[sci.math] Trinary

<6250@sunray.UUCP> <626@hrc63.co.uk>

In article <626@hrc63.co.uk> pj@hrc63.co.uk (Mr P Johnson "Baddow") writes:

>Nearest I ever heard of to this was in Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast",
>where there was a computer which used trinary.  In a throw-away line, one
>character deduced that it must use three phase power.
>
>Ever since I read that I have been trying to figure out how it could work.

Tis very simple:

Binary computers have 2 states: 1 (true, yes, on) and 0 (false, no, off)

Trinary would add a third state: -1 , the "Maybe" state.

This would give computers the power of indecision, just like humans.

We could expand this to make a 4 state computer with the oscillating
"Sometimes" state.

Or we could just go all out and base our computers on the "magic 8 ball", then
we would have such states as "Better not tell you now" and so on.
--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.

--

scs@itivax.iti.org (Steve C. Simmons) (07/03/89)

sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>In article <626@hrc63.co.uk> pj@hrc63.co.uk (Mr P Johnson "Baddow") writes:
>>Nearest I ever heard of to this was in Heinlein's "The Number of the Beast",
>>where there was a computer which used trinary.  In a throw-away line, one
>>character deduced that it must use three phase power.

>Tis very simple:

>Binary computers have 2 states: 1 (true, yes, on) and 0 (false, no, off)

>Trinary would add a third state: -1 , the "Maybe" state. . .

Harrumph.  To paraphrase from my (1983?) Datamation article "The Quark,
Of Course" (I'm not kidding!):

In a trinary logic system, the basic unit of information is the 'trit',
corresponding to the 'bit'.  As bits are grouped into bytes, so three
trits form a 'trite'.  Three trites parallel the word, and are called
a 'trylobite'.  Three trylobites form a 'nynobite'.  Finally, an
arbitrary null-terminated string of trites is a 'cliche'.
--
Steve Simmons		          scs@vax3.iti.org
Industrial Technology Institute     Ann Arbor, MI.

wordy@cup.portal.com (Steven K Roberts) (07/07/89)

And, of course, one of the basic logic elements for trinary logic
is the flip-flap-flop.

    -Steve