[sci.math] Recursive games

kummer@.ira.uka.de (Martin Kummer) (08/07/90)

In article <1033@fornax.UUCP> mahajan@fornax.UUCP (Sanjeev Mahajan) writes:
>It is known (I forget the reference) that all Borel games are determinate,
>My question is this: Let us, for simplicity, consider only closed games.
>the argument that 'there is a first move ...' is in some vague sense
>non-constructive. So my question is, is there a constructive version
>of this theorem, or does the question even make sense. One way
>of formulating the constructive version would be as follows: if
>for all computable strategies s of player II, one can uniformly compute,
>in a recursive index of s, a computable strategy s' of player I such that
>player II does not win then one can construct (uniformly in an index of
>the algorithm that computes s' from s) a computable strategy for player I
>such that for all computable strategies of player II, player I wins.
>If this statement is not true, can it be modified in some non-trivial way,
>so that it is true.

In article <1990Aug4.070937.6798@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> Randell Dougherty
points out that every recursive clopen game, such that neither player has a
recursive winning strategy, is a counterexample to the proposed constructive
version above.
A quite easy special case is provided by the following 3-round game which is
essentially due to Rabin (1957) :
Let f be a total recursive function which enumerates an r.e. nonrecursive set.
Two Players W and B.
Round 1: W chooses n
Round 2: B chooses k
Round 3: W chooses m
W wins iff  f(m)=n and  not f(k)=n.
Clearly, B has a winning strategy. Given any recursive strategy s for B one can
compute a strategy for W which beats s, and vice versa.

Finally I would like to enclose an exercise concerning recursive strategies
for truly infinite games:
Given a set M of natural numbers. Players W and B alternately choose finite
sets of natural numbers disjoint with any previously chosen set. The game
lasts infinitely many rounds. Let U denote the union of all sets chosen by W.
W wins iff the intersection of U and M is infinite.
Characterize those sets M such that W has a recursive winning strategy.

Martin Kummer