[sci.math] tensors

johnm@dbrmelb.dbrhi.oz (John Mashford) (05/31/91)

Hello networld,

I have the following problem with tensors:

Let eta = diag(1,-1,-1,-1) be the standard metric tensor for Minkowski space
and let < , > be the associated inner product.

By taking {e(i) : i = 0,...,3} to be the standard basis for Minkowski space we
can satisfy the following equations
    <e(i),e(j)> = eta(i,j), for i,j = 0,...,3.

My problem is to find 16 vectors {mu(i,j) : i,j = 0,...3} which satisfy
    <mu(i,r),mu(j,s)> = eta(i,j)eta(r,s).

If {mu(i,j)} is a solution and L is a Lorentz transformation then {L(mu(i,j))}
is also a solution.

Any help at all towards finding a solution or proving that no solution exists
would be very gratefully received.
___

| John Mashford   Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization |
|                 Post Office Box 56, Highett, Victoria, Australia   3190      |
| Internet: johnm@mel.dbce.csiro.au  Tel: +61 3 556 2211  Fax: +61 3 556 2819  |
|______________________________________________________________________________|

erudite_signature();

mcanally@kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp (David Scott McAnally) (06/01/91)

In article <907@dbrmelb.dbrhi.oz> johnm@dbrmelb.dbrhi.oz (John Mashford) writes:
 >Hello networld,
 >
 >I have the following problem with tensors:
 >
 >Let eta = diag(1,-1,-1,-1) be the standard metric tensor for Minkowski space
 >and let < , > be the associated inner product.
 >
 >By taking {e(i) : i = 0,...,3} to be the standard basis for Minkowski space we
 >can satisfy the following equations
 >    <e(i),e(j)> = eta(i,j), for i,j = 0,...,3.
 >
 >My problem is to find 16 vectors {mu(i,j) : i,j = 0,...3} which satisfy
 >    <mu(i,r),mu(j,s)> = eta(i,j)eta(r,s).
 >
 >If {mu(i,j)} is a solution and L is a Lorentz transformation then {L(mu(i,j))}
 >is also a solution.
 >
 >Any help at all towards finding a solution or proving that no solution exists
 >would be very gratefully received.

The answer is that 16 such _vectors_ can't exist, as they would have to
be mutually orthogonal, requiring then that they be linearly independent.

This is shown by <sum a(i,r)mu(i,r),mu(j,s)> = a(j,s)eta(j,j)eta(s,s).

On the other hand, it is possible to define such an inner product on
rank 2 tensors, and to find 16 such tensors mu(i,r), and to have
the Lorentz invariance mentioned above.

David McAnally
kurims.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp

"Well, Ah'll be hornswoggled!"
"Look, your personal habits are of no interest to us."
	US Major and Graeme Garden: The Goodies (Clown Virus)