[sci.math] Formal Languages Question

sreeniva@fas.ri.cmu.edu (R S Sreenivas) (05/10/91)

I am looking for a family of languages F such that:

	(i)  F strictly includes the family of regular languages, and
 	(ii) "Inclusion" must be decidable in F... that is, if L, M are
	languages in F, L \subseteq M should be decidable in F.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

-R.S.

sethb@Morgan.COM (Seth Breidbart) (05/12/91)

In article <12991@pt.cs.cmu.edu> sreeniva@fas.ri.cmu.edu (R S
Sreenivas) writes:

>I am looking for a family of languages F such that:
>
>	(i)  F strictly includes the family of regular languages, and
> 	(ii) "Inclusion" must be decidable in F... that is, if L, M are
>	languages in F, L \subseteq M should be decidable in F.

Consider the family of languages F={regular languages} U {P}, where P
is the language 1*prime (that is, a prime number of 1's).  Inclusion
is just as easy to test in this family as in the regular languages.

>Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
 ^^^

Seth		sethb@fid.morgan.com