[sci.math] a torus is almost a quadric

pjm@calmasd.GE.COM (Pierre Malraison) (11/18/88)

Levin's work on quadrics provides nice ways of getting
exact solutions for q-q intersection curves in terms
of square roots of lowish degree polynomials.

The torus, alas, is not a quadric.... but it is pretty simple
algebraically. It seems similar methods ought to work to represent t-q
and torus-torus intersections.

Any obscure references or suggestions welcomed. Public domain
ideas only please. E-mail to me appreciated.
------------------------.signature--------------------------------
These opinions are solely mine and in no way reflect those of my employer.
Pierre Malraison @ GE/Calma R&D, Geometric Modeling Group, San Diego
...{ucbvax|decvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!pjm          pjm@calmasd.GE.COM

--

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (11/20/88)

In article <149@calmasd.GE.COM> pjm@calmasd.UUCP (Pierre Malraison) writes:
>Levin's work on quadrics provides nice ways of getting
>exact solutions for q-q intersection curves in terms
>of square roots of lowish degree polynomials.

     Reference, please.

     Can this work be extended to deformed superquadrics, along the lines
of Pentland's Supersketch system?  I spent some time trying to determine
whether two deformed superquadrics intersected, and after about a month
was able to reduce it to a messy quadratic programming problem but could
get no further.  Then I found out that one of Barr's students at UCLA was
trying to solve the problem by using enclosing polyhedra.  This, too, is
messy.  Is there a cleaner solution?

					John Nagle

In article <17855@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.UUCP (John B. Nagle) writes:
>In article <149@calmasd.GE.COM> pjm@calmasd.UUCP (Pierre Malraison) writes:
>>Levin's work on quadrics provides nice ways of getting
>>exact solutions for q-q intersection curves in terms
>>of square roots of lowish degree polynomials.
>
>     Reference, please.

1. Levin, J., ``Mathematical Methods for Determining the Intersections of
Quadric Surfaces'', CGIP 11, pp. 73-87, 1979.

-- also --

2. Sarraga, R., ``Algebraic Methods for Intersections of Quadric Surfaces in
GMSOLID'', CVGIP 22, pp. 222-238, 1983.

-- and maybe --

3. Farouki, R., ``The Characterization of Parametric Surface Sections'',
CVGIP 33, pp. 209-236, 1986.

4. Koparkar, P. and S. Mudur, ``Computational Techniques for Processing
Parametric Surfaces'', CVGIP 28, 303-322.

--
Patrick Flynn, Dept. of Computer Science, Michigan State University
flynn@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu flynn@eecae.UUCP FLYNN@MSUEGR.BITNET