[sci.physics] Microwave background anisotropy

willner@cfa.harvard.edu (Steve Willner) (11/16/86)

Then in article <5397@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> The original interpretation of the "isotropic background
> black-body radiation" as being cosmic rather than local
> was largely due to its isotropic nature (so far as had
> been measured initially).
>
> Now that the phenomenon is taken for granted to be cosmic
> and not local, the anisotropy that newer measurements have
> turned up is taken to indicate absolute motion with
> respect to the cosmos.

The measured anisotropy is equivalent to an Earth motion of 600-800
kilometers per second with respect to the microwave background.  (I'm
not in my office right now, but I'll be glad to look up the exact
value later if anyone wants to know.)  This means that the background
is isotropic to rather better than one part in 300.  The direction of
the anisotropy is such that it implies that the Milky Way Galaxy is
falling toward the nearest large cluster of galaxies (the Virgo
Cluster) at a speed of a few hundred km/s.  These results are not
surprising if the background is cosmological, and any other theory of
the background must explain them.

I am aware of at least one other theory, due (I believe) to Hannes
Alfven.  He suggested that the background is due to radiation from
cool dust particles in galaxies at redshifts of about 2 or 3.  It is
certainly true that if dust were present in these galaxies with the
same abundance as in our own, the universe would become opaque at about
these redshifts and we would not see any putative "cosmological"
background (i.e. a background arising at redshift about 300).  The
problem is that one needs heavy elements to have dust particles, and
most astronomers believe that the heavy elements were created in
stars in the relatively recent past, say at redshifts of 0.5 or less.
The creation time of heavy elements is less than firmly established
(to put it mildly), so dust is not ruled out as an
explanation of the microwave background.  But I know of no
explanation that places the origin of the background any closer than
this one, which is hardly local.

Incidentally, the Cosmic Background Explorer (COBE) satellite should
return extremely valuable data on the microwave background.  The
problem is getting it launched.  It was supposed to be launched into
polar orbit by the Space Shuttle; now that this is impossible, COBE is
undergoing drastic reduction in weight so it can be launched by a
Delta.  There are also some difficult ground-based observations that
might help determine the origin of the microwave background.
Steve Willner              Phone 617-495-7123        Bitnet: willner@cfa1
60 Garden St.              FTS:      830-7123         UUCP:   willner@cfa
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA  Telex:  921428 satellite cam