[sci.astro] Solar Filters

lutz@ur-tut.UUCP (Dave Lutz) (10/16/86)

    A few weeks ago I submitted a question about the safety and
usefulness of welders glass as a telescopic solar filter.  I would
like to thank the many people who responded.  The following is a
summary of the responses I got.

    Most people advised against looking at the sun directly with a
telescope at all no matter what type of filter you are using.  The
chance that your filter might be damaged allowing the direct sunlight
to hit your unprotected eye is just too great.  This is especially
true when using an in-the-eyepiece filter because the heat generated
by the concentration of sunlight can crack the filter.  The only
truly safe way to view the sun is the projection method.

    Concerning the usefulness of welders glass as a filter most
people advised against it.  Welders glass is not intended for this
use and it is not optically flat.  This means that the image could
have severe distortions in it.  It is especially poor for first
hand viewing because it does not block the full spectrum of infrared
and ultraviolet light.  This means that even though you may not feel
it you have a very good chance of damaging your eyes.  One person
stated that he had looked at the sun very briefly through welders
glass and has experienced some loss of vision.  He stated that it
is not noticeable during the day but he has problems looking at
faint objects through his telescope.:-(

   A few people said that there was an article in Sky and Telescope
 concerning the issue of solar filters and viewing the sun.  It is
supposed to be a very good article and it even deals with the question
of using welders glass for this purpose.  I'm sorry to say that none
of them could remember what issue it was in.  If you can find it it
would be a good article to read if you're interested in the sun.

Thanks again for the many responses.

Dave Lutz
allegra!rochester!ur-tut!lutz

hogg@utcsri.UUCP (John Hogg) (10/16/86)

The best filter to use for looking at the sun is (surprise) one that has
been designed for looking at the sun.  These can be obtained for about
$36 Canadian at current rates, and you get a wonderful bonus: there's a
sextant attached.  The model I'm thinking of is the Davis Mk III.  It's
cheap, it's plastic, but it works.

The disadvantage from the astronomer's point of view is that these filters
cannot be installed on a telescope.  However, they are designed to be used
for staring at the full sun for extended periods, and therefore presumably
filter out all harmful rays for direct viewing.  I've used mine in past for
eclipse watching with no noticable effects.  (The issue was moot this time
around.)
--

John Hogg
hogg@utcsri.uucp

tj@alliant.UUCP (Tom Jaskiewicz) (10/17/86)

In an article, somebody writes:

>>surface, like a screen or flat sheet.  Or you may want to use a safe
>>filter.  An easy, cheap filter is welder's glass  -- number 14 or
>>darker.  Just look in the yellow pages under "welding supplies." Give
>
>   Would this be good for making a homemade solar filter for a telescope?
>I would probably make the type that fits over the end of the scope tube.
>
>   Would it be safe???

NO!

The spectrum produced by arc-welding is DIFFERENT than the solar
spectrum.  Welder's glass will not necessarily protect your eyes while
viewing the sun.

I've heard of one scientist who used his lab equipment to test welder's
glass.  He found that sometimes it will work, and sometimes it won't.
It depends who the manufacturer is.  (I heard this in 1983).

Similarly, what harms a camera is different than what will harm your
eyes.  A 5.0 or 6.0 neutral density photographic filter will let you
take a picture of the sun, but won't protect your eyes if you look
through it.

# uucp:  decvax!linus!alliant!tj ## Bernese are mountains of love. #

cmpbsdb@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Don Barry) (10/21/86)

I have run tests as well on Welding filters, and have found the
#14 and #15 filters I have tested to be perfectly safe for direct
viewing of the sun.  UV is no problem because of glass' inherent
absorption of it, as well as the design of the filter (which is designed
to filter a color temperature hotter than that of the sun's surface!).
Infrared radiation is also taken care of (one reason why these are rather
thick), even though the vitreous humour of the eye is rather opaque to
wavelengths much beyond 1000 nm.

Although with the sun, safety must *always* be the rule, several common
materials have a spectral density suitable for solar viewing.  exposed,
black-developed B&W film (say, from a leader, or custom-made) is safe if
the density is sufficient to make the sun's image of reasonable brightness.
   ****WARNING**** - the same is *not* true for color film, whose dyes exhibit
in some cases absorbances with dangerous valleys near the visible region in
danger zones to the eye.  B&W silver emulsions have a uniform absorbance
which renders them rather safe.

If in doubt, don't do it.  Projections are always the safest way.  And
*Never* use a filter material on the back of a telescope eyepiece, even
those little filters that come with telescopes.  I have heard first-hand of
one such filter that *exploded* after several minutes viewing, fortunately
when no one was looking.  The heat in this area of the telescope is most intense.

--
Don Barry (Chemistry Dept)          CSnet: cmpbsdb%gitpyr.GTNET@gatech.CSNET
Georgia Institute of Technology    BITNET: CMPBSDB @ GITVM1

markm@star.UUCP (10/21/86)

In article <779@ur-tut.UUCP> lutz@ur-tut.UUCP (Dave Lutz) writes:
>   A few people said that there was an article in Sky and Telescope
> concerning the issue of solar filters and viewing the sun.  It is
>supposed to be a very good article and it even deals with the question
>of using welders glass for this purpose.  I'm sorry to say that none
>of them could remember what issue it was in.

The article is "Safe Solar Filters" by B. Ralph Chou, School of Optometry,
Univ. of Waterloo, Ontario.  It was published in the August, 1981 issue
of SKY AND TELESCOPE.  The author states "...that metal-coated glass or
Mylar filters are safe for visual and photographic work.  Properly
treated black-and-white film is safe when two layers are used.  And
welder's glass shade No. 14 is also safe for visual use but it is
not uniform enough for use over a telescope objective, and such a filter
may crack if placed at the eye end.  Less dense shades (lower numbers)
are not suitable for direct solar observing.  Under no circumstances
should color film, smoked glass, or gelatin neutral-density filters be
used for direct solar observation."

Roger W. Tuthill, Inc. will send a copy of the article with their product
literature (they sell the "Solar Skreen", a mylar sun filter), if you
send them a stamped ($1.24 U.S.), self addressed, large envelope. The
address is 11 Tanglewood Lane, Mountainside, New Jersey 07092.  Another
company to contact is Thousand Oaks Optical, Box 314, Wyandotte, Michigan
48192.  They sell both mylar and metal-coated glass filters in a variety
of sizes.

Explicit Disclaimers:  I am speaking for myself, not Tektronix.
		       I am not affiliated with any of the companies
			mentioned in this article.
Mark Mehall			uucp:	{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!
Tektronix Inc.				tektronix!tekecs!markm
P.O. Box 1000  60-770		CSnet:	tekecs!markm@tek
Wilsonville, Oregon 97070	ARPAnet: tekecs!markm.tek@csnet-relay
Phone (503) 685-2275		FAX: (503) 682-3408 GRP III, II Auto

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (10/27/86)

In article <2445@gitpyr.gatech.EDU>, cmpbsdb@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Don Barry) writes:
                                   .
                                   .
                                   .
> If in doubt, don't do it.  Projections are always the safest way.  And
> *Never* use a filter material on the back of a telescope eyepiece, even
> those little filters that come with telescopes.  I have heard first-hand of
> one such filter that *exploded* after several minutes viewing, fortunately
> when no one was looking.  The heat in this area of the telescope is most intense.
[]
    Just to give you an idea of the care that should be taken with telescopes
even in just normal handling:

    About two months ago or so, we decided it was time to clean out the garage.
I had a little rinky-dink telescope out there that I still ocassionally used
to view the moon, but more to view the action on the other shore during the
local hydroplane races, the lens covers lost a long time ago.  After most of
the work was done, I left.  When I came back, half the garage was charred and
it was all wet.  Heres what happened:

    After I left, my father was rearranging some of the stuff that we had moved
from the garage.  He needed to move the telescope, and since there was no
convienient place to prop it up, he just set it up on its tripod just outside
the garage door.  However, the scope was aimed up onto the sky...and guess
what...after a while the sun *just happened* to move across the section of sky
where the telescope was pointed.  Yup, you guessed it.  It acted just like a
magnifying glass.  The other end of the scope was pointing down at some wood in
the garage...and...*POOF*...it all went up.  After the fire company left, the
fire investigator came over and he was stumped...he said he had never seen
anything like it.  The total damage was about $2500 - $3000.  Kind of expensive
for just a little carelessness...

Kind of bizzare, isn't it?  People still don't believe me when I tell them...

--
     Adrian Zannin            --         SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science
UUCP:       ..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (10/29/86)

> Similarly, what harms a camera is different than what will harm your
> eyes.  A 5.0 or 6.0 neutral density photographic filter will let you
> take a picture of the sun, but won't protect your eyes if you look
> through it.

	Also, never look through your view-finder when trying to take
a shot of the sun even when you've mounted the neutral density filter!!
How do you line up the shot?  Simple.  With the lens cap on simply align
your camera with the sun using the shadow of your lens as a guide.  Move
your setup around until you have minimum shadow around the lens...equal
on all sides.  Kind of like a sundial.  Simple, easy, quick and SAFE.
(Remember, however, to leave your lens cap on when not shooting...no sense
asking for trouble.)

					Happiness;
					Chip

--
             ,,
*** SOLIDARNOSC ***

		Chip Kozy   (415) 939-2400 x-2048
		Varian Inst. Grp.  2700 Mitchell Dr.
		Walnut Creek, Calif.  94598
		{zehntel,amd,fortune,rtgvax,rtech}!varian!vaxwaller!chip