[sci.physics] 9-volt / rocket launcher?

john@uw-nsr.UUCP (John Sambrook) (01/01/89)

In article <14335@oberon.USC.EDU> annala@neuro.usc.edu (A J Annala) writes:
>It seems strange to me that everyone replying to the original request
>for information on how to construct a reliable igniter for model rocket
>concentrated on home made igniters, estes motors, and ethical problems
>believed to be associated with disclosing information on any devices
>with explosive/pyrotechnic capabilities.  No one refered the original
>poster to the 1960's vintage books on building larger model rockets out
>of aluminum pipes filled with star shaped propellant castings with all
>of the appropriate safety precautions spelled out in great detail.  I
>don't recall the name of the specific book or author ... but we had a
>lot of fun as teenagers building 6 foot long 3 inch diameter rockets
>with a much longer range and higher boost capability than any estes
>product outside of their ramjet engines.  Only one of these "devices"
>blew up on the pad ... and as a consequence of the safety instructions
>my crew and I were all well protected behind our earthen bunker.

I remember that when I was in high school (circa 1975) the library
had an issue of "Scientific American" that described how to build
a 'model' rocket, that sounds much like the one you describe.  The
column was "The Amateur Scientist," I think.

The rocket was moderately complex, for something you build as an
'amateur.'  It definitely had an aluminum body tube.  It also
involved rather large amounts of propellant, the composition of
which I don't remember.  The article also suggested creating a bunker,
out of old railroad ties, I think.

Geez, can you imagine somebody setting off one of these puppies in
his back yard?  Not to mention the hazards to aircraft.

--
John Sambrook                        Internet: john@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu
University of Washington RC-05           UUCP: uw-nsr!john