[sci.math] Plotting great-circle tracks

mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) (09/15/89)

I'm looking for references to algorithms that can take two coordinates
on a sphere, and produce a set of points that describe the shortest path
between those two points.  The closer these algorithms come to carto-
graphic techniques of plotting great circle tracks in a two-dimensional
space, the better.

Please respond by email; I'll summarize in a week or so.

Robert Dorsett
Internet: rdd@rascal.ics.utexas.edu
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!rascal.ics.utexas.edu!rdd

hallett@pet3.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (09/15/89)

In article <18393@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) writes:

>I'm looking for references to algorithms that can take two coordinates
>on a sphere, and produce a set of points that describe the shortest path
>between those two points.  The closer these algorithms come to carto-
>graphic techniques of plotting great circle tracks in a two-dimensional
>space, the better.

You are basically looking for the geodesic between the two points and
then taking the shortest connective segment of the geodesic.  Any book
on differential geometry will have the solution for you (I don't have
it with me).

Another method would be to determine the plane defined by the two
points and the sphere center.  Find the intersection of the sphere
with that plane, a circle in the plane. The shorter segment of that
circle bounded by the two points is the track you seek.

(Of course, these are really the same methods.  However, determining
the true geodesic would then simply extend the problem to any
differentiable manifold.)

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414