[sci.math] Homework problems?

niall@nmsu.edu (Niall Graham) (03/16/90)

Eliot Moss (Moss@cs.umass.edu) writes:
>Should we establish any principle of use of this news group concerning
>requests for help to answer course homework problems? Some of the questions
>posted here occasionally have the feel that they may have been assigned in a
>class. In my opinion, I would want a student to claim that questions posted
>here relate to research, not homework. This could get messy, but there is an
>important ethical and fairness issue at stake ...		Eliot Moss

Frequently, a posting would benefit from the inclusion of a sentence
or two on the motivation/origin of the problem.  Such postings would
have several desirable properties: They would be more interesting to read.
They would allow the reader to reformulate the problem to his/her taste.
And relevant to the issue at hand: it would  be more difficult for
doers-of-homework to disguise their problems as original research.
Any comments?

Niall Graham    niall@c3.lanl.gov (despite source of posting)