[sci.math] Great Canadian Scientists

shell@fornax.UUCP (Barry Shell) (05/23/91)

I am planning to write a new book called "Great Canadian Scientists."
Please forward your nominations to me: shell@cs.sfu.ca

The rules are that the person must be a Canadian citizen. They don't have
to be born in Canada or even live in Canada, but they must have (or have
had, if they are dead) Canadian citizenship while they are/were great
Canadian scientists.

Some obvious names that come to mind are Banting (Insulin), Hertsberg ('71
Nobel Prize, chemistry), Polanyi ('86 Nobel prize: chemiluminescence).

I'm not quite sure what should constitute greatness, and there may be a
gray area here. If you have any ideas on criteria for greatness, I would be
pleased to hear them. In any event, please nominate people even if you are
not sure they are great. I would like as big a list as possible.

Please give me a name and email address, phone number or mail address, so
that I can contact the person. If you don't know any of the above, then
give me their last known whereabouts. Also please give your reason for why
you think the person should be considered a great Canadian scientist.

After I have the list, I will choose about ten of the most interesting ones
and do in-depth biographies of those individuals in the style of Tracy
Kidder's "Soul of a New Machine." The rest of the great Canadian scientists
will appear in an appedix with one paragraph biographies.

If you have any other ideas about this project, I am interested to hear
them. From time to time I will post the results of the project to

Barry Shell   604-876-5790

4692 Quebec St. Vancouver, B.C.  V5V 3M1 Canada

shell@cs.sfu.ca

mcanally@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp (David Scott McAnally) (05/24/91)

In article <2734@fornax.UUCP> shell@fornax.UUCP (Barry Shell) writes:

 >I am planning to write a new book called "Great Canadian Scientists."
 >Please forward your nominations to me: shell@cs.sfu.ca
 >
 >The rules are that the person must be a Canadian citizen. They don't have
 >to be born in Canada or even live in Canada, but they must have (or have
 >had, if they are dead) Canadian citizenship while they are/were great
 >Canadian scientists.
 >
 >Some obvious names that come to mind are Banting (Insulin), Hertsberg ('71
 >Nobel Prize, chemistry), Polanyi ('86 Nobel prize: chemiluminescence).
 >
 >I'm not quite sure what should constitute greatness, and there may be a
 >gray area here. If you have any ideas on criteria for greatness, I would be
 >pleased to hear them. In any event, please nominate people even if you are
 >not sure they are great. I would like as big a list as possible.
 >
 >Please give me a name and email address, phone number or mail address, so
 >that I can contact the person. If you don't know any of the above, then
 >give me their last known whereabouts. Also please give your reason for why
 >you think the person should be considered a great Canadian scientist.
 >
 >After I have the list, I will choose about ten of the most interesting ones
 >and do in-depth biographies of those individuals in the style of Tracy
 >Kidder's "Soul of a New Machine." The rest of the great Canadian scientists
 >will appear in an appedix with one paragraph biographies.
 >
 >If you have any other ideas about this project, I am interested to hear
 >them. From time to time I will post the results of the project to
 >
 >Barry Shell   604-876-5790
 >
 >4692 Quebec St. Vancouver, B.C.  V5V 3M1 Canada
 >
 >shell@cs.sfu.ca

It would be nice if someone did something similar about Great
Australian Scientists.

David McAnally
kurims.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp

"Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp."
	King of Swamp Castle: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

rescorla@rtnmr.chem.yale.edu (Eric Rescorla) (05/24/91)

In article <2734@fornax.UUCP> shell@lccr.UUCP () writes:

>Some obvious names that come to mind are Banting (Insulin), Hertsberg ('71
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^
>Nobel Prize, chemistry), Polanyi ('86 Nobel prize: chemiluminescence).
Do you mean Herzberg, as in Gerhard Herzberg, the optical spectroscopy god?
or is there another Herzberg?
-Ekr

Eric Rescorla                                      rescorla@rtnmr.chem.yale.edu
Yale University Department of Chemistry             rescorla@psun.chem.yale.edu
"No his mind is not for rent--to any God or government." Peart/Dubois

ilan@leland.Stanford.EDU (ilan vardi) (05/24/91)

In article <2734@fornax.UUCP> shell@lccr.UUCP () writes:

>Some obvious names that come to mind are Banting (Insulin), Hertsberg ('71
>Nobel Prize, chemistry), Polanyi ('86 Nobel prize: chemiluminescence).

The one that comes to mind for me is Ilan Vardi.

>I'm not quite sure what should constitute greatness, and there may be a
>gray area here. If you have any ideas on criteria for greatness, I would be
>pleased to hear them. In any event, please nominate people even if you are
>not sure they are great. I would like as big a list as possible.

Hey, I'm a great guy *and* a scientist. Modesty is what makes me great.
I don't have any gray areas.

-Ilan Vardi

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May24.140433.22124@leland.Stanford.EDU> ilan@leland.Stanford.EDU (ilan vardi) writes:

> The one that comes to mind for me is Ilan Vardi.
> Hey, I'm a great guy *and* a scientist. Modesty is what makes me great.
> I don't have any gray areas.
>
> -Ilan Vardi

Ah, but you couldn't possibly be Canadian because Canadians, by definition,
are diffident and will not call attention to themselves, unless they are
in their heart wannabe Americans, in which case they head south of the
border. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
in case some humourless American misunderstands. :-)

Long live the beaver and maple leaf!

					John Hofbauer
					Austrian by birth,
					Canadian by citizenship and spirit.

Austria - what can you say about a country who's best known living males
          are Arnold Schwarzenegger and Kurt Waldheim!

buckland@ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) (05/27/91)

 One easy way to get a list of great Canadian scientists would be
 to let Isaac Asimov do the research, and consult his "Biographical
 Encyclopedia of Science & Technology" (Doubleday, 1982, 2nd edn).
 It might not be exhaustive, but I don't think you'll find any bias
 in it.

abbott@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (John P. Abbott) (05/27/91)

To do a speedy search for Canadian Scientists, use
_American Men and Women of Science_ (Dialog file 236).
You can search by country of birth:
	s bs=canada
Education:
	s ed=Univ(w)ed=Toronto
Honors and Awards
	s ha=nobel
Year of birth, sex, even current zip code.

   "American" means USA and Canada (no Mexico).  The
database includes physical and biological sciences.  You
can specify the discipline (s developmental(w)biology/id).

Ask your local science reference librarian.

Good Luck/Bon Chance.

John Abbott
NCSU Libraries

(Credentials lacking, Farley Mowat remains my most
beloved Canadian scientist)