[sci.math] Intermittency

william@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (W. E. Grosso) (03/07/91)

I'm doing some research in dynamical systems for a paper
and presentation. The question : does anybody out there
know about intermittency in dynamical systems
(from what I gather, it seems to be associated with
numerical experimentation).

Thanks,

William Grosso
(william@math.berkeley.edu)

scavo@cie.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.232931.2553@agate.berkeley.edu> william@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (W. E. Grosso) writes:
>I'm doing some research in dynamical systems for a paper
>and presentation. The question : does anybody out there
>know about intermittency in dynamical systems
>(from what I gather, it seems to be associated with
>numerical experimentation).

Consider  E : R --> R  with  E(x) = \lambda exp(x) , for example.
This map experiences a saddle-node bifurcation at  \lambda = 1/e.
Now, choose  \lambda  ever so slightly greater than  1/e  and
compute the orbit of  0 , say.  This orbit will eventually
"escape" to infinity, but only after many iterations;  E^n(0)
is said to be an _intermittent orbit_ for this value of  \lambda.

See section 6.8.1 in Guckenheimer & Holmes, _Nonlinear Oscil-
lations, Dynamical Systems, and Bifurcations of Vector Fields_,
Springer-Verlag, 1983.  See also Devaney's chapter in _The
Science of Fractal Images_, Springer-Verlag, 1988 (Peitgen &
Saupe, editors) on pp.163-167.

Tom Scavo
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu

guy@physics (Guy Metcalfe) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar6.232931.2553@agate.berkeley.edu> william@ronzoni.berkeley.edu (W. E. Grosso) writes:
>and presentation. The question : does anybody out there
>know about intermittency in dynamical systems
>(from what I gather, it seems to be associated with
>numerical experimentation).

There are indeed numerical experiments using 1- and 2-dimensional maps
that exhibit intermittent behavior, but by no means is the phenomena
so limited: it is observed in certain systems of differential
equations, and in the lab.  I am most familiar with examples from
convection experiments, and, while these are the most well explored,
there are other example systems.

There are in fact 3 types of `classical' intermittency that are
distinguished by how eigenvalues leave the unit circle in the complex
plane.  These were first discussed in

\bibitem{Poman}
Y. Pomeau and P. Manneville, Commun. Math. Phys. {\bf 74}, 189 (1980).

and examples observed in convective systems by, among others,

\bibitem{intermittency_folk}
P. Berg\'e, M. Dubois, P. Manneville, and Y. Pomeau, J. Phys. (Paris)
Lett. {\bf 41}, L341 (1980); M. Dubois, M. A.  Rubio, and P. Berg\'e,
Phys. Rev. Lett. {\bf 51}, 1446 (1983); H.  Haucke, R. E. Ecke, Y.
Maeno, and J. C.  Wheatley, Phys. Rev. Lett.  {\bf 53}, 2090 (1984).

The recent book by Manneville ("Dissapative Structures and Weak
Turbulence" Academic Press, 1990?) has good discussion and more