[sci.physics] Spectrophotometers

olson@vixvax.mgi.com (Thor Olson) (05/22/91)

In our lab we would like to become better equipped to measure
the visible spectral response of photographic film, filters, and
other computer graphics related materials.  Currently, the graphic
arts world specifies color by densitometer readings.  These provide
a three point weighted sample of the spectrum.

I would like to examine the spectrum with a much finer sample interval,
say 1-2 nm.  What recommendations for spectrophotometers can you
make?  I am interested in what you think makes a good one in terms
of accuracy, resolution, repeatability and cost, of course, but
also the ease of use, flexibility with samples and light sources,
speed of operation, ability to connect with my computer, etc.

Different applications will certainly be looking for
different things in such an instrument.  I have found it difficult
to find this type of information for equipment I know must exist.
Post to this group, or e-mail to me and I will gather and collate
the responses.

|  Thor Olson, Film Recorder Czar  |                          |
|  Management Graphics Inc         |  E-mail:  olson@mgi.com  |
|  1401 E 79 St                    |   Voice: +1 612/851-6108 |
|  Minneapolis MN 55425 USA        |     Fax: +1 612/854-6913 |

"Everyone can perform magic, everyone can reach his goal,
if he can think, wait, and fast."  -Siddhartha to Kamala

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.092634.984@vixvax.mgi.com> olson@vixvax.mgi.com (Thor Olson) writes:
>I would like to examine the spectrum with a much finer sample interval,
>say 1-2 nm.  What recommendations for spectrophotometers can you
>make?  I am interested in what you think makes a good one in terms
>of accuracy, resolution, repeatability and cost, of course, but
>also the ease of use, flexibility with samples and light sources,
>speed of operation, ability to connect with my computer, etc.

	The company to get a spectrophotometer from is Photo Research.
They have, among other things, a 2nm model, for $25,000. It is best used
with a PC.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...phri!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		tso@rockvax.bitnet
				NY, NY 10021

In article <1991May22.092634.984@vixvax.mgi.com> olson@vixvax.mgi.com (Thor Olson) writes:
>In our lab we would like to become better equipped to measure
>the visible spectral response of photographic film, filters, and
>other computer graphics related materials.  Currently, the graphic
>arts world specifies color by densitometer readings.  These provide
>a three point weighted sample of the spectrum.
>
>I would like to examine the spectrum with a much finer sample interval,
>say 1-2 nm.  What recommendations for spectrophotometers can you
>make?  I am interested in what you think makes a good one in terms
>of accuracy, resolution, repeatability and cost, of course, but
>also the ease of use, flexibility with samples and light sources,
>speed of operation, ability to connect with my computer, etc.
>
>Different applications will certainly be looking for
>different things in such an instrument.  I have found it difficult
>to find this type of information for equipment I know must exist.

	Since your application is photographic and graphic arts in
nature, my first recommendation is to contact Macbeth, a division of
Kollmorgen Corp. located in Baltimore, MD.

	Macbeth mades a wide variety of spectrophotometers for both
transmission and reflectance application.  Macbeth products are
available which display and plot true spectrophotometric data (i.e.,
in nm), in addition to providing data representation for the graphic
arts, CIE and Munsell color world.

	Since you may require correlation of spectrophotometric data to
pigment mixing, CIE and/or Munsell representations, Macbeth is probably
your best choice since they understand all of these worlds.  Something
on the order of a Macbeth Series 1500 Color Measurement System will
resolve to a few nm with no problem.

	For better accuracy and sophistication (like variable bandpass,
scanning, etc.) you could consider products manufactured by SLM/Aminco.
However, you should be forwarned that SLM does not deal with hue,
chroma, value and any aspect of the CIE and Munsell world - all you
get is energy -vs- wavelength.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry