[net.sf-lovers] Wodehouse in F&SF

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (06/21/84)

> From:  Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-RIVERSIDE.ARPA>

> I find it very hard to believe that Wodehouse ever published anything in
> F&SF.  Can the sender of this ad, or anyone else, supply story titles
> and dates as confirmation of this claim?

How about:

Oct 52  "Unpleasantness at Bludleigh Court"
Jun 55  "A Slice of Life"
Dec 55  "Mulliner's Buck-U-Uppo"
Dec 58  "Honeysuckle Cottage"

plus "Ways to Get a Gal" in DREAM WORLD, Feb 57

These are most likely reprints from some other source. F&SF
was fond of this sort of thing in the 50's. Among other such
"unlikely" authors are:

Truman Capote, Lewis Carroll, Leslie Charteris (5 sf Saint
stories --- there is a recent collection of all of the short
sf Saint stories in hardcover, THE FANTASIC SAINT), Anton
Chekhov, Agatha Christie, Daniel Defoe, Charles Dickens,
Allen Drury, C.S. Forester, Robert Graves, Edward Everett Hale,
Washington Irving, Shirley Jackson, C.S. Lewis, Jack London.
Ogden Nash, Robert Nathan, Edgar Allen Poe, Saki, James Thur-
ber, Mark Twain, Jules Verne, Gore Vidal, Cornell Wollrich,
and Oscar Wilde.
	Some of these authors also had stories in other sf
magazines. Other magazines also had the following:
	Alan Arkin, Steven Vincent Benet, Al Capp, Sid Caesar,
Guy deMaupassant, Franz Kafka, Rudyard Kipling, Madeleine
L'Engle, Alexandre Pushkin, Ayn Rand, William Shakespeare (!),
and Tennessee Williams.

The period I examined for the above is 1951-1965, using THE
INDEX TO THE SCIENCE FICTION MAGAZINES, 1951-1965 by Erwin S.
Strauss and THE INDEX TO THE SCIENCE FICTION MAGAZINES, 1951-
1965 by Norman Metcalf. F&SF continues to feature reprints
from off-the-beaten-orbit authors, a recent one that I can
remember off-hand is a Woody Allen story from THE NEW YORKER
about 5 years ago.

	  --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!
		decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my Business">

jo@SCRC-QUABBIN.ARPA (06/25/84)

From:  Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-QUABBIN.ARPA>

Many thanks to both Kenn Barry and Jerry Boyajian for tracking down the
P.G. Wodehouse stories that appeared in F&SF during the 50s.  I'm
delighted to have been proven wrong on this.