent to going backwards through time.

    Steven Maurer

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (05/17/84)

In article <1104@qubix.UUCP> steven@qubix.UUCP (Steve Maurer) writes:

>    <sputter sputter foof>
>	FTL is *IMPOSSIBLE*   DO YOU HEAR ME????
>	YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT MAKING A PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE
>	THAN YOU HAVE AT MAKING AN FTL DRIVE!!!!
>    <foof sputter sputter>

assert(flame).
	People who live in grass huts shouldn't throw flames!
	Before you flam at someone, make sure you know what
	you are talking about also.

>    I find it somewhat humorous (in a sick sort of way) that people
>    who are supposed to be as intelligent as SF readers, can totally
>    ignore the findings of Einstein -- without even bothering to read
>    or understand them.

I find it humorous (in a sad sort of way) that people who are supposed
to be as intelligent as USENET news readers ;-} can totally ignore the
findings of Einstein -- without even bothering to read or understand them.

1)  There is no intelligence prerequisite to reading SF or USENET news.
    People who read SF tend to be above average in intelligence, but
    that is not necessarily so.  Your flame is only an ad hominim attack
    against someone who was posting an article in fun anyway.

>    What Einstein discovered, is a new (UNBREAKABLE) law: much like
>    the Second Law of Thermodynamics.   And ALL THE FUTURE SCIENCE IN
>    THE WORLD, will not change it, or allow one to get around it
>    somehow.

Let's examine what Einstein "discovered":

Einstein didn't discover anything in his Theories of Relativity.
What he did was postulate a new physical world view based on a
couple of simple postulates.

1)  The laws of physics are unchanged with respect to any observer in
    a inertial reference frame.

2)  The speed of light is measured as a constant for all observers.

First, we must realize that Relativity is only a very well substantiated
theory.  No one has and probably no one EVER will prove it as true.
The second postulate above, is one of the laws of physics mentioned in
the first postulate.  However, that postulate only comes from the
observations of researchers in the late 19 century, not as a fact handed
down by divine inspiration.  These observers have only been able
to make their measurments of the speed of light in a non-inertial
reference frame, where all bets are off and the Special Theory of
Relativity does not apply.  Thus, we don't even know what physics
is like in a TRUE inertial reference frame, because we don't live
in one, and no matter where we go, we will NEVER find one.  (There is
always an acceleration due to gravity that makes the fram non-inertial,
no matter where we go.)  So Relativity can be called a very good guess.

>    The "hyperspace" excuse, arises from an incomplete understanding
>    of what Einstein discovered: you cannot "go around" the distance,
>    because the very act of APPEARING at a place before light gets
>    there, is exactly equivalent to going backwards through time.

If you assume that travel by hyperspace is the process of leaving
normal space and re-entering elsewhere, then Relativity precludes
that form of travel, IF the theory is true.  (Actually I wonder
whether the theory holds up when one takes it to the limit with
singularities like infinite velocity.)

If hpyerspace travel is, instead, a method of changing the laws
of physics in the local area of space, (such as increasing the speed
of light in a limited area), then Relativity could hold and yet
from an outside observer, it would appear that one was travelling
faster than light.  (The observer would probably see you arrive before
you left, but that can happen even when you travel at less than the
speed of light because of acceleration.

retract(flame).

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, do not think that just because a new Theory
has been discovered that changed or disproved the old theories, then
it must be true.  We have only extended our knowledge of the universe,
we have not proved that there is nothing more to be learned.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

P. S.  If you are wondering what my qualifications are, I have
       a B. A. in Engineering/Physics.  However, I would
       need many, many more years of study before I could fully
       appreciate the works of Einstein.  That stuff is hard to
       read!

kechkayl@ecn-ee.UUCP (05/18/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1253700:ecn-ee:14400006:000:732
ecn-ee!kechkayl    May 17 17:25:00 1984

    >What Einstein discovered, is a new (UNBREAKABLE) law: much like
    >the Second Law of Thermodynamics.   And ALL THE FUTURE SCIENCE IN
    >THE WORLD, will not change it, or allow one to get around it
    >somehow.

My, my, my! Such vehemence! I guess we have discovered someone that
does not know that it is the THEORY (hint: !law) of Relativity.

I thought that one of the basics of the scientific method was that
theories can (and must) be changed to fit newly discovered facts.
If something is discovered that contradict the THEORY, the theory
must be changed to cover the fact. ALL you can say is that the
theory appears to describe reality fairly well.

				Thomas Ruschak
				pur-ee!kechkayl
				"Aiee! A toy robot!"

hennessy@nmtvax.UUCP (05/18/84)

qubix!steven states

>    What Einstein discovered, is a new (UNBREAKABLE) law: much like
>    the Second Law of Thermodynamics.   And ALL THE FUTURE SCIENCE IN
>    THE WORLD, will not change it, or allow one to get around it
>    somehow.

This unfortunalely is not the case. What Einstein did was create
a new formulation of mechanics that works better than Newtonian
Mechanics in some situations. When you don't fool around with
velocities close to the speed of light old Newton is fine. When
tested in areas, for example: the mass increase of electrons at
SLAC, Einsteins calculations prove very good. However, no how
many experiments confirm a law it only takes one differing
experiment to invalidate this law for those areas. Science
dosen't make the universe what it is. Science is an attempt to
predict what will happen based on previous observations of the
universe. Remember Clarke's law. You never know.

Sincerely;
Greg Hennessy
..ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!hennessy
or
..ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!student

sharp@kpnoa.UUCP (05/19/84)

Poor Einstein is much maligned. See my article on time machines in net.physics.
Relativity queries accepted, but remember I make my living by understanding
both general and special relativity.  Not that they're flawless ...
--

	Nigel Sharp     National Optical Astronomy Observatories
			Tucson, Arizona			(602) 325-9273

UUCP:	{akgua,allegra,arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4,lbl-csam,seismo}!noao!sharp
ARPA:	noao!sharp@lbl-csam.arpa

jim@ism780.UUCP (05/21/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1253700:ism780:14200007:000:1782
ism780!jim    May 19 22:15:00 1984

> My, my, my! Such vehemence! I guess we have discovered someone that
> does not know that it is the THEORY (hint: !law) of Relativity.

You have a false notion of what a theory is.  I suggest you check the
dictionary.  No matter how well validated, the theory of relativity will
never be called a law, yet almost all astrophysicists accept it.

> I thought that one of the basics of the scientific method was that
> theories can (and must) be changed to fit newly discovered facts.
> If something is discovered that contradict the THEORY, the theory
> must be changed to cover the fact.

Fine, but no one has offered any new facts to contradict the General Theory
of Relativity.  And there is not even the faintest sign of a theory
which can account for all observed evidence (another basic of the scientific
method: a new theory must subsume the old theory; anything explainable under
the old theory must be explainable under the new theory) and yet does not
accept the speed of light as a limiting factor.

> ALL you can say is that the
> theory appears to describe reality fairly well.

The GR explains a great number of interlocking, otherwise very peculiar
observations in a very natural fashion (the theory itself is structurally
simple and free of ad hoccery, such as "tired photons", if you have been
following net.physics), and has accurately predicted (ability to predict is
another fundamental of a theory according to scientific method) many
phenomena.  This goes way beyond describing reality "fairly well".
The fact of the matter is that the odds that GR is correct are very high,
and romantic notions such as FTL are just that.  As Carl Sagan has said
(about ESP and such), "it would be *wonderful*, *if* it were true".

-- Jim Balter, INTERACTIVE Systems (ima!jim)

chris@ism780.UUCP (05/21/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1253700:ism780:14200008:000:1192
ism780!chris    May 20 11:26:00 1984

<we got bugs, right here is river city!>

I am a little surprised that people with scientific background
keep ignoring the first law: "Keep an open mind". If you arbitrarily
decide that something is possible or impossible, you stop looking
for new evidence, and new ways of interpreting the evidence.

Yes, FTL does look unlikely, Given What We Know Now. It may or may
not be truly possible. However to decide that it is or is not possible
on the scanty evidence we have is the same as me deciding that
electrons do not exist just because i have never seen one.

Twelve years ago the notion of quarks was one that wasn't taken seriously
by very many people at all. Now they are taken very seriously. The whole
history of scientific thought shows that what is one decade's heresy is
another decade's dogma, and a third decade's popular antiquity.

If you don't want to get stuck into a particular line of thought, you
have to be willing to look at things from different points of view,
and see how things look from there. Isn't that after all the essence
of Relativity? What you see depends on where you stand.

			Chris Kostanick
			decvax!vortex!ism780!chris
			decvax!cca!ima!ism780!chris

kcarroll@utzoo.UUCP (Kieran A. Carroll) (05/23/84)

*

I agree! The very act of appearing in a place before light has a chance to
get there (you know what I mean) is exactly equivalent to going back
in time.
Now tell me; what so bad about going backwards in time?

-Kieran A. Carroll
...decvax!utzoo!kcarroll

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (05/24/84)

Actually this refers to a previous note that FTL travel was/is IMPOSSIBLE.
Humans, especially sci-fi types have never considered ANYTHING impossible.
Einstien(sp?) was a brilliant physicist and mathematician however the
theory of relativity (general and special) are his best effort at explaining
our universe. Granted they are very good, and much evidence supports it,
however, the same could be said of the central earth theory back in
Galileos time. The only way you can advance you're theoretical sciences
is to NOT believe its impossible and try to explain why it isn't. I know
that with current technology/theories FTL is impossible but that does
not prevent me from attempting to supercede or improve on current science
to show that it is.

-never say never -
				--Chuck

P.S. Some very respected scientists in aerodynamics were publicly saying
     that C. Yagers jet would disentegrate if it broke the sound barrier.

steven@qubix.UUCP (06/01/84)

weapon.

[ * ]

I agree! The very act of appearing in a place before light has a chance to
get there (you know what I mean) is exactly equivalent to going back
in time.
Now tell me; what so bad about going backwards in time?

-Kieran A. Carroll
...decvax!utzoo!kcarroll
===================

    Well, nothing, except that there is no evidence for it.

    I realize that this is a pretty lame excuse to have hanging
    around in net.sf-lovers, HOWEVER most sci-fi has FTL without
    (for some inexplicable reason) time travel.  To name a few:
    Star Trek, Star Wars, Niven, Heinlein, MZ Bradley, CJ Cherryh, Pohl,
    Asimov, etc., etc., etc.    While I have no explicit objection to
    the "science" in many stories by Dr. Who (even though exceedingly
    improbable, they are at least possible), I would point out that
    most science fiction is patently false.  (But what if 2 + 2 DID
    equal 5??).

    Steven Maurer

    ... As it is, psionics promises to be even funnier than dianetics or Ray
Palmer's Shaver stories.  It suggests once more how far from accurate is the
stereotype of the science fiction fan as a bright, well-informed, scien-
tifically literate fellow.  Judging by the number of Campbell's readers who
are impressed by this nonsense, the average fan may very well be a chap in
his teens, with a smattering of scientific knowledge culled mostly from
science fiction, enormously gullible, with a strong bent toward occultism,
no understanding of scientific method, and a basic insecurity for which he
compensates by fantasies of scientific power.     -- Marvin Gardener

lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (06/02/84)

> >  The plausibility is the same as for FTL, thiotimoline, and the radio in
> >  Galileo's day - impossibly small *at this time*. Later on, who knows?
>
>     <sputter sputter foof>
>         FTL is *IMPOSSIBLE*   DO YOU HEAR ME????
>         YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE AT MAKING A PERPETUAL MOTION MACHINE
>         THAN YOU HAVE AT MAKING AN FTL DRIVE!!!!
>     <foof sputter sputter>
>
>     {skip the inuendo}
>
>     What Einstein discovered, is a new (UNBREAKABLE) law: much like
>     the Second Law of Thermodynamics.   And ALL THE FUTURE SCIENCE IN
>     THE WORLD, will not change it, or allow one to get around it
>     somehow.

You are, of course, absolutely correct. Einstein said so, Asimov says so,
every physicist I've ever read says so. And yet...

After saying so, stridently, in one of his monthly columns, Isaac Asimov
followed up the next month with a column of the shearest speculation on
what might be possible. Robert M. Powers in "The Coattails of God" says

	"If rearranging the distances to the stars is not easy to do,
	there may be ways in which the barrier of the speed of light may
	be broken...[it] is a tentative "possibility"."

To be sure he makes it very doubtful that such may come to pass.

I find it very difficult to be as dogmatic as your statement above; but
then I'm an engineer, not a physicist (or philosopher, which may be a
better judge). As Clarke (Heinlein?) has said,

	"If a highly placed scientist says that something is possible
	he is very likely correct; if he says that something is
	impossible, he is very likely wrong."

Of course, that probably doesn't say anything about your position.
--
		Lyle McElhaney
		(hao,brl-bmd,nbires,csu-cs,scgvaxd)!denelcor!lmc

bsafw@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (06/04/84)

	You err in stating that Star Trek did not have time travel with FTL.
In one episode (sorry, I watched most of the episodes when I was 6 -- I re-
member the storylines but not the titles) they used FTL around a gravity well
to achieve time travel.  This may imply an unusual mechanism for FTL which
does NOT violate Einstein's mechanics.

						Brandon Allbery
						decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsafw
"...he himself being one universe's prime	MCI MAIL: 161-7070
example of utter, rambunctious free will!"	USMail (core dump):
							6504 Chestnut Road
							Independence, OH 44131