[sci.physics] psi etc. sci.physics/sci.bizzare

pmk@prometheus.UUCP (Paul M Koloc) (11/20/86)

In article <218@mind.UUCP> dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) writes:
>The topic of psi is appropriately discussed in sci.physics
>because anomalous phenomena challenge aspects of our current
>models of the 'way things are'.  Anomalies do NOT necessarily
>require a complete rethinking of established physical principles;
>they do require, at least, some revision.
>
>For the last seven years, I have been engaged, part-time and full-time,
>in research on a variety of anomalous perceptual and energetic phenomena.
>As in any discipline, there is a great deal of literature available
>on the topic.  Much has been published in specialized journals;
>other reports can be found in Foundations of Physics, Journal of
>Applied Physics, Proceedings of the IEEE, American Psychologist,
>and so on.  ... . .

The problem is that the "physics" of strange phenomena may not yet
be known, and the technology needed to study may be lacking as well.
There is no question that these things arouse curiousities of
physicists, but it's not the kind of ho-hum day to day drudgery
that we who read this fairly orthodox group are used too.  It's
very optimistic to devote so much time to such things.  I think
there are many who do and some of them are quite popular, .. Arthur
Clarke for example.   Anyway, from time to time I myself have been
known to catch a brain wave which has carried me surf board and
all to a strange beach of exotic phenomena.

Still, I find it very uncomfortable to batter the more normal minds
with such exotic dribble, so I would suggest a new group such as
"sci.bizzare" which would be seriously devoted to the science of
understanding "difficult phenomena".  Topics could range over a
wide variety .  These might include many approaches: "how such things
could work", propose amplifying technology to measure such things,
dream up experiments to generate the specific phenomena.  They might
dabble in innovative theories related to what the cosmologies might
be elsewhere in time or space that are now no longer accessible,
because of echo washout, unification concepts, etc., etc.

| Paul M. Koloc, President: (301) 445-1075                | FUSION |
| Prometheus II, Ltd.; College Park, MD 20740-0222        |  this  |
| {mimsy | seismo}!prometheus!pmk; pmk@prometheus.UUCP    | decade |