[sci.physics] Flashes in space

asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) (10/29/86)

In article <58@reality1.UUCP>, james@reality1.UUCP (james) writes:

> I seem to recall that on one of the Apollo missions that astronauts reported
> seeing strange flashes of light.  This was a long time ago, and I wasn't even
> in high school at the time, so I may just be the victim of a modern "old
> wive's tale".  Does anyone else remember anything about this and/or the
> cause?
> --
> James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    "Live Free or Die"

No.  The famous story was about John Glenn's ride into orbit in the Gemini.
He noted that sparkling objects were hovering outside the viewport of the
capsule and speculated on what they could be.  Since some of the particles
were seen to be "following" the capsule it was though they were flecks of
ice or paint from the Gemini itself.  They could not have been Cerenkov
flashes, as those are photon events and therefore could not be objects
maintaining an orbit.
--
From the manic ravings of J.R. (May the farce be with you) Stoner

jpierre@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (John Pierre) (10/30/86)

In article <130@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>In article <58@reality1.UUCP>, james@reality1.UUCP (james) writes:
>
>> I seem to recall that on one of the Apollo missions that astronauts reported
>> seeing strange flashes of light.  This was a long time ago, and I wasn't even
>> in high school at the time, so I may just be the victim of a modern "old
>> wive's tale".  Does anyone else remember anything about this and/or the
>> cause?
>> --
>> James R. Van Artsdalen   ...!ut-ngp!utastro!osi3b2!james    "Live Free or Die"
>
>No.  The famous story was about John Glenn's ride into orbit in the Gemini.

the above could also be a reference to sky lab missions when astronauts
reported seeing flashes...they were determined to be cosmic rays that
had struck their retinae, making them see sparks of light.

-john pierre
 @athena.mit.edu
 @mit-eddie.arpa

zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) (10/31/86)

In article <130@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:

>No.  The famous story was about John Glenn's ride into orbit in the Gemini.
>He noted that sparkling objects were hovering outside the viewport of the
>capsule and speculated on what they could be...

>				....They could not have been Cerenkov
>flashes, as those are photon events and therefore could not be objects
>maintaining an orbit.

Don't be so fast with your conclusions. Let me remind you that the eye
is a very very bad optical device. It is the brain what makes you see
so clearly! I'm not going to start the never ending discussion about how
all the neurons in the brain get hold of the information necessary to process
the images. The fact is that once you grow up, it's there and it enables
you to understand what you see. But the brain can deal only with known
objects and only in a limited way. So if the receptors or the optical nerves
are stimulated in a new and unknown way, there is not too much the brain
can do. As a result you "see" something, but that something is not necessarily
a real object.

To conclude:

	1. When the visual cortex tells you, that you see something,
	   that information alone doesn't enable you to tell, whether
	   the object you "see" exists.

	2. Since you don't even know if the object exists, it doesn't
	   make too much sense to speculate if the object is "here" or
	   "there", let alone if it's maintaining an orbit.

And the moral of the story - When you perform any measurment in physics,
use only instruments you understand. If you have to use an unreliable
device, consider it before making the conclusion.

zdenek

 Men are four:
 He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him;
 He who knows and knows not that he knows, he is asleep - wake him;
 He who knows not and knows that he knows not, he is simple - teach him;
 He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, he is a fool - shun him!

 zdenek@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU  or 	...!seismo!columbia!cs!zdenek
 Zdenek Radouch, 457 Computer Science, Columbia University,
 500 West 120th St., New York, NY 10027

In article <3640@columbia.UUCP>, zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) writes:
>In article <130@cpro.UUCP> asgard@cpro.UUCP (J.R. Stoner) writes:
>>
>>No.  The famous story was about John Glenn's ride into orbit in the Gemini.
>>He noted that sparkling objects were hovering outside the viewport of the
>>capsule and speculated on what they could be...
>
>>				....They could not have been Cerenkov
>>flashes, as those are photon events and therefore could not be objects
>>maintaining an orbit.
>
>Don't be so fast with your conclusions. Let me remind you that the eye
>is a very very bad optical device. It is the brain what makes you see
>so clearly! I'm not going to start the never ending discussion about how

Perhaps Glenn was mistaken, but wasn't his impression of something which
was _hovering_, that is, not moving?  Cerenkov flashes would just appear as
sparkles with no particular position and orientation.  (And what medium
were the flashes taking place in?  Space outside the viewport was pretty
well a vacuum.  If in the eye, the flashes would seem to follow Glenn's gaze.)
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) (11/07/86)

In article <1298@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <3640@columbia.UUCP>, zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) writes:
>>
>>Don't be so fast with your conclusions. Let me remind you that the eye
>>is a very very bad optical device. It is the brain what makes you see
>>so clearly! I'm not going to start the never ending discussion about how
>
>Perhaps Glenn was mistaken, but wasn't his impression of something which
>was _hovering_, that is, not moving?

I don't even know if Glenn said anything, let alone what he said.
All I was trying to say was that if one wants to do physics, he has
to THINK before making conclusion based on something somebody else
might have seen.

>				...Cerenkov flashes would just appear as
>sparkles with no particular position and orientation.

I also said that with something like a flash it's not even possible or at
least very difficult (using an eye) to determine it's origin. Given all
that, there's no point in speculating about the position.

What's orientation of a flash?

>And what medium were the flashes taking place in?

What flashes?

>If in the eye, the flashes would seem to follow Glenn's gaze.

Why?

There's one more thing I'd like to mention.
In the original posting, the author remembers astronauts reporting seeing
strange flashes. He asks: "Does anyone else remember anything about this
and/or the cause?" J.R. Stoner's  reply starts "No." and continues "They
could not have been Cerenkov flashes because...".  I follow this with an
article about the eye and its unreliability and there comes a followup that
quotes me, asks questions that (I think) I answered and speculates about
poor Cerenkov again.

I understand that Cerenkov radiation is really exciting subject but can you
PLEASE read the article, you are responding to, before writing the response?

Thank you,

In article <3792@columbia.UUCP>, zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) writes:
>In article <1298@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>>In article <3640@columbia.UUCP>, zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) writes:
>>>Don't be so fast with your conclusions. Let me remind you that the eye
>>>is a very very bad optical device. It is the brain what makes you see
>>>so clearly! I'm not going to start the never ending discussion about how
>>Perhaps Glenn was mistaken, but wasn't his impression of something which
>>was _hovering_, that is, not moving?
>I don't even know if Glenn said anything, let alone what he said.
>All I was trying to say was that if one wants to do physics, he has
>to THINK before making conclusion based on something somebody else
>might have seen.
>>				...Cerenkov flashes would just appear as
>>sparkles with no particular position and orientation.
>
>I also said that with something like a flash it's not even possible or at
>least very difficult (using an eye) to determine it's origin. Given all
>that, there's no point in speculating about the position.
>
>What's orientation of a flash?

Well, in this hypothetical (or real) case, there ARE a number of valid tests
which can tell where a "flash" is NOT.  Such as: cover one eye, and then the
other, then both, with the hands.  Are the "flashes" gone?  Do they return
when the hands are removed?  If so, it would take a real skeptic to say that
the "flashes" were in the eyes.  If one thought one saw the "flashes" on the
opposite side of a window, one could cover the window with something like a
piece of paper.  Are they gone?  If so, they cannot be on the near side of
the window (though they might be in the window material itself, granted).

>>And what medium were the flashes taking place in?
>
>What flashes?

The flashes you yourself were talking about above, Mr. Skeptic!  What are
you trying to discover or prove by saying "what flashes?"

>>If in the eye, the flashes would seem to follow Glenn's gaze.
>
>Why?

It would be better to say "might" than "would" in this context, granted.
An unspoken assumption was that "cosmic rays" might well be the cause of
Cerenkov flashes.  If so, and this phenomenon were in the eyes itself,
one might well expect the rays to continue penetrating the eyes no matter
what way they were pointed.  This would produce a "following the gaze"
effect, simply because the "gaze" is defined as what is being currently seen
by the eyes!

At this point, I am beginning to be reminded of Descartes's arguments which
led to the conclusion "I think, therefore I am."  One of them was that the
Deity (he didn't address the issue of whether there was a Deity or not)
was an Evil Genius (that is, who was manipulating things to fool Descartes).
Your skepticism seems to reflect an Evil Genius assumption.

>There's one more thing I'd like to mention.
>In the original posting, the author remembers astronauts reporting seeing
>strange flashes. He asks: "Does anyone else remember anything about this
>and/or the cause?" J.R. Stoner's  reply starts "No." and continues "They
>could not have been Cerenkov flashes because...".  I follow this with an
>article about the eye and its unreliability and there comes a followup that
>quotes me, asks questions that (I think) I answered and speculates about
>poor Cerenkov again.
>
>I understand that Cerenkov radiation is really exciting subject but can you
>PLEASE read the article, you are responding to, before writing the response?
>
>Thank you,
>zdenek

I wish I had your original article now, in order to point out more thoroughly
where you were unclear enough to permit further speculation.  It has since
been deleted from my site (I do not have control over the netnews here).

I'm sorry, Mr. Encyclopedia Britannica, that I cast aspersions, implicit as
they were, upon you.  Your articles had previously struck me as being rather
broadminded, educated, and tolerant of discussion and yes, dissent.  That
encouraged my reply, and I hardly expected the rebuff.  Recently what I am
seeing (and not only here, but in sci.med) appears to be an increasing tone
of skepticism almost for skepticism's sake, a Devil's advocacy, a Socratic
method exposition.  If that's what you want to do, fine.  But please don't
cast aspersions, such as the explicit aspersion you cast upon me above,
upon others in the process yourself.

This will likely be the last reply I ever make to an article which you have
joined in the discussion of.  I'd rather sit it out than have my face slapped.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

werme@alliant.UUCP (Eric Werme) (11/13/86)

Too many people:
>>>No.  The famous story was about John Glenn's ride into orbit in the Gemini.
>>>He noted that sparkling objects were hovering outside the viewport of the
>>>capsule and speculated on what they could be...

Sigh.  You netters are making me feel old (Just :-) !).  What Glenn saw was
different than what the Apollo astronauts saw.  He saw sparkling objects
drifting behind the capsule, especially right after dawn.  The fireflies,
as he called them, could be created by tapping the side of the capsule.
Turns out that they were merely ice crystals formed from venting urine or
some such.

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------+
| The Art of Programming        | Eric J Werme                |
| needs to be tempered with     | uucp: decvax!linus!alliant  |
| the Structure of Engineering  | Phone: 603-673-3993         |
+-------------------------------+-----------------------------+

zdenek@heathcliff.columbia.edu (Zdenek Radouch) (11/14/86)

In article <1316@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
[addressing me]

>I'm sorry, Mr. Encyclopedia Britannica, that I cast aspersions, implicit as
>they were, upon you.  Your articles had previously struck me as being rather
>broadminded, educated, and tolerant of discussion and yes, dissent.  That
>encouraged my reply, and I hardly expected the rebuff.  Recently what I am
>seeing (and not only here, but in sci.med) appears to be an increasing tone
>of skepticism almost for skepticism's sake, a Devil's advocacy, a Socratic
>method exposition.  If that's what you want to do, fine.....

	I don't mind any discussion as long as it stays within reasonable
limits.  The question is what are the reasonable limits. Physics is very
complex science and we "know" only so much. There is nothing wrong with
discussing even the wildest ideas in physics and its laws, because, as we
found many times in the past even the most elementary laws can be wrong.
But there are some rules for the discussion. You might not agree with me
about a particular law but we must ABSOLUTELY agree on the methods of
discussion. Also, we have to make sure that we know and are aware of the
possible differences between the real phenomena and their interpretations.
In the case of this posting, attempts were made to identify "flashes" as
result of a particular physical phenomenon. My objection is not that somebody
thinks its Cerenkov radiation. I'm saying that before we start to talk about
flashes in vacuum and Cerenkov radiation, we should find out if there really
was anything like that. Similarly you shouldn't speculate if my hair got gray
as a result of the stress during my work, or because it's natural at my age.
It's a wig...

The case of sci.med is even worse. The question if all the intelligence in
the brain is acquired or inherited is very old and still not resolved. Just
that and the fact that I like to play the Devil's advocate would make me
argue for the other side.
And when somebody says "it's inherited, there is an EVIDENCE..." Do you expect
me to say "Oh yeah, I believe it"?

	Yes, I am skeptical, sometimes for the sake of skepticism.
I always play the Devil's advocate. I have found that the systematic doubt
is extremely beneficial, especialy in the sciences.
You don't like Socrates and his methods of "systematic doubt and questioning
of another to reveal his hidden ignorance..."?  You believe that they are in
contradiction with being "broadminded, educated, and tolerant of discussion"?
Think about it.

>This will likely be the last reply I ever make to an article which you have
>joined in the discussion of.  I'd rather sit it out than have my face slapped.

Sometimes, I get really dismayed by the level of contribution to "sci".physics.
I don't mean the case when somebody asks an elementary question or even what
could be called a "stupid" question about physics. That's fine.
But when somebody "explains" a phenomenon by a theory that's equivalent to
considering little green dwarfs controlling the world, I don't consider that
to be beneficiary.  Especially for those, who can't tell...
As a matter of discouragement I often reply in rather rude way. Sorry.
The intent is not to discourage from posting, but rather to force people
to think before posting.

Once I started, one more apology. In my article about the "space elevator"
I made a joke about using digesting tract as a means of determining the speed.
The reason I posted it in sci.physics and not in sci.med was because I was
affraid in the latter they'd believe it. I didn't expect that despite the
fact that it was appended to a 4-page description of it's impossibility,
someone in the net.physics world would believe it....

zdenek

 zdenek@cs.columbia.edu  or 	...!seismo!columbia!cs!zdenek