[sci.physics] cow magnets

rp@jupiter.ll.mit.edu (Richard Pavelle) (01/11/91)

A recent Edmund Scientific catalog (#11N1), Page 149, lists
Cow Magnets. These magnets.. "allow farmers to trap metal in the
stomach of cows". Can someone explain why/how these are used?

--
Richard Pavelle         UUCP: ...ll-xn!rp

jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879) (01/11/91)

From article <1991Jan10.210958.14351@xn.ll.mit.edu>, by rp@jupiter.ll.mit.edu (Richard Pavelle):

> A recent Edmund Scientific catalog (#11N1), Page 149, lists
> Cow Magnets. These magnets.. "allow farmers to trap metal in the
> stomach of cows". Can someone explain why/how these are used?

Cows get something called "the sharps" or "hardware disease" from eating
things like nails, bits of wire, and the like along with the grass they're
supposed to be eating.  Before trying drastic measures like surgery,
farmers frequently try feeding their cow a magnet, to be specific, a cow
magnet.  These are small enough for a cow to swallow and pass
on through their system, with no sharp edges.  The idea is that, as the
magnet passes through the cow's system, it grabs onto the sharp objects
the cow has swallowed, holding the sharp objects flat and safe against
the magnet.  It's a lot cheaper than calling the vet.

Of course, back during the Oil Embargo of 73, various people concluded
that if you tape a cow magnet to the gas line of your car, it would do
magic things to the gasoline and give you 99 miles per gallon or
something.  There was a similar scam only a few months ago, with ads
for magnets in many newspapers around the country.  They said that the
magnets aligned the molecules of gasoline so that they'd vaporize
better in your carburator or fuel injectors.

				Doug Jones
				jones@herky.cs.uiowa.edu

hall@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (Hal Lillywhite) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.210958.14351@xn.ll.mit.edu> rp@jupiter.ll.mit.edu (Richard Pavelle) writes:

>A recent Edmund Scientific catalog (#11N1), Page 149, lists
>Cow Magnets. These magnets.. "allow farmers to trap metal in the
>stomach of cows". Can someone explain why/how these are used?

Yes, I was raised on a dairy farm and remember when these first came
out and what a difference they made.  The problem is that a cow's
taste is not very discriminating, they will eat *anything* which
happens to be in their feed.  This includes barbed wire, baling
wire, and lots of other things which damage their innards.  We used
to regularly have the vet out to do a rumenotomy on some cow
(rumenotomy is the operation to remove the offending whatever).
With modern farming cows are exposed to a lot more of this than a
ruminent in nature would be.  This ailment is called hardware
disease.

The idea of these magnets is that the wire (the usual offender)
attaches to the magnet and is held parallel to it so it can't
puncture the stomach lining.  It works very well.  I only remember
one case of hardware disease after we started using them.  I
watched that operation and the problem was a piece of barbed wire
about an inch longer than the magnet.  As long as the magnet is
longer than the wire they are very effective.

As long as we're on the subject the following  told to me by a
vet is good for entertainment.  Colorado State University once
decided that for a Christmas program they would invite each college
to demonstrate something they did.  All went well until it came the
turn of the College of Veterinary Medicine.  Then some students
hauled a cow out on stage and proceded to perform the above
mentioned operation (which involves cutting into the cow's stomach).
There were 2 results:

1.  The immediate, almost total evcuation of the auditorium.

2.  One certain college was not invited to participate the next
year.

jtchew@csa2.lbl.gov (JOSEPH T CHEW) (01/11/91)

>A recent Edmund Scientific catalog (#11N1), Page 149, lists
>Cow Magnets. These magnets.. "allow farmers to trap metal in the
>stomach of cows". Can someone explain why/how these are used?

Cows are none too bright (cf. Larry Niven, "How much intelligence
do you have to evolve to sneak up on grass?) and will ingest things
that aren't at all good for them, such as whatever bits of baling
wire, barbed wire, and small hardware happen to be sitting in their
feed. The cow magnet sits in one of the cow's stomachs, I believe,
where it intercepts these items before they can get into the intestines
and cause the never-get-overs.

A few years ago, there was a widespread rumor that putting a cow
magnet near your carburetor would exert some kind of magic that
increased gas mileage.  Most of us would dismiss this immediately
as another substance associated with cattle, but enough people believed
it to cause a temporary glitch in the availability of cow magnets, much
to the irritation of farmers.

--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.210958.14351@xn.ll.mit.edu> rp@jupiter.ll.mit.edu (Richard Pavelle) writes:

>A recent Edmund Scientific catalog (#11N1), Page 149, lists
>Cow Magnets. These magnets.. "allow farmers to trap metal in the
>stomach of cows". Can someone explain why/how these are used?

To catch bits of iron -- nails, etc., and give them time to be
digested before passing further and damaging the cow.  The ruminant
has several digestion chambers.  I think the magnet is largish and
plastic-coated, and stays in.  I don't know how you get the cow to
swallow it.

bagwill@swe.ncsl.nist.gov (Bob Bagwill) (01/12/91)

Don't you just hate it when a whole field full of cows with cow magnets
are facing the same way, and they pull your tractor in to the ditch :-?

--
Bob Bagwill                             NIST
Software Engineering Group/NCSL         Technology Bldg, Room B266