KATZ@venera.isi.edu (10/23/86)

From:  Alan R. Katz <KATZ@venera.isi.edu>

Forgive the brevity but,

The answer to the first question is NO and the answer to the second is HE CAN'T.
(Actually he can, but for a "perfect" pointlike elevator, he can't).

				Alan      (Katz@ISI.EDU)

-------

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (10/24/86)

In article <230@sri-arpa.ARPA> Joe writes:

>   Maybe someone out there can answer this one quickly. I hope its
>not too fundamental or repetitous.
>
>   Actually, now that I think about it, its really two questions:
>
>   o  Is there a difference between inertial mass and gravitational
>      mass. (I believe that is the same as asking,"is there a
>      difference between the effects of gravity and the effects
>      of being in an accellerating frame of reference?" But
>      Im sure Im making a drastic generalization.)

	The basic question is, is the ratio between inertial mass
and gravitational mass the same for everything?  If not, you would be
able to detect this by observing different rates of acceleration of
objects in a gravitational field.  This would be very problematic
because states of free fall would be impossible to define; your lab
might be free falling at a different acceleration than your lab
equipment, so you would be able to measure forces in your free falling
lab that operated on different materials to different degrees.

	If so, however, you can equate the two for convenience and
just talk about "mass".  This is in fact the case.  From the point of
view of general relativity, objects simply follow geodesics; no
matter what the composition of the object (no matter what its mass)
it will follow the same geodesics through space-time.  (This is not
perfectly true for macroscopic objects, since they have extent they
are acted upon by tidal forces which may change their trajectory
somewhat.  However, in the limit as the objects become small
in extent the assertion is true, within the framework of general
relativity.)  This is assuming free fall in vacuum, of course.

	Recently some physicists were going over the data of
old experiments trying to establish the equivalence of inertial
and gravitational mass and claimed to have found slight
differences between atoms of different atomic number.  They attributed
this to an effect related to a quantity they called "hypercharge."
Apparently their result was flawed by a sign error, however,
so it is very dubious at the moment.

>   o  Given the old "accellerating-elevator-in-space" experiment,
>      how can one within the elevator tell the whether he is
>      accellerating or under the influence of gravity?

	You could determine this by trying to measure tidal
forces (i.e., the gravitational field is not uniform, but varies
slightly through the elevator; this causes tidal forces).  Again,
however, in the limit as the elevator becomes small the two systems
are identical from the point of view of the people inside.

				-Mitsu

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (10/25/86)

In article <230@sri-arpa.ARPA> JDM%SMVL%rca.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:
    o  Is there a difference between inertial mass and gravitational
       mass. (I believe that is the same as asking,"is there a
       difference between the effects of gravity and the effects
       of being in an accellerating frame of reference?" But
       Im sure Im making a drastic generalization.)

No difference.

    o  Given the old "accellerating-elevator-in-space" experiment,
       how can one within the elevator tell the whether he is
       accellerating or under the influence of gravity?

You can't tell the difference.  This is the heart of general
relativity.

--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

james@reality1.UUCP (james) (10/26/86)

In article <230@sri-arpa.ARPA> JDM%SMVL%rca.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:
>   o  Given the old "accellerating-elevator-in-space" experiment,
>      how can one within the elevator tell the whether he is
>      accellerating or under the influence of gravity?

Well, in the elevator, the force would be exactly perpendicular to the floor
of the elevator, whereas in an elevator on earth would always have the force
aimed slightly towards the center of the elevator due to the shape of the
gravitational field.  But I think that this question is exactly what general
relativity is all about: I think one of the central thrusts was that you
couldn't tell inertia from gravity.  You could determine the shape of the
field but not any other difference (which brings up the question of whether
or not you could construct a gravity field where the force was perpendicular
to the floor - I would think so).
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    "Live Free or Die"

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (10/27/86)

> In article <230@sri-arpa.ARPA> JDM%SMVL%rca.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:
>     o  Given the old "accellerating-elevator-in-space" experiment,
>        how can one within the elevator tell the whether he is
>        accellerating or under the influence of gravity?
>
> You can't tell the difference.  This is the heart of general
> relativity.
>

> --
> - Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
>   Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

I've wondered about one "difference" which I once read about.

Hold a ball in each hand, say 1 meter apart, and level with the floor.
Then let go of them, and they will "drop" to the floor - mark where
they hit.  In the accelerating-at-1g-elevator-in-space they will hit
exactly the same distance apart.  On the 1-g-surface-of-earth
they will be slightly closer together because they fall along
radii converging at the center of mass of the earth.

What is the loophole here?  Can gravity produce parallel paths
of the falling balls, or does the elevator test only allow one ball,
or ... ?  (Please help - I'd hate to discard general relativity
because of this. :-)

--henry schaffer  n c state univ  (not physics dept)

falk@sun.UUCP (10/28/86)

> >     o  Given the old "accellerating-elevator-in-space" experiment,
> >        how can one within the elevator tell the whether he is
> >        accellerating or under the influence of gravity?
> >
> > You can't tell the difference.  This is the heart of general
> > relativity.
>
> I've wondered about one "difference" which I once read about.
>
> Hold a ball in each hand, say 1 meter apart, and level with the floor.
> Then let go of them, and they will "drop" to the floor - mark where
> they hit.  In the accelerating-at-1g-elevator-in-space they will hit
> exactly the same distance apart.  On the 1-g-surface-of-earth
> they will be slightly closer together because they fall along
> radii converging at the center of mass of the earth.
>
> What is the loophole here?  Can gravity produce parallel paths
> of the falling balls, or does the elevator test only allow one ball,
> or ... ?  (Please help - I'd hate to discard general relativity
> because of this. :-)

Two other ways:

2) weigh the ball (or time its acceleration) near the ceiling and
   near the floor.  If there's a gravity gradient, you're on a planet, if
   not, you're in an acceleration.

3) Tell the elevator operator "I'll give you this nice ball if you tell
   me if this elevator is accelerating or not"  :-)

--
		-ed falk, sun microsystems
			falk@sun.com

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (10/28/86)

Joe Buck sez:
>In article <230@sri-arpa.ARPA> JDM%SMVL%rca.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:
>>    o  Given the old "accellerating-elevator-in-space" experiment,
>>       how can one within the elevator tell the whether he is
>>       accellerating or under the influence of gravity?
>
>You can't tell the difference.  This is the heart of general
>relativity.

Actually you can tell the difference, as I am sure Joe knows.
Sufficiently sensitive instruments will detect the slight
variations from place to place in a gravitational field.  If the
accuracy of the instrument is known in advance, the elevator can
be made small enough that the variation will be undetectable.
Example: a device which can detect variations of one part in a
million, used inside an "elevator" 3 meters across, will not be
able to distinguish between a 1 g acceleration and the earth the
gravitational field at the earth's surface.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

	Physics are good for you!

galins@trwrb.UUCP (Joseph E. Galins) (10/29/86)

If the elevator is accelerating, then after a long, long time its speed will
reach the speed of light then pass it.  I know that the problem here
has to do with the fact that F=mA is false when the speed approches 'c'.
In fact F approches infinity near 'c'.  So with a constant (or even increasing
but finite) force, wouldn't the acceleration necessarly slow down as the rider
approched 'c' and hence notice that he was in an elevator?

In other words, with a constant acceleration eventually you would be going
at a speed of 'c' with no more acceleration therefore losing the 'gravity'
feeling.  Then is it impossible to simulate gravity via acceleration for
a 'long' period of time?

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (10/29/86)

< If the elevator is accelerating, then after a long, long time its speed will
< reach the speed of light then pass it.  I know that the problem here
< has to do with the fact that F=mA is false when the speed approches 'c'.
< In fact F approches infinity near 'c'.  So with a constant (or even increasing
< but finite) force, wouldn't the acceleration necessarly slow down as the rider
< approched 'c' and hence notice that he was in an elevator?
< In other words, with a constant acceleration eventually you would be going
< at a speed of 'c' with no more acceleration therefore losing the 'gravity'
< feeling.  Then is it impossible to simulate gravity via acceleration for
< a 'long' period of time?
-----------
No.  Constant accelleration means constant in the instantaneous frame of
reference of the elevator passenger.  Such acceleration can be maintained
indefinitely.  To a non-acclelerating observer, the acceleration appears
to decrease in magnitude as the elevator velocity asymptotically approaches
'c'.  This phenomenon is a simple consequence of Lorentz contraction
and time dilation.  The elevator passenger feels constant acceleration,
but never reaches a velocity 'c' with respect to an observer in any
inertial frame.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

In article <1388@trwrb.UUCP> galins@trwrb.UUCP (Joseph E. Galins) writes:
>In other words, with a constant acceleration eventually you would be going
>at a speed of 'c' with no more acceleration therefore losing the 'gravity'
>feeling.

No, acceleration at a constant rate "forever" will never exceed the
speed of light (measured with respect to the "stationary" reference frame
from which you started).  (For simplicity let's keep the discussion at
the special-relativistic level and leave cosmology out of it.)

Using primes (') for the accelerating object and no-primes-attached for
the stationary reference frame:

	dv' = a' * dt'		for acceleration a' felt by object

	Beta(t'+dt') = Beta(t') VADD dv'/c

where Beta is the velocity of the traveler measured in the stationary
frame divided by c, and VADD is relativistic velocity-combination

	Beta[A wrt C] = Beta[A wrt B] VADD Beta[B wrt C]
		      =	(Beta[A wrt B] + Beta[B wrt C])
			/ (1 + Beta[A wrt B] * Beta[B wrt C])

One also needs to take into account the relationship between time
measures between the two frames ("time dilation")

	dt' = dt / Gamma

where

	Gamma = sqrt( 1 - Beta^2 )

Combining all this, one gets

	Beta(t'+dt') - Beta(t') = a' * dt'
				  * (1 - Beta(t'+dt') * Beta(t')) / c

In the limit dt' -> 0 this becomes

	dBeta(t') = a' * (1 - Beta(t')^2) * dt'

which (using the initial condition Beta(0)==0) integrates to

	Beta(t') = tanh( a' * t' / c )

[This asymptotically approaches 1, i.e. speed of light, thereby proving
the claim made in my first sentence.]

To finish the analysis:

	dx(t') = v(t') * dt

	       = sinh( a' * t' / c ) * c * dt'

To compute the distance D traveled in ship-board time T', when half
the time is spent decelerating at -a', integrate dx from 0 to D/2
(corresponding to t' from 0 to T'/2; Symmetry! Is The Way Things Have
To Be -- Jane Siberry) to obtain

	D(a',T') = 2 * c^2 * (cosh( a' * T' / (2 * c) ) - 1) / a'

Using light-years, gees, and years for units,

	D(a',T') = 1.938 * (cosh( 0.516 * a' * T' ) - 1) / a'

This is the formula I used to calculate travel distance in my other
posting.

zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) (10/30/86)

In article <1388@trwrb.UUCP> galins@trwrb.UUCP (Joseph E. Galins) writes:
>If the elevator is accelerating, then after a long, long time its speed will
>reach the speed of light then pass it.

No, the speed will approach c but not exceed.

>					...I know that the problem here
>has to do with the fact that F=mA is false when the speed approches 'c'.

That's correct.

>In fact F approches infinity near 'c'.

No, don't forget that F drives the elevator to simulate the gravitation.
It has to be constant and equal to Fg = m0 g (m0 = rest mass).

>				...So with a constant (or even increasing
>but finite) force, wouldn't the acceleration necessarly slow down as the rider
>approched 'c' and hence notice that he was in an elevator?

There won't be an acceleration, but you can't detect that. Hence you can't
say you are in an elevator. I'll explain that in a minute.

>In other words, with a constant acceleration eventually you would be going
>at a speed of 'c' with no more acceleration therefore losing the 'gravity'
>feeling...

You probably mean 'constant force' not 'constant acceleration' but anyway,
didn't you say F=ma is false for high speeds? Acceleration causes 'gravity'
feeling (F) only at low speeds.

You have to be careful not to mix Newtonian mechanics and relativistic
mechanics.  For velocities comparable to c you have to forget everything
intuitive, all your experiences. Any time you make an inference you better
ask yourself: "Did I derive this from the relativistic laws or do I rely on
ANYTHING else"? It is difficult task and many people won't accept it.

According to Newtonian mechanics, F = ma, therefore if a constant force
acts on a body for a long time, the velocity will increase infinitely.
We know, that it is not true. Relativistic physics says F = dp/dt
where p = mv = GAMMA m0 v, GAMMA = (1-(v/c)^2)^-1/2, m0 = rest mass.
The formula says the following:
	1. The force depends on the change of momentum (p)
	   i.e. BOTH mass and velocity.
	2. If you apply a constant force, the momentum will
	   increase infinitely.

You can see that for low velocities (v<<c) mass is approximately constant
and the force (gravity feeling) depends only on acceleration. For very
high velocities (v -> c) there is almost no acceleration but the momentum
keeps increasing because the mass keeps increasing. Since the momentum or
more precisely its change is what determines the force, you won't feel any
difference. So you are right when you say there won't be any acceleration,
but that has nothing to do with a gravity feeling.

zdenek

P.S.
But I think you'd find out anyway. The human body starts to act really
funny when it moves at the speed of light. The strongest effects are on
the digestive tract.

 Men are four:
 He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him;
 He who knows and knows not that he knows, he is asleep - wake him;
 He who knows not and knows that he knows not, he is simple - teach him;
 He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, he is a fool - shun him!

 zdenek@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU  or 	...!seismo!columbia!cs!zdenek
 Zdenek Radouch, 457 Computer Science, Columbia University,
 500 West 120th St., New York, NY 10027

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (10/31/86)

In article <1529@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>Actually you can tell the difference, as I am sure Joe knows.
>Sufficiently sensitive instruments will detect the slight
>variations from place to place in a gravitational field.  If the
>accuracy of the instrument is known in advance, the elevator can
>be made small enough that the variation will be undetectable.
>Example: a device which can detect variations of one part in a
>million, used inside an "elevator" 3 meters across, will not be
>able to distinguish between a 1 g acceleration and the earth the
>gravitational field at the earth's surface.

I didn't know the General R. had a heart, although perhaps Dr. Who
makes up for it!

I think in one case as time went on time dilation would begin
setting in as well as increasing contraction (spatial) along the
line of acceleration. Also in the "static" case the vertical height
of the elevator is important since the "Mossbauer effect" could
reveal a "time rate (field) gradient", if it were present.  By
checking the "frequency" spectroscopy of sharp line emmissions
in the "horizontal" plane of the elevator using a grating spectro-
meter and comparing it with the standard (reference on a known
platform), perhaps the time dilation due to increasing velocity
would become apparent although the spacing of the grating rulings
should not be effected, unless rotated.

Then again may be we could open the door and look out!

        For those really long term acceleration experiments,
          Use PLASMAK(TM) fusion astro propulsion drive.
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+
| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {umcp-cs | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP  | decade |
+---------------------------------------------------------+--------+

cpf@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Courtenay Footman) (11/01/86)

In article <230@sri-arpa.ARPA> JDM%SMVL%rca.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA writes:

>   Maybe someone out there can answer this one quickly. I hope its
>not too fundamental or repetitous.
>
>   Actually, now that I think about it, its really two questions:
>
>   o  Is there a difference between inertial mass and gravitational
>      mass. (I believe that is the same as asking,"is there a
>      difference between the effects of gravity and the effects
>      of being in an accellerating frame of reference?" But
>      Im sure Im making a drastic generalization.)
There is none.
>   o  Given the old "accellerating-elevator-in-space" experiment,
>      how can one within the elevator tell the whether he is
>      accellerating or under the influence of gravity?

Locally, one cannot.  Key word there is locally.  If one can make
observations over a finite area, then one can tell, if the gravitational
field is varies with position.  That is, if one measures tidal forces,
it is a gravitational field, not acceleration.   This in not a contradiction
of my first answer, or of the equivalence principle -- these state that
the effects on a point object of a gravitational field and an acceleration
are identical;  however tidal forces can not be measured at a single point.
A formal statement contains incantations about "motions on a geodesic"
and "ability to locally transform the metric into Minkowski form", but
I don't think that such a statement would be particularly enlightening.

>    Any correct answer to these questions will end a heated argument
>that is rapidly degenerating into World War III. Can someone save
>the world?
>
>                            Thanks in Advance
>                                Joe

Courtenay Footman		ARPA:	cpf@lnssun1.tn.cornell.edu
Lab. of Nuclear Studies		Usenet:	cornell!lnssun1!cpf
Cornell University		Bitnet: cpf%lnssun1.tn.cornell.edu@WISCVM.BITNET

hadeishi@husc4.harvard.edu (mitsuharu hadeishi) (11/05/86)

In <1388@trwrb.UUCP> galins@trwrb.UUCP (Joseph E. Galins) writes:
>If the elevator is accelerating, then after a long, long time its speed will
>reach the speed of light then pass it.  I know that the problem here
>has to do with the fact that F=mA is false when the speed approches 'c'.
>In fact F approches infinity near 'c'.  So with a constant (or even increasing
>but finite) force, wouldn't the acceleration necessarly slow down as the rider
>approched 'c' and hence notice that he was in an elevator?
>
>In other words, with a constant acceleration eventually you would be going
>at a speed of 'c' with no more acceleration therefore losing the 'gravity'
>feeling.  Then is it impossible to simulate gravity via acceleration for
>a 'long' period of time?

	No.  The point is, the acceleration is always "felt" in the
frame of reference of the person in the elevator.  However, this frame
of reference is continually accelerating (it is perhaps pedantically
more desirable to say the person in the elevator is instantaneously
at rest in frames of reference which are moving at continally greater
velocities relative to some fixed reference 'lab' frame.)

	To put it more simply, the acceleration as observed in a fixed
lab frame is continually decreasing; it decreases until it asymptotically
approaches zero.  However, the principle of special relativity states
that all reference frames are equivalent (where by "reference frame" I
mean non-accelerating coordinate frames).  That is, in a frame which
is moving relative to the lab frame "in the same direction" as the
elevator would register a "faster" acceleration.  So the observed accelration
depends on the reference frame in which you are measuring the
velocities and times.

	However, from the point of view of someone in the elevator,
the only accelration which is relevant is the one measure in the
frame in which s/he is instantaneously at rest.  That is, in the frame
which is "moving along" with the elevator so that at the instant of
measurement the elevator seems to be at rest.  Defined in this way
(this would be the acceleration "felt" by the observer in the elevator)
the acceleration could certainly remain constant for indefinite
periods of time (of course limitations of hydrogen gas drag and micro-
meteorite penetration would cause you to think twice and then again
before trying such a stunt.)  A quick calculation shows that,
for example, after accelerating for 1 year at 1 gravity you can approach
the speed of light to well within 1% (as measured from Earth.)

				-Mitsu

gsmith@brahms (Gene Ward Smith) (11/06/86)

In article <590@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> hadeishi@husc4 (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:

>A quick calculation shows that,
>for example, after accelerating for 1 year at 1 gravity you can approach
>the speed of light to well within 1% (as measured from Earth.)

  According to my quick calculation, g = 1.0325 ly/year^2, and so after
one year at one g, one is going tanh(1.0325) = .775c.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
 This posting was made possible by a grant from the Mobil Corporation

awpaeth@watcgl.UUCP (Alan W. Paeth) (11/07/86)

In article <187@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> gsmith@brahms (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>In article <590@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> hadeishi@husc4 (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:
>
>>for example, after accelerating for 1 year at 1 gravity you can approach
>>the speed of light to well within 1% (as measured from Earth.)
>
>  According to my quick calculation, g = 1.0325 ly/year^2, and so after
>one year at one g, one is going tanh(1.0325) = .775c.

When one hits a velocity of sqrt(.5) =~ .7071c then the Lorentz equation
gives a dilation of sqrt(2)=1.414, so the "ground made good" as seen by
someone in the spaceship is exactly 1.00c.

Now .7071 isn't .775 to within a percent, but perhaps this is what was meant.

    /Alan Paeth

ephraim@uw-larry (Carrick Talmadge) (11/08/86)

In article <523@husc6.HARVARD.EDU> hadeishi@husc4.UUCP (mitsuharu hadeishi) writes:
>	Recently some physicists were going over the data of
>old experiments trying to establish the equivalence of inertial
>and gravitational mass and claimed to have found slight
>differences between atoms of different atomic number.  They attributed
>this to an effect related to a quantity they called "hypercharge."
>Apparently their result was flawed by a sign error, however,
>so it is very dubious at the moment.

Actually the "sign error" in the original analysis as now been resolved.
There was a sign *discrepancy* between the result implied by the Eotvos
experiment (the 1908 experiment you refer to), when one analyzes the
experimental result in terms a spherical rotating Earth, and the result implied
by the geophysical result of Frank Stacey.  For purposes of analyzing such
experiments as the Eotvos experiment, this simple model of the Earth appears
inadequate (at least if one is discussing the possibility of an intermediate
range force [one whose range is on the order of a few hundred meters]).
When a more realistic model is employed (one which takes into account the
local matter distribution), there no longer appears to be any real
problems with the analysis.

Of course the real question at this time is whether such an effect actually
exists in nature, but this can only be resolved by ongoing experiments
(such as three which are underway here at UW).  An interesing article
on the current status of the "fifth force" may be found in the latest
Physics Today.

Carrick Talmadge