[sci.math] Surface smoothing algorithms/sources ?

marcel@tnoibbc.UUCP (Marcel Boender) (02/16/89)

I am looking for some algorithms and specially some source codes (preferably
in C) for creating B-spline surfaces.
Given a set of 3d-coordinates, there weights and a certain degree of detail
it should be able to fit in a corresponding B-spline surface.
I am also interested in bezier surfaces.

Can anyone supply me with references, algorithms and better yet source code(s).

Please let me know by e-mail.

--
Marcel Boender : TNO - IBBC                     USENET : marcel@tnoibbc
               : PO-box 49                      UUCP   : ..!hp4nl!tnoibbc!marcel

jaysun@donald.uucp (Jay) (02/18/89)

In article <1050@tnoibbc.UUCP> marcel@tnoibbc.UUCP (Marcel Boender) writes:
>I am looking for some algorithms and specially some source codes (preferably
>in C) for creating B-spline surfaces.
>Given a set of 3d-coordinates, there weights and a certain degree of detail
>it should be able to fit in a corresponding B-spline surface.
>I am also interested in bezier surfaces.
>Can anyone supply me with references, algorithms and better yet source code(s).
>Please let me know by e-mail.
>--
>Marcel Boender : TNO - IBBC                     USENET : marcel@tnoibbc

I am interested in  obtaining the same thing.  If anyone has any info
will you please let me know also? My E-mail bounced to Marcel so thats
why I am posting.

Thanks,   Jay Williamson
          jaysun@eng.clemson.edu
          Engineering Computer Operations

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (02/18/89)

In article <4475@hubcap.UUCP> jaysun@donald.UUCP (Jay) writes:
>In article <1050@tnoibbc.UUCP> marcel@tnoibbc.UUCP (Marcel Boender) writes:
>>I am looking for some algorithms and specially some source codes (preferably
>>in C) for creating B-spline surfaces.
>>Can anyone supply me with references, algorithms and better yet source code(s).
>I am interested in  obtaining the same thing.  If anyone has any info
>will you please let me know also? My E-mail bounced to Marcel so thats
>why I am posting.

Here are a couple. Dierckx' article contains FORTRAN source code.

@article{hayes74,
AUTHOR="J. G. Hayes and J. Halliday",
TITLE="{The Least-squares Fitting of Cubic Spline Surfaces to General
        Data Sets}",
JOURNAL="J. Inst. Maths Applics",
VOLUME="14",
PAGES="89-103",
YEAR="1974"
}

@article{dierckx77,
AUTHOR="P. Dierckx",
TITLE="{An Algorithm for least-squares fitting of cubic spline surfaces to
        functions on a rectilinear mesh over a rectangle}",
JOURNAL="J. Comput. Appl. Math.",
VOLUME="3",
NUMBER="2",
PAGES="113-129",
YEAR="1977"
}

Cheers
Pat
--
Pat Flynn, CS, Mich. State U. | "What kind of chump do you take me for?" -Nick
flynn@cps.msu.edu             | "First Class!" -Rocky Rococo

>In article <1050@tnoibbc.UUCP> marcel@tnoibbc.UUCP (Marcel Boender) writes:
>>I am looking for some algorithms and specially some source codes (preferably
>>in C) for creating B-spline surfaces.
>>I am also interested in bezier surfaces.
>>Can anyone supply me with references, algorithms and better yet source code(s).
>I am interested in  obtaining the same thing.  If anyone has any info
>will you please let me know also? My E-mail bounced to Marcel so thats
>why I am posting.

I can't send you any source code that generates 3d surface patches but I can
give you the names of three good references:

	1) Rogers & Adams, Mathematical Elements for Computer Graphics,
	   MaGraw-Hill, New York, 1976.  (Good basics but 3d surface
	   mathematics is hard to follow.)

	2) Foley & Van Dam, Fundimentals of Interactive Computer Graphics,
	   Addison-Wesley, Reading Massachusetts, 1982.

	3) Mortenson M.E., Geometric Modeling, John Wiley & Sons,
	   New York, 1985. (Good explanation of surfaces and splines, picks
	   up where the other two leave off).

Good luck.