[sci.math] Permanents and determinants

greg@brahms.berkeley.edu (Greg Kuperberg) (07/28/90)

Consider the 4 x 4 matrix:

    [ a b c d ]
M = [ e f g h ]
    [ i j k l ]
    [ m n o p ]

I note that the permanent of this matrix equals
(Det(M)-Det(M1)-Det(M2)-Det(M3))/2, where:

     [ -a  b  c  d ]      [  a -b  c  d ]      [  a  b -c  d ]
M1 = [  e -f  g  h ] M2 = [  e  f -g  h ] M3 = [ -e  f  g  h ]
     [  i  j -k  l ]      [ -i  j  k  l ]      [  i -j  k  l ]
     [  m  n  o -p ]      [  m  n  o -p ]      [  m  n  o -p ]

Suppose in general you have an n x n matrix M, and you can obtain
a list of matrices M1,...,Mk by changing the signs of the entries
of M with the property that the permanent of M is a linear combination
of the determinants of M1,...,Mk.  How small can you make k?  For
n=4, k=4 by the above example.  How about for n=5?
-----
Greg Kuperberg

grove@mandolin.Berkeley.EDU (Eddie Grove) (07/31/90)

In article <37817@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> greg@brahms.berkeley.edu (Greg Kuperberg) writes:
>Suppose in general you have an n x n matrix M, and you can obtain
>a list of matrices M1,...,Mk by changing the signs of the entries
>of M with the property that the permanent of M is a linear combination
>of the determinants of M1,...,Mk.  How small can you make k?  For
>n=4, k=4 by the above example.  How about for n=5?
>-----
>Greg Kuperberg

This is going to be an extremely difficult problem for general k.

Calculating the permanent is #P-complete, while determinant is in P.

So if you can prove k to be polynomial in n, or lower bound it
by a super-polynomial, you get a tremendous result in complexity
theory.

Eddie Grove