[sci.math] Rubik's Cube Problem

chris2@garfield.MUN.EDU (Chris Paulse) (12/19/89)

I don't claim to know anything about graph theory, but here's an
interesting problem (I don't even know how to solve the Rubik's
cube):

If I had a solved Rubik's cube, and the colors on each face were
just stickers on the black plastic surface, if I exchanged some
of the stickers, would the cube still be solvable in the normal way?

If not, I have a friend who plans to distribute them widely.  Any
pointers to a readable book on graph theory would be nice too.  The
quantum chemists use it for spin algebras.

rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Richard Pavelle) (12/19/89)

In article <5310@garfield.MUN.EDU>, chris2@garfield.MUN.EDU (Chris Paulse) writes:
> If I had a solved Rubik's cube, and the colors on each face were
> just stickers on the black plastic surface, if I exchanged some
> of the stickers, would the cube still be solvable in the normal way?

Nope. For example you could change two edge cubie colors and it could
not be solved from that position.

--
Richard Pavelle         UUCP: ...ll-xn!rp
                        ARPANET: rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU

rshelby@ms.uky.edu (Richard Shelby) (12/19/89)

In article <5310@garfield.MUN.EDU>, chris2@garfield.MUN.EDU (Chris Paulse) writes:

> If I had a solved Rubik's cube, and the colors on each face were
> just stickers on the black plastic surface, if I exchanged some
> of the stickers, would the cube still be solvable in the normal way?

Some switching of the colored stickers on cube faces makes solution impossible.
Rubik's cube has been used in lots of popular math columns, it shouldn't be
difficult to find articles.  It's also not difficult to treat Rubik's cube as
a set of n-tuples and then do proofs after determining the possible moves/
transformations.  Play around with it; I've used a subset of the trans-
formations to help teach logic.

--
Richard L. Shelby                    rshelby@ms.uky.edu
Department of Health Services        rshelby@ukma.BITNET

mikes@rtech.UUCP (Mike Schilling) (12/20/89)

From article <5310@garfield.MUN.EDU>, by chris2@garfield.MUN.EDU (Chris Paulse):

> If I had a solved Rubik's cube, and the colors on each face were
> just stickers on the black plastic surface, if I exchanged some
> of the stickers, would the cube still be solvable in the normal way?

No, there's three kinds of *parity* preserved by any legal move:

1.	The positions of the cubes fall into two sets; a legal move
	can't move between sets.  This is much like Sam Loyd's 15-16 puzzle.
2.	The orientations of the edge cubes fall into two sets.  Reversing
	a single edge cube moves from one set to another, but a legal
	move reverses an even number.
3.	The orientations of the corner cubes fall into three sets.  Turning
	a corner cube clockwise or counter-clockwise moves into another set.
	A ninety-degree legal move turns two clockwise and two
	counter-clockwise.

So if you randomly rearrange the stickers, you only get a solvable position
one twelfth of the time.

rice@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Daniel S. Rice) (12/20/89)

>  == Mike Schilling
>> == Chris Paulse

>> If I had a solved Rubik's cube, and the colors on each face were
>> just stickers on the black plastic surface, if I exchanged some
>> of the stickers, would the cube still be solvable in the normal way?
>>
>No, there's three kinds of *parity* preserved by any legal move:
[ Argues correctly that cube positions fall into 12 orbits]

	Mike's response correctly notes that *switching positions
of cubies* can result in 11 families of unsolvable cubes.  The original
post asked about moving *stickers*.  Clearly, there must be one side
cubie that is blue and red, one that is blue and green, etc., etc.,
for the puzzle to even make sense.  A corner cubie that is, say, all
orange can never be part of a solved cube.  So, strictly speaking, there
are many more than 11 unsolvable cube families if replacement of stickers
is allowed.  I suppose this is a nitpick but it seemed as if others
were answering the wrong (but mathematically much more interesting)
question.

						Dan

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (12/20/89)

writes:
>If I had a solved Rubik's cube, and the colors on each face were just
>stickers on the black plastic surface, if I exchanged some of the
>stickers, would the cube still be solvable in the normal way?

Negative.  There are certain arangment of squares that are not
``reachable'' from the solved Rubik's form.

For instance, there will never be a Rubik's cube, that started from
the solved form and was made by normal turns of the cube, in the a
form were all cubes are in their correct place and only one edge piece
is flipped:

	OOO
	OOO
	OOO

	BBB RRR GGG YYY
	BBB RRR GGG YYY
	BWB RRR GGG YYY

	WBW
	WWW
	WWW

*------------------------------*

As I remember, this is also ``illegal''.

	OOO
	OOO
	OOO

	BBB RRR GGG YYY
	BBB WRR GGG YYY
	BBB RRR GGG YYY

	WRW
	WWW
	WWW

One corner pieces flips are ``illegal'', also:

	OOO
	OOO
	OOB

	BBR ORR GGG YYY
	BBB RRR GGG YYY
	BBB RRR GGG YYY

	WWW
	WWW
	WWW

This is all from ~10 year old memory, but I am pretty sure of my
assertions.

Pax, Keith

Ps, follow-ups to sci math in hopes someone has a proof.
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

verma@mahimahi.cs.ucla.edu (Rodent of Darkness) (12/20/89)

In article <4330@rtech.rtech.com> mikes@rtech.UUCP (Mike Schilling) writes:

>No, there's three kinds of *parity* preserved by any legal move:
>
>1.	The positions of the cubes fall into two sets; a legal move
>	can't move between sets.  This is much like Sam Loyd's 15-16 puzzle.
>2.	The orientations of the edge cubes fall into two sets.  Reversing
>	a single edge cube moves from one set to another, but a legal
>	move reverses an even number.
>3.	The orientations of the corner cubes fall into three sets.  Turning
>	a corner cube clockwise or counter-clockwise moves into another set.
>	A ninety-degree legal move turns two clockwise and two
>	counter-clockwise.

>So if you randomly rearrange the stickers, you only get a solvable position
>one twelfth of the time.

	Not exactly.  What you say is true for rearrangement of the cubbies
	not the stickers.  (i.e. if you take a rubik's cube apart, scramble
	the pieces then put it back together, you have one chance in twelve
	that the resultant cube is solvable.

	Random rearrangement of the stickers could, for example, make every
	center square red, or a corner could have three white stickers.  In
	eacher case the resultant cube is not solvable, but neither case is
	treated in your above analysis.  Note that you talk about sets that
	the cubes (I use the coined term cubbies for clarity) fall into; if
	you want to analyze the random sticker problem, you need to discuss
	the sets that stickers fall into and parity about stickers etc.

								--- TS

hoey@ai.etl.army.mil (Dan Hoey) (12/21/89)

From article <5310@garfield.MUN.EDU>, by chris2@garfield.MUN.EDU (Chris Paulse):
> If I had a solved Rubik's cube, and the colors on each face were
> just stickers on the black plastic surface, if I exchanged some
> of the stickers, would the cube still be solvable in the normal way?

The probability, given an arrangement of the 54 stickers chosen uniformly from
the 54! possible permutations, is

      6     8     12
    9!  6! 3  8! 2   12!            40,122,452,017,152
           54! 12          130,253,249,618,151,492,335,575,683,325

                                         -16
                         = approx 3.08 10

The way this works is that there are 9!^6 6! ways of putting the stickers on so
that the cube is already solved, and 3^8 8! 2^12 12!/12 - 1 unsolved cubes
corresponding to each solved cube.

the twelve edge pieces and eight corner pieces of a Rubik's cube together at
random, would it then be solvable in the normal way?

Dan