[sci.math] Curve normal to two circles

carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (09/01/89)

I spent last night puzzling over this one, I still don't have an answer.

Given:
	A, B circles in R2 and an two points P & Q, one on
each circle (P on A, Q on B).

Construct a curve C with endpoints P & Q such that the curve is
normal to A & B at P & Q.  C only intersects A & B at P & Q.  The
function describing the curve should be differentiable at all
points on the curve except P & Q.  C is made up of at most 2
segments (3 parametric quadratics won't do! :-).

Remember, C only intersects A & B at P & Q (Otherwise the
problem is cake).

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov

hallett@shoreland.uucp (Jeff Hallett x4-6328) (09/01/89)

In article <439@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) writes:

>Given:
>	A, B circles in R2 and an two points P & Q, one on
>each circle (P on A, Q on B).
>
>Construct a curve C with endpoints P & Q such that the curve is
>normal to A & B at P & Q.  C only intersects A & B at P & Q.  The
>function describing the curve should be differentiable at all
>points on the curve except P & Q.  C is made up of at most 2
>segments (3 parametric quadratics won't do! :-).
>

>Remember, C only intersects A & B at P & Q (Otherwise the
>problem is cake).

The problem needs some more definition, I think.  Of what form should
C be, quadratic, transcendental, etc.?  If we don't determine the
curve format, there are potentially an infinite number of solutions.
Maybe another bound would be to minimize the length of C in R2?

Also, I'll make the assumption that the curve should be right or left
differentiable at P & Q (even though it isn't fully differentiable, by
its termination)

Good problem.  I like it.

                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414
                            Milwaukee, WI  53201
          (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallett@positron.gemed.ge.com

greg@herb-ox.berkeley.edu (Greg) (09/03/89)

In article <439@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) writes:
>Given: A,B circles in R2 and an two points P & Q, one on
>each circle (P on A, Q on B).
>Construct a curve C with endpoints P & Q such that the curve is
>normal to A & B at P & Q.  C only intersects A & B at P & Q.  The
>function describing the curve should be differentiable at all
>points on the curve except P & Q.

Here is an analytic solution:

Interpreting R^2 as the complex plane, there is a fractional linear
transformation (a function f:z->(a*z+b)/(c*z+d)) which maps A and
B to concentric circles; we may take A to be the unit circle and
B to have radius r_B<1.  We may rotate the picture so that P has
an angle of alpha and Q has an angle of -alpha with the real
axis.  Now choose a curve in polar coordinates with
the desired properties, say theta(t) = alpha*2/pi*arcsin(t),
r(t) = (t+1)/2*(1-r_B)+r_B.  Set z(t) = r(t)*e^(i*theta(t));
the final answer is f^-1(z(t)).

Some notes on fractional linear transformations:  These are
circle-preserving (if you count lines as circles) transformations of
the complex plane.  The composition of two flt's is an flt. (Indeed,
there is a rule of composition:  Write the four coefficients a,b,c, and
d as 2 x 2 matrices and multiply the matrices.)  We can build the flt
we want for this problem in stages:  First, translate the circles so
that A is centered at the origin.  Second, scale (multiply by a complex
scalar) so that A has radius 1.  Third, apply the map z->1/z to put B
inside A.  Fourth, rotate so that B's center is on the real axis.
B now intersects the real axis in two point b_1 and b_2.  Fifth
and finally, apply the flt (a*z+b)/(c*z+d) with coefficients
satisfying a+b = c+d, a-b = c-d, and (a*b_1+b)/(c*b_1+d) =
-(a*b_2+b)/(c*b_2+d), with a,b,c, and d real.  This flt will
not move A but will shift B so that it too is centered at the
origin.

This is probably not the easiest solution to carry out, but
it carries a moral:  You can often simplify a problem about
circles using flt's.
---
Greg

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) (09/03/89)

In article <439@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) writes:
>I spent last night puzzling over this one, I still don't have an answer.
>
>Given:
>	A, B circles in R2 and an two points P & Q, one on
>each circle (P on A, Q on B).
>
>Construct a curve C with endpoints P & Q such that the curve is
>normal to A & B at P & Q.  C only intersects A & B at P & Q.  The
>function describing the curve should be differentiable at all
>points on the curve except P & Q.  C is made up of at most 2
>segments (3 parametric quadratics won't do! :-).

You might try a cubic spline. A simpler solution eludes me at the moment.
What type of curve, anyway?
--

	-Compliments of	       /// |* All thoughts and comments are soley     *|