[sci.math] Chaos

bnh@wiis.wang.com (Bill Halchin) (01/03/91)

   In the January 1991 issue of Discover magazine, there is an article
entitled "Beyond Chaos". It describes research done by Crisopher Moore,
a physics graduate student at Cornell. The information in the article is
very skimpy. He apparently came up with an algorithm for a dynamic system
that is so chaotic it is undecidable (??). It consists of transformations
on triangles & is equivalent to a Turing Machine doing an opened-ended
search. There is enough in the Discover article to nake it very interesting,
but no references. Is there a paper published on this that somebody could
point me to? Post if you want, but please send e-mail to me also. Thanks.

Bill Halchin

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (01/03/91)

In article <aymvgp.ibw@wang.com> bnh@wiis.wang.com (Bill Halchin) writes:
>   In the January 1991 issue of Discover magazine, there is an article
>entitled "Beyond Chaos". It describes research done by Crisopher Moore,
>a physics graduate student at Cornell. The information in the article is
>very skimpy. He apparently came up with an algorithm for a dynamic system
>that is so chaotic it is undecidable (??). It consists of transformations
>on triangles & is equivalent to a Turing Machine doing an opened-ended
>search. There is enough in the Discover article to nake it very interesting,
>but no references. Is there a paper published on this that somebody could
>point me to?

"Unpredictability and Undecidability in Dynamical Systems", Physical Review
Letters, volume 64 (14 May 1990) pp. 2354--2357.

According to Discover, one of the three noteworthy developments in mathematics
for the year 1990.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

ilan@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Ilan Vardi) (01/03/91)

In article <aymvgp.ibw@wang.com> bnh@wiis.wang.com (Bill Halchin) writes:

>   In the January 1991 issue of Discover magazine, there is an article
>entitled "Beyond Chaos". It describes research done by Crisopher Moore,
>a physics graduate student at Cornell. The information in the article is
>very skimpy. He apparently came up with an algorithm for a dynamic system
>that is so chaotic it is undecidable (??). It consists of transformations

The Discover article also tries to give Fermat's last theorem as an
example of a possible undecidable theorem. Apart from the fact that
Fermat's last theorem is true if undecidable, the author couldn't
distinguish between ``undecidable'' and ``not computable''. Moreover,
another section of the article dealt with the factorization of
2^2^9+1, but never mentioned that the basic idea for the algorithm is
due to Pollard. Since everyone must have mentioned this to the author
of the article, one must conclude that not only does he not know any
mathematics but he is also a bad reporter. It is strange that Discover
magazine couldn't find someone able to do one of these things
competently.  Maybe they're following the example of Scientific
American with their abysmal A.K. Dewdeney articles. In any case,
any article on the major events in mathematics in 1990 should
have mentioned the Fields medals.

john@hopf.math.nwu.edu (John Franks) (01/03/91)

In article <1991Jan2.181842.4221@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu>, edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

|> "Unpredictability and Undecidability in Dynamical Systems", Physical Review
|> Letters, volume 64 (14 May 1990) pp. 2354--2357.
|>
|> According to Discover, one of the three noteworthy developments in mathematics
|> for the year 1990.
|>

|> --
|>   Gerald A. Edgar
|>   Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY
|>   The Ohio State University             Internet:  edgar@mps.ohio-state.edu
|>   Columbus, OH 43210   ...!{att,pyramid}!osu-cis!shape.mps.ohio-state.edu!edgar

What were the other two?  Also, if you have read the Physical Review
Letters article, how about briefly telling us what is in it and
your opinion of it significance?

(N.B. Prof. Edgar is the author of "Measure, Topology, and Fractal
Geomety", Springer-Verlag, 1990 -- an excellent book on these subjects)

		john@math.nwu.edu

mikes@sylow.mscs.mu.edu (Michael Slattery) (01/03/91)

In article <aymvgp.ibw@wang.com> bnh@wiis.wang.com (Bill Halchin) writes:

>   In the January 1991 issue of Discover magazine, there is an article
>entitled "Beyond Chaos". It describes research done by Crisopher Moore,
>a physics graduate student at Cornell. The information in the article is

Discover seems to feel that this was a significant discovery because
it is a discrete system (and so has a precisely defined initial state
and set of transition rules) and yet is unpredictable (in the Turing
halting problem sense).  These same properties are shared by any universal
cellular automata space (including Conway's Game of Life).  Does anyone
know (esp. Moore if he's reading) whether there are features of Moore's
system beyond these which are of general interest?

-mike slattery, assoc prof
Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science

markv@bravo.Princeton.EDU (Mark VandeWettering) (01/05/91)

In article <aymvgp.ibw@wang.com> bnh@wiis.wang.com (Bill Halchin) writes:

>   In the January 1991 issue of Discover magazine, there is an article
>entitled "Beyond Chaos". It describes research done by Crisopher Moore,
>a physics graduate student at Cornell. The information in the article is
>very skimpy. He apparently came up with an algorithm for a dynamic system
>that is so chaotic it is undecidable (??). It consists of transformations
>on triangles & is equivalent to a Turing Machine doing an opened-ended
>search. There is enough in the Discover article to nake it very interesting,
>but no references. Is there a paper published on this that somebody could
>point me to? Post if you want, but please send e-mail to me also. Thanks.

This was a nice exercise to figure out.  I saw something like this written
up in one of the Physica Letters journals a while back.  The basic
idea is that given a Turing Machine, you can express it as fairly simple
tranformations on the unit plane, which form a dynamic system.  Then, for this
dynamic system, you might ask whether a given point will enter a particular
region of space.  But, this is identical to the question as to whether
the Turing Machine will enter a halting state,  which is (of course)
undecideable.

Very nice.  I hope someone can post the reference, I can't seem to find
my copy of the paper any more.

mark
Mark VandeWettering
markv@acm.princeton.edu

cl@lgc.com (Cameron Laird) (05/13/91)

*La recherche*, mai 1991:  numero special sur <<La
science du desordre>>, y compris articles comme "La
revanche du dieu Chaos" (un essai par P. Thuillier
sur l'epistomologie), "La physique du desordre",
"Henri Poincare, le precurseur", "Le chaos dans le
systeme solaire", "Le chaos dans le system solaire",
"Le chaos en biologie" (par R. M. May), ..., "Le
hasard des nombres" (par G. J. Chaitin), ...

*La recherche* est une revue populaire de la science,
disponible dans le plupart des bibliotheques univer-
sitaires americains.  Pour moi, elle a plus de ...
vivacite, disons, que *Scientific American*.  Je la
recommande a votre attention.
--

Cameron Laird				+1 713-579-4613
cl@lgc.com (cl%lgc.com@uunet.uu.net)	+1 713-996-8546

BJK111@psuvm.psu.edu (Barbara J. Kratz) (05/14/91)

I took the liberty of translating the following post into English.
Please excuse my less-than-excellent French-to-English ability.

.   From: cl@lgc.com (Cameron Laird)
.
.   -----begin feeble translation-----
.
.   *Research*, May 1991:  special volume (?) of
.   "The Science of Disorder", comprises articles like
.   "The Revenge of The God Chaos" (an essay by P. Thuillier
.   on epistemology), "The Physics of Disorder", "Henri
.   Poincare, The Precursor", "Chaos in The Solar System",
.   "Chaos in Biology" (by R. M. May), ..., "The [Chance?
.   Randomness?] of Numbers" (by G. J. Chaitin), ...
.
.   *Research* is a popular review of science, available in
.   most American university libraries.  For me, it has more...
.   liveliness, one would say, than *Scientific American*.
.   I recommend it to you.
.
.   -----end feeble translation-----

                                        Barbara J. Kratz
    Weather always looks worse          Dept of Meteorology, Penn State
       through a window                 bjk111@psuvm            (bitnet)
                                        bjk111@psuvm.psu.edu  (internet)