[sci.physics] Problem with Psi Discussion

desj@brahms (David desJardins) (11/18/86)

In article <809@oakhill.UUCP> davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) writes:
>Such events are not nearly as rare as you assume.  Just last Sunday while
>coming back from a trip to Big Bend Nat. Park I suddenly found myself thinking
>about a computer programmer friend crashing a diskette and losing valuable
>work shortly after noon.  Past experience had taught me to recognize these
>unusual changes in mental thoughts as being ESP related.  Sure enough, the
>person had been working on the weekend (a rare event in itself) and had
>accidently erase a complete diskette on his Grid at that time.
>
>Coincidence?  If this only happened once sure.  But every couple of months
>I have the same thing kind of thing happen.  No way that's coincidence.

   The problem I have with this kind of posting is discerning whether
the poster is serious.  If he is joking, then I can simply laugh and
move on.  If he is serious, I can give a disgusted groan and move on.
But I find that when I don't know which, I am unable to leave the
issue unresolved.

   Normally the way that the individual can identify the nature of his
posting is by use of the "smiley face," `:-)'.  The problem is that the
absence of the smiley face does not necessarily indicate an absence
of humorous intent.

   The solution?  Simply put, the adoption of the "serious face," `:-|',
by psi boosters, to indicate that they truly are proposing the notions
in question.  Other uses also come to mind -- I can think of many
frequent posters who could find great utility in this.

   -- David desJardins	:-|