[sci.math] Intro Category Theory?

victor@vivaldi.itg.ti.com (Brian Victor) (08/16/90)

[Sorry if this was recently asked!]

I have been starting to get into Category Theory, but find some of the books
rather dense.  Are there any good intro books out there?  My backround is CS
with some moderate mathematics (more enthusiasm than ability, I fear!).  It
doesn't matter to me whether the texts are oriented towards math or CS.

Thanks!

- Brian
  victor@itg.ti.com

pierre@Autodesk.COM (Pierre Malraison) (08/18/90)

I've been out of the business ( of research category theoretician)
for quite a while, but sometime in the mid to late 70's arbib and manes did
some papers and a book on computer theory and catergory theory

For general intro, I cut my teeth on Mitchell , but that's out of print.
Saunders MacLane's book in the Springer series is probably ok -- i haven't
seen it but almost anything Saunders does is good.

banerjee@ksuvax1 (Anindya Banerjee) (08/18/90)

In article <VICTOR.90Aug16142815@vivaldi.itg.ti.com> victor@vivaldi.itg.ti.com (Brian Victor) writes:
>[Sorry if this was recently asked!]
>
>I have been starting to get into Category Theory, but find some of the books
>rather dense.  Are there any good intro books out there?  My backround is CS
>with some moderate mathematics (more enthusiasm than ability, I fear!).  It
>doesn't matter to me whether the texts are oriented towards math or CS.
>
>Thanks!
>

>- Brian
>  victor@itg.ti.com

A very recent (April-May 1990) book on Category Theory is:

Abstract and Concrete Categories, by Jiri Adamek, Horst Herrlich and
George Strecker. Published by John Wiley.

I took a year-long course on Category Theory from George Strecker and
we used drafts of the above-mentioned book. Since the class was
introductory and consisted of a lot of computing scientists, George
especially stressed the category of sets and the category of posets.
The book is eminently readable (both for computing scientists and
mathematicians), has excellent exercises and some new results.

Wishing you a lot of fun,
				      Categorically,
				      --anindya

knighten@pinocchio (Bob Knighten) (08/18/90)

There is a quite new book by Mike Barr and Charles Wells with the title
"Category Theory for Computer Scientists" and published by Prentice-Hall.

I've looked at it briefly and it looks good, besides Mike Barr is a friend.
Buy it.

Victoria_Beth_Berdon@cup.portal.com (08/18/90)

August 17, 1990

I, too, am starting to study category theory.  But I was afraid to post
anything on the net.  So you have done it for me, just as I would have
wanted.  I found several good ('tho still dense, but less so) references to
recommend, as well as several articles:

Books:

*The Logical Foundations of Mathematics*, William S. Hatcher, Pergamon Press,
1982.  Chapter 8:Categorical Algebra.  (A good overview)

*Topoi: The Categorial Analysis of Logic* , Studies in Logic and the
Foundations of Mathematics, by R. Goldblatt, North-Holland, 1984.
Particularly the first three chapters.

*A Course in Homological Algebra*, P.J. Hilton and U. Stammbach, Springer-
Verlag, 1970.  Chapter II.  (This is quite dense.)

*Introduction to Higher Order Categorical Logic*, J. Lambek and P.J. Scott,
Cambridge University Press, 1986.

I've been told that F. W. Lawvere is one of the early developers, too.

Solomon Feferman is mentioned much.

Saunders MacLane (one of the founders of Cat. Theory, 1945) is
probably the best place to start.  Try some articles.

Articles:

*Categorical Algebra and Set Theorectic Foundations*, Saunders MacLane.
(Sorry, I have no further reference...just an old copy)

J.L. Bell, from the London School of Economics, is writing furiously in the
topic now.  See journals such as Synthese and The British Journal for the
Philosophy of Science.

*Category Theory and the Foundations of Mathematics*, J.L. Bell, Brit. J.Phil.
Sci. 32 (1981), 349-358.

*From Absolute to Local Mathematics*, J.L. Bell, Synthese 69 (1986) 409-426.

*Categories, Toposes and Sets*, J.L. Bell, Synthese 51 (1982) 293-337.

For some general flavor:

*Working Foundations*, Solomon Feferman, Synthese 62 (1985) 229-254.

For an interesting application:

*Infinitesimals*, J.L. Bell, Synthese 75 (1988) 285-315.

*Category Theory and Concrete Universals*, David P. Ellerman, Erkenntnis 28,
409-429, May 1988.

AVOID Michal Tempczyk's *Categories and Elementary Particle Physics*,
Dialectics and Humanism 9, 119-130, Winter 1982.  He does not understand even
the most elementary notions, such as initial objects and terminal objects, or
morphism.  Nice idea he had (to model E.P.P. with Category Theory...after all,
they have had such good results with algebra.  But he hasn't managed it.)

You might try looking in the Philosopher's Index (in the reference section of
the library) for further, and more recent references of a less technical
nature than the usual math refs.  That's where I got most of these article