[sci.math] Large pairs of primes

pehoushe@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU, costllo@cs.stanford.edu (11/30/90)

Does anyone know where Dr. Basil Fawlty published the following theorem?
(published circa late 1970's ?)

Fawlty Towers Theorem:

For non-empty towers of 2,
2^2^2...^2 + 1  is prime  and
2^2^2...^2 + 3  is prime.

Thus there are an infinite number of pairs of primes.

We think the proof is too large to post to the net, but
we'd like a reference.

Tom Costello and Dan Pehoushek
Replies to:  costllo@cs.stanford.edu   pehoushek@cs.stanford.edu

bs@faron.mitre.org (Robert D. Silverman) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov30.013039.13955@Neon.Stanford.EDU> pehoushe@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU, costllo@cs.stanford.edu writes:
:
:Does anyone know where Dr. Basil Fawlty published the following theorem?
:(published circa late 1970's ?)
:
:Fawlty Towers Theorem:
:
:For non-empty towers of 2,
:2^2^2...^2 + 1  is prime  and
:2^2^2...^2 + 3  is prime.
:
:Thus there are an infinite number of pairs of primes.

Who the hell is Basil Fawlty? Is this some kind of joke? I've never heard
of this guy. Is it another crackpot?

This 'theorem' is trivially false: F16 = 2^2^2^2^2 + 1 has the factor
825753601.

:
:
--
Bob Silverman
#include <std.disclaimer>

rodmur@ecst.csuchico.edu (Dale A. Harris) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.013039.13955@Neon.Stanford.EDU> pehoushe@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU, costllo@cs.stanford.edu writes:

>Does anyone know where Dr. Basil Fawlty published the following theorem?
>(published circa late 1970's ?)
>
>Fawlty Towers Theorem:
>
>For non-empty towers of 2,
>2^2^2...^2 + 1  is prime  and
>2^2^2...^2 + 3  is prime.
>
>Thus there are an infinite number of pairs of primes.
>

>We think the proof is too large to post to the net, but
>we'd like a reference.
>
>Tom Costello and Dan Pehoushek
>Replies to:  costllo@cs.stanford.edu   pehoushek@cs.stanford.edu

Actually, I find this rather humorous, but still I think it would be
better posted to rec.arts.tv.uk.

Dale A. Harris          Chaotically Yours,
rodmur@ecst.csuchico.edu  __     __   _    ,
{Internet}               /  )   /  ) ' )  /

                        =
Let A be a subset of U. A = A. "The double complement of A,
       is like getting no complement at all", S. Moskowitz