[sci.math] A few questions on automata and languages

bam@csunb.csun.edu (brad williams) (03/19/91)

In article <13911@hacgate.UUCP> carmi@ipla01.hac.com (Aviram Carmi) writes:

>Hi, I recently came across some interesting problems and I would
>appreciate any thoughts on them, or pointers to references.

These interesting problems that he "came across" are from a takehome test
I gave last week.  Please, let him do his own test.  I'll have a word with
him in class tomorrow.  )-:

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (03/19/91)

-----

In article <1991Mar18.214618.2310@csun.edu> bam@csunb.csun.edu (brad williams) writes:
> These interesting problems that he "came across" are from a
> takehome test I gave last week.  Please, let him do his own
> test.  I'll have a word with him in class tomorrow.

Since he was willing to plagiarize our work as his on a test,
perhaps you should allow us to vote on the consequences of his
cheating.  In the academic tradition in which I was weaned, the
standard punishment for plagiarism on a take-home test was a
failing mark in the course.  This seems appropriate, given both
the importance of honesty to the academic endeavor, and also as
a practical matter, to make sure that the expected benefit of
such practice is small or negative.

Russell