[sci.math] Scientists and Mathematicians Who Wrote Music

ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) (02/15/91)

Some scientists and mathematicians have also been composers. I am interested
in collecting and studying examples of their compositions. I don't confine my
inquiry to the ones that were famous or particularly talented in music.

Here is all I know:

(1) Borodin was a chemist who also wrote music. He is quite famous for music
    and also known for his work in chemistry. So I probably can find out what
    I want from a library with no trouble in his case and I am not asking about
    him.

(2) Herschel, the astronomer, was also a choir director, or so I have heard.
    Apparently he made lots of arrangements for the choir but I don't know
    if he composed. Question: Where can one find the arrangements he made and
    what, if anything, did he compose himself ?

(3) Max Dresden was lecturing on historical aspects of thermodynamics and
    quantum mechanics at SUNY Stony Brook and mentioned, in a biographical
    sketch of Boltzmann, that Boltzmann took a year off to write a symphony.
    None of the historians of science I have spoken to can confirm or deny
    this. I can't find out from Dresden because he normally does not reply
    to correspondence from the likes of me. Question: Did Boltzmann write a
    symphony and if so how can one take a look at the score ? And was it
    ever performed ?

(4) In his autobiographical essay, Gotthold Eisenstein mentions that he also
    wrote music. People interested in Eisenstein are usually only interested
    his mathematics and not in his music so whatever there was may not have
    been preserved. But was it ? Are there any archives that might have such
    gems ?

I welcome any comments on the above questions and any suggestions for other
scientists and mathematicians who composed music.

Allan Adler
ghot@ms.uky.edu

jensen@milton.u.washington.edu (Lars Jensen) (02/15/91)

ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:

>Some scientists and mathematicians have also been composers. I am interested
>in collecting and studying examples of their compositions. I don't confine my
>inquiry to the ones that were famous or particularly talented in music.

I believe Monteverdi was a mathematician.
                                                  Lars

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Lars Jensen, University of Washington FM-15, Seattle, WA 98195.
jensen@milton.u.washington.edu

abrodnik@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Andrej Brodnik (Andy)) (02/15/91)

In article <16456@milton.u.washington.edu> jensen@milton.u.washington.edu (Lars Jensen) writes:
>I believe Monteverdi was a mathematician.

Don't forget signore Bounarotti or even more Leonardo ...

Andrej

allyn@milton.u.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) (02/15/91)

A slight reversal of the subject:  Galileo's father was a composer (I hear
some of his lute pieces on the radio every now and then).  There's a possibly
appocryphal story that Galileo originally (pre-pendulum) timed his
acceleration experiments by singing to himself and counting the beats.

Allyn Weaks
allyn@milton.u.washington.edu

mls@cbnewsm.att.com (mike.siemon) (02/15/91)

In article <16456@milton.u.washington.edu>, jensen@milton.u.washington.edu (Lars Jensen) writes:

> I believe Monteverdi was a mathematician.

I don't.
--
Michael L. Siemon		"O stand, stand at the window,
m.siemon@ATT.COM		    As the tears scald and start;

eapg034@orion.oac.uci.edu (Franz A. Delahan) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.203016.7687@ms.uky.edu> ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:
>Some scientists and mathematicians have also been composers. I am interested
>in collecting and studying examples of their compositions. I don't confine my
>inquiry to the ones that were famous or particularly talented in music.

>Allan Adler
>ghot@ms.uky.edu

When I was a graduate student at the University of Pittsburgh about
twenty years ago there was a professor there, a mathematical logician
named Asenjo, who had composed music, which had been performed
by symphony orchestras.

Franz Delahan, eapg034@orion.oac.uci.edu

shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter S. Shenkin) (02/16/91)

John Dunstable (mathematician, astronomer, composer).

************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb**************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin@cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***

ilan@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Ilan Vardi) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.203016.7687@ms.uky.edu> ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:
>Some scientists and mathematicians have also been composers. I am interested
>in collecting and studying examples of their compositions. I don't confine my
>inquiry to the ones that were famous or particularly talented in music.

Nilsson wrote ``One is the Loneliest Number'' performed by Three Dog Night.

ee5391aa@triton.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (02/16/91)

Not a composer, but someone's bound to mention that Einstein was a violinist.

A tale I've heard (possibly tall) concerns Heifez, a violist whose name
escapes me (all violist's names escape me ;^) and Piatagorski (sp?) all paying
A.E. a visit.  Aware that he was an amateur violinist, the three asked Ein-
stein to join them in playing a string quartet.  Much flattered, Einstein
agreed.

They sat down, unpacked, stretched, tuned up, opened music, tuned up a little
more, and got down to notes.  Needless to say, Einstein was not in the league
of the other three, and more than a little nervous to boot.  The fourth time
he got lost, Piatagorski looked up and asked, "What's the matter, Dr. Ein-
stein?  Can't you count?"

Years ago, during my Bright College Days, it occurred to me that I knew a lot
of science types who were accomplished musicians and graphic artists, but not
a single musician or artist who had any detailed understanding of either math-
ematics or science.  One day in DifEQ class, I asked the professor why this
was so.  (I should have known better than to give this particular prof such an
opening.)

He replied, "That's easy.  Everyone knows scientists are smarter than artists."

PS -- Hey!  That's one hell of a crosspost.  I hope this doesn't get out of
hand; you'll have me feeling guilty.  ;^)

  Sociology,  that descriptive pseudo-science that disguises its uncertanties
  in statistical mists as it battens on the narrow gap of information between
  	psychology and anthropology.        -- Trevanian, from _Shibumi_
  Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@triton.cirt.unm.edu

mcfarl@leadsv.UUCP (Lincoln McFarland) (02/16/91)

In article <27BC196A.16966@orion.oac.uci.edu> eapg034@orion.oac.uci.edu (Franz A. Delahan) writes:
>In article <1991Feb14.203016.7687@ms.uky.edu> ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:
>Some scientists and mathematicians have also been composers. I am interested
>in collecting and studying examples of their compositions. I don't confine my
>inquiry to the ones that were famous or particularly talented in music.

>Allan Adler

Don't forget mathematics professor Tom Lehar (sp?) poisoning pigeons in
the park.

-LRM

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (02/18/91)

I might recommend Walter Stockmayer of Dartmouth College.  He's quite
an accomplished pianist, as well as one heck of a polymer-jockey!

--
Sam Conway                             * What shape do you usually have?
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu           * Mickey Mouse shape?  Smarties

rosenblum@zodiac.rutgers.edu (02/18/91)

In article <506@spam.ua.oz>, plangsha@spam.ua.oz (Peter K Langshaw) writes:
> In article <1991Feb14.203016.7687@ms.uky.edu> ghot@s.ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:
>>Some scientists and mathematicians have also been composers. I am interested
>>in collecting and studying examples of their compositions. I don't confine my
>>inquiry to the ones that were famous or particularly talented in music.
>>
>>Here is all I know:
>
>                            All sorts of info deleted

Wasn't Emil Artin an accomplished flutist?  (I realize that's not a
composer, but it's a musician).
--

Daniel M. Rosenblum, Assistant Professor, Quantitative Studies Area,
   Graduate School of Management, Rutgers University (Newark)

ROSENBLUM@DRACO.RUTGERS.EDU \/ same machine,
ROSENBLUM@DRACO.BITnet      /\ different networks

ROSENBLUM@CANCER.RUTGERS.EDU \  / CANCER & PISCES are machines in a
ROSENBLUM@PISCES.RUTGERS.EDU  ><  VAXcluster called ZODIAC, so these
ROSENBLUM@ZODIAC.BITnet      /  \ 3 addresses all go to the same place.

trevisan@Snake.mcs.kent.edu (Vilmar Trevisan) (02/18/91)

Professor PER ENFLO  is a well-known mathematician and a (just as good) pianist.

Vilmar Trevisan

dvf@unhd.unh.edu (David V Feldman) (02/19/91)

The mathematician John Myhill was an active composer; so of his music
is on a recording primarily devoted to works of Lejaren Hiller.

Jaron Lanier, of virtual reality fame, was writing music when I was last
in touch with him, some ten years ago.

Noam Elkies is a composer; since he is a frequent contributor to sci.math
I will leave it to him to say any more than that if he wishes.

For the record, I am also a composer.

		David Feldman
		University of New Hampshire

morrow@shawm.misemi ( config) (02/19/91)

>John Dunstable (mathematician, astronomer, composer).

Rimsky-Korsakov was a naval officer and professor at the Naval Academy.
Cui, I believe, was a colonel or general.
Mussorgsky had a brief time as a subaltern in the Guards Regiment.
Indeed, I seem to recall that one of the other Russian composers of this group (who's name, embarassingly enough eludes me) was a professor of chemistry.
Usually military officers needed some form of mathematical knowledge.

Leonardo da Vinci wrote a few ditties as did Frederick the Great of
Prussia who was known for his scientific mind.

BOB

afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) (02/19/91)

 Well, I understand that Roger Whittaker was a biologist and that at
 least two of the group Queen were biochemists.

--
Pat Hertel                 Canadian Meteorological Centre
Analyst/Programmer         2121 N. Service Rd.

bk7295@csc.albany.edu (Brian A. Kell) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb19.142806.20208@cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) writes:

>    Well, I understand that Roger Whittaker was a biologist and that at
>    least two of the group Queen were biochemists.

And apparently the group Boston was formed by a bunch of electrical
engineering students at MIT.

Brian Kell                       SUNY/Albany Department of Computer Science
kell@cs.albany.edu .... bk7295@sarah.albany.edu .... BK7295@ALBNYVMS.BITNET

sethr@cbnewsl.att.com (seth.r.rosenthal) (02/20/91)

In article <6608@shawm.misemi>, morrow@shawm.misemi ( config) writes:
> Leonardo da Vinci wrote a few ditties as did Frederick the Great of
> Prussia who was known for his scientific mind.

Who by the way was a Flutist (F the G) and a student of Joachim
Quantz.

Wasn't Doppler one also?  Did anyone mention Bernoulli (one of them)?

		Seth Rosenthal

joan@ocean.med.unc.edu (Joan Shields) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.142806.20208@cid.aes.doe.CA> afsipmh@cid.aes.doe.CA (Patrick Hertel) writes:

> Well, I understand that Roger Whittaker was a biologist and that at
> least two of the group Queen were biochemists.

I'm an analytical biochemist and a classical guitarist.  How many
other scientists out there are musicians as well?  What kind of music do
you prefer playing?  Are most scientists classical musicians or do they
span all the genres of music?

Joan Shields
UNC-CH
Dept. of Anesthesiology

spike@brahms.udel.edu (Todd M Nelson) (02/20/91)

There was a Russian composer by the name of Borodin who was a chemist and
a composer.

Todd M Nelson
spike@brahms.acs.udel.edu
spike@chopin.acs.udel.edu
spike@freezer.acs.udel.edu

bauman@shell.com (Evan G. Bauman) (02/20/91)

Being a chemical engineer and an amateur flutist, I'll throw another
name in the pot.  George Blytas is the top technical guru in our
Separations/Data Research group and is also the conductor of the
Houston Sinfonietta, a composer, and as I have been told, quite
a piano player.  I asked him what he has composed.  Here's some of
the works:

	Background Music for Antigone
	Choral Pieces for Ancient Tragedies
	2 Greek Suites for Piano
	Quintet for Piano, Percussion, and Strings
	Preludes for Piano

He also has a Ph.D. in physical chemistry from Wisconsin to go along
with his patents which number in the hundreds.

	Evan G. Bauman - Combustion/Reaction Engineering
	Shell Development Company - Westhollow Research Center
	PO Box 1380; Houston, TX 77251-1380
	bauman@shell.com     "Why is abbreviate such a long word?"

jeff@zem.uchicago.edu (Jeff Adler) (02/21/91)

There is a string quartet attributed to Benjamin Franklin.
It is unconventional in that the players retune their strings
in a nonstandard way so that every note is played on an open string.
Jeff Adler				jeff@zaphod.uchicago.edu
Math Department				jeff%zaphod@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago			jda3@midway.uchicago.edu

duncan@daredevil.crd.ge.com (Art Duncan) (02/22/91)

Victor Ewald, a contemporary of Rimsky-Korsakov, was
an engineer, as well as a composer, cellist, and
horn player.

- Art

dem@caen.engin.umich.edu (Darryle E Merlette) (02/22/91)

Herbie Hancock holds a degree in electrical engineering.
You'll probably find a lot of computer musician types
(and I consider myself one) are accomplished scientists/engineers
and composers.
	D. Merlette

chrba@IDA.LiU.SE (Christer Backstrom) (02/22/91)

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical,sci.math,sci.chem,sci.bio,soc.history
Subject: Re: Scientists and Mathematicians Who Wrote Music
The swedish composer Kurt Atterberg was an engineer working at the
patent office in Gothenburg.

batali@parc.xerox.com (John Batali) (02/23/91)

Some of the most famous composers were major contributers to science
and technology.  Beethoven, for example, carried on an extensive
correspondence with Lagrange and Edmund Halley about the dynamics of
the early solar system and one of his letters contains the earliest
written account of the theory that the sun and planets formed from a
rotating, condensing, mass of gas.

C. F. E. Bach was almost as well known during his lifetime for his
investigations of the mechanisms of inter-cellular transport of
cyclic-ATP as for his music.  Georg Telemann's work on the accustic
properties of metals at high temperatures was motivated by his horn
concertos, and Vivaldi's invention of the hypersonic wind-tunnel was
one of the reasons that Italy in the 18th century was so dominant in
the aerospace industry.

And of course I don't need to remind everyone about Mozart's early
years as a UNIX pioneer.  He wrote the first version of GREP at the
age of 9.  His programming career was cut short when he discovered and
exploited the famous `ping' security trapdoor and brought the entire
Salzburg network down the day before the state visit of the crown
prince in 1769.

smortaz@handel.Eng.Sun.COM (Shahrokh Mortazavi) (02/26/91)

another one is Al Kharazmi (800 AD?), the great persian mathematician, chemist,
philosopher, writer, etc.  who invented logarithms, and after whom the
language Algol was named...

pfleury@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Patrick J. Fleury) (02/26/91)

   I notice that nobody has mentioned Marin Mersenne yet.  He
   has Mersenne primes named after him and he is also the author
   of an "aria" on which part of "Ancient Airs and Dances" by
   Respighi is based.  (For more information see the album notes
   on the Ozawa recording of AA&D put out by DG. )

midkiff@portia.Stanford.EDU (Neil Midkiff) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.013102.7369@ddsw1.MCS.COM> pfleury@ddsw1.MCS.COM
(Patrick J. Fleury) writes:

>   I notice that nobody has mentioned Marin Mersenne yet.  He
>   has Mersenne primes named after him and he is also the author
>   of an "aria" on which part of "Ancient Airs and Dances" by
>   Respighi is based.

He also, I recall from something I've read, was the first to describe
the mathematical details of equal temperament.

-Neil

ghouse@cs.jhu.edu (Mujtaba R. Ghouse) (02/27/91)

In article Message-ID: <8594@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> smortaz@handel.Eng.Sun.COM
(Shahrokh Mortazavi) writes:
>another one is Al Kharazmi (800 AD?), the great persian mathematician, chemist,
>philosopher, writer, etc.  who invented logarithms,

But this thread is about scientists who were also musicians: did AlKhwarizmi
write music?  (I am asking, *not* flaming.  I don't know the answer, and you
didn't post the names of any works on/of music that he wrote...)

> and after whom the language Algol was named ...

Algol is an acronym for `ALGOrithmic Language'.  Although the
word `algorithm' comes from his name, Algol was not named after AlKhwarizmi
directly.

(Also, I'm not sure he was Persian: he came from Khwarizm in central Asia,
and wrote in Arabic.)

refs : Webster's ninth collegiate dictionary,
       `The Venture of Islam' by Marshall Hodgson, volume 1.

-Mujtaba Ghouse

"Somewhere else, the tea is getting cold.  Come on Ace, we've got work to do!"

smortaz@handel.Eng.Sun.COM (Shahrokh Mortazavi) (02/27/91)

>But this thread is about scientists who were also musicians: did AlKhwarizmi
>write music?  (I am asking, *not* flaming.  I don't know the answer, and you

That's what I remember reading about him.  He was one of those jack of
all trades characters.  hey, if people are nominating themselves because
they are studying physics and can are taking piano lessons too, i think
Al is entitled too!

>didn't post the names of any works on/of music that he wrote...)

Im afraid i cant name any of his works.  not many can from somebody
who lived in 800 AD.

>> and after whom the language Algol was named ...
>
>Algol is an acronym for `ALGOrithmic Language'.  Although the
>word `algorithm' comes from his name, Algol was not named after AlKhwarizmi
>directly.

you could be right.  i employed trasitive clousre:

alkharzmi -> algorithm - - -> algol

i should have said the name algol is partly based on algorithm which comes
from alkharazmi's name...

>(Also, I'm not sure he was Persian: he came from Khwarizm in central Asia,
>and wrote in Arabic.)

back in 800 AD all that area was known as the persian empire...
most scientists nowadays write in english.  that doesnt make them english.
back in 800 AD, most scientists of the area wrote in arabic, it being the richest
languages for such use.