[sci.math] polynomials

marek@ucrmath (03/05/90)

We have a problem that looks pretty classic, but we don't know the
solution.

You are given a polynomial with integer coefficients over n variables,
p(x_1,... x_n).  You want to know whether the polynomial is always
non-negative for non-negative values of x_i (real values).

Example 1

    p(x,y,z) = 2x^3 - x^2y + 2xy^2 + yz^2 - xyz

Answer: Yes, because it is = 2x(x^2 - xy + y^2) + y(z^2 - xz + x^2).

Example 3

    p(x,y) = x^2 - 3xy + y^2

Answer: No. (Counter example: (1,1))

In our application, all polynomials are homogeneous.

Question: what is known about the time complexity of this problem?

So far, we've been lucky, and all polynomials we've gotten have had all
non-negative coefficients, which makes the problem trivial, or we can make
a transformation to make that true.  It may get worse as we go up.

Marek Chrobak & Larry Larmore

Marek Chrobak                              email: marek@ucrmath.ucr.edu
Math & CS, UC Riverside                    phone: (714) 787-3769

dgc@vijayaraghavan.math.ucla.edu (David G. Cantor) (03/06/90)

In article <4499@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> marek@ucrmath () writes:  We have a
problem that looks pretty classic, but we don't know the solution.

	You are given a polynomial with integer coefficients over
	n variables, p(x_1,... x_n).  You want to know whether the
	polynomial is always non-negative for non-negative values of x_i
	(real values).
This is closely related to Hilbert Problem 17, solved by Emil Artin.  He
showed that a polynomial with real coefficients is non-negative for all
real values of its variables if and only if it is a sum of squares of
rational functions (not necessarily polynomials) in the same variables.
Theodore Motzkin gave a simple example of such a polynomial which is not
a sum of squares of polynomials.

For the case here, where the variables are are to be non-negative, then
it follows from Artin's reasoning that a polynomial is non-negative
if and only if it is a sum of squares of rational functions, each one
possibly multiplied by one or more of the (non-negative) variables.

For a "logical" proof, see Abraham Robinson's book on Model Theory.

Constructive methods are available.  In particular, Tarski published a
decision procedure for the real numbers which handles this problem.  The
complexity is quite large however.

In the above any real-closed field can be substituted for the field
of real numbers.

dgc

David G. Cantor
Department of Mathematics
University of California at Los Angeles
Internet:  dgc@math.ucla.edu
UUCP:      ...!{randvax, sdcrdcf, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!dgc

vicki@mathcs.emory.edu (Vicki Powers) (03/06/90)

In article <2335@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, dgc@vijayaraghavan.math.ucla.edu (David G. Cantor) writes:

> This is closely related to Hilbert Problem 17, solved by Emil Artin.  He
> showed that a polynomial with real coefficients is non-negative for all

Correction:  Hilbert's 17th problem was solved by Artin and Schreier.  They
developed the theory of ordered fields to do so.

  Vicki

--
Vicki  Powers       |  vicki@mathcs.emory.edu       	    PREFERRED
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!vicki      UUCP