[sci.math] timing of applause

sjreeves@eng.auburn.edu (Stan Reeves) (05/21/91)

I recently returned from a technical conference in which there was a
great deal of confusion about when to applaud for the speaker.  Some
people applauded as soon as the speaker finished with the paper, and
others applauded after he/she had finished fielding questions.  This dual
applause really irked me.  I wanted to take a survey -- which is the best
time to applaud the speaker?  I realize that this group is probably not
the ideal place to ask about this, but I figured that a significant number
of the readership would be in a position to have an opinion about it.

--
Stan Reeves
Auburn University, Department of Electrical Engineering, Auburn, AL  36849

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (05/22/91)

In article <sjreeves.910520181602@eng.auburn.edu>, sjreeves@eng.auburn.edu (Stan Reeves) writes:

> I recently returned from a technical conference in which there was a
> great deal of confusion about when to applaud for the speaker.  Some
> people applauded as soon as the speaker finished with the paper, and
> others applauded after he/she had finished fielding questions.  This dual

You make me feel sorry for all us academics...have we really become so
consumed by convention and custom that we have forgotten that
applause expresses appreciation?  Unless the particular conference
you are talking about is heavily dominated by some peer pressure to
behave a certain way at a presentation, I'd say one should applaud
if the feeling to do so arises when the speaker concludes the principle
part of his talk.  I must say the spectacle of an audience looking
at one another to mime the question "gosh, should I clap or not?" elicits
sympathy from me.

But the occasions on which the "wait until questions are over" applause
behavior is observed by participants seems to be related to (1) the length
of the allotted presentation and (2) to the manner in which the
speaker makes his conclusion.
--
Greg Sandell
sandell@ils.nwu.edu