[sci.math] math software

agc@briar.philips.com (Aldo G. Cugnini;6080;2.08d;$0205) (11/07/89)

Has anyone used software similar to MathCad on other than a PC?
(MathCad is a PC package which, for example, performs calculations,
does array math such as FFT's, and has graphics (2- and 3-D) capabilities.)
I have used it in the past on a PC, but don't have access to one now.
I understand ILB is available on workstations, but I don't need anything
that powerful, and am already comfortable with MathCad.  I'd like to have
these capabilities on VMS or UNIX.  Any suggestions?

hallett@positron.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (11/07/89)

In article <67496@philabs.Philips.Com> agc@briar.philips.com (Aldo G. Cugnini;6080;2.08d;$0205) writes:
>Has anyone used software similar to MathCad on other than a PC?
>(MathCad is a PC package which, for example, performs calculations,
>does array math such as FFT's, and has graphics (2- and 3-D) capabilities.)
>I have used it in the past on a PC, but don't have access to one now.
>I understand ILB is available on workstations, but I don't need anything
>that powerful, and am already comfortable with MathCad.  I'd like to have
>these capabilities on VMS or UNIX.  Any suggestions?

Yeah, try Mathematica. It is the  Cadillac of math-processing programs
today.   Full symbolic manipulation,    numeric, plotting, the  works.
Supports a nice notebook for organizing your stuff.

Currently it runs on Sun  and Mac and  a coupla  others.   Retails for
$795.

	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201
	    (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallett@gemed.ge.com
     "Your logic was impeccable Captain. We are in grave danger."

sasingh@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Sanjay Singh) (11/17/89)

Jeffrey A. Hallet writes:
>Yeah, try Mathematica. It is the  Cadillac of math-processing programs
>today.   Full symbolic manipulation,    numeric, plotting, the  works.
>Supports a nice notebook for organizing your stuff.
>
>Currently it runs on Sun  and Mac and  a coupla  others.   Retails for
>$795.

You may want to look into into Maple. I like it, but I might be a little
biased since the Symbolic Computation Group in the CS department developed
it here. If you are willing to skimp a bit on the graphics, you can get
a very fast, powerful, and reliable package for a low price, for a large
number of machines. To illustrate: Mathematica for Cray: $160000-$240000;
Maple for Cray: $1500.

6500gsv@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (George S. Vaughan) (11/18/89)

If you are more into, on the other hand good plotting and a symbolic
manipulator with source that you can build into your code, you might
want to look at Mathlib from (oh, ask somebody with a first name account
on hmcvax.claremont.edu.)  They may be going by the name INNOSOFT now.

					George S. Vaughan

cheung@pyr.gatech.EDU (S. Y. Cheung) (11/18/89)

In article <18254@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sasingh@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Sanjay Singh) writes:

>You may want to look into into Maple. I like it, but I might be a little
>biased since the Symbolic Computation Group in the CS department developed
>it here. If you are willing to skimp a bit on the graphics, you can get
>a very fast, powerful, and reliable package for a low price, for a large
>number of machines. To illustrate: Mathematica for Cray: $160000-$240000;
>Maple for Cray: $1500.

Two major systems on symbolic math are: MacSymma and Maple.
There is an article about MacSymma in IEEE Transactions of Knowledge and
Data Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1989. MacSymma is a huge symbolic
manipulation system. From what I have seen on the net, Maple and MacSymma
can crunch quite a variety of math problems. Also, my feeling is
that the people of Maple (U. of Waterloo) are still extending the system.

As for Mathematica, it does not compare with the two systems above.
But the frontend (especially on the Mac) is impressive (I am
impressed by the 3-D plots).
--
Shun Yan Cheung
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!cheung