[sci.physics] Plot software wanted

pfennige@uni2a.unige.ch (11/03/90)

In article <16865@shlump.nac.dec.com>, dierick@ketje.enet.dec.com (Dominique Dierick) writes:
> So , I am still looking for a graph plotting software. I found a pointer of a
> GNU soft called Gnuplot. If someone could mail me a recent version for
> X11, I would
> be very pleased.

A nice interactive plotting package circulating in the astronomical community
is Smongo, a way more flexible and powerful than Gnuplot.
It is quite portable (written in C) and understand a lot of devices.
Here it runs on Vax, Sun and other Unix machines, and plots on various graphic
screens (Tektronix compatible, Sunview, etc.), HP plotter and prints on
Printronix, ln03 and postscript printers, a few among many more possible
devices.

It is programmable, so complicated commands can be executed with macros.
Its basic objects are vectors (of numbers or strings) on which various
operations (math or else) can be applied.  Commands such as sort, smoothing,
histogram, fft, shading etc are built-in.

The weakest part is 2D plotting, though it can produce contour plots, and do
some operations on images.

In summary, it proves here to be useful, since nearly every astronomer needing
simple or sophisticated graphs uses it!  I don't remember the exact fee, but
it should be something like $ 100-200.-, with the sources.

The authors are Robert Lupton and Patricia Monger (for more detail contact
   MONGER@SSCvax.CIS.McMaster.CA or lupton@uhifa.ifa.hawaii.edu )

	Daniel Pfenniger
        Geneva Observatory