[sci.astro] StarDate: November 13 The Last Picture from Mars

dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) (11/13/86)

The last picture from the surface of Mars -- after this.

November 13  The Last Picture from Mars

Four years ago on today's date Viking 1 sent back the last picture from
Mars.  It was the final curtain on a remarkable mission that had lasted
for more than six years -- and had given us the first views of the
landscape and weather changes on Mars from the planet's surface.

There were originally two Viking spacecraft.  They arrived at Mars a
few weeks apart during the summer of l976.  Each craft had two parts --
an orbiter and a lander.  The orbiters circled Mars while the landers
headed down to the martian surface.

Viking 1 landed first -- on July 20, l976 -- in an area called the
Chryse Planitia.  The very first image Viking 1 sent back was a clear
sharp picture of its own foot.  Then the camera aimed higher.  It
revealed a distant horizon under a pink martian sky -- with small
boulders scattered on sandy, red ground.

One by one over the years the orbiters and the other Viking lander fell
silent.  But for six long years Viking 1 faithfully continued to return
its data to Earth.  On today's date in the year 1982 a picture came in
on schedule.  Dark shadows on the ground indicated that perhaps a dust
storm was underway.  The next transmission never came.

Engineers at the Jet Propulsion Lab in California worked for several
months to try to get a signal.  Perhaps the lander's batteries failed
-- or perhaps an error in a computer command misdirected an antenna.
We probably won't know for sure until someone from Earth visits Viking
1 -- now standing silent on the plains of Mars.

Script by Diana Hadley.
(c) Copyright 1985, 1986 McDonald Observatory, University of Texas at Austin

david@elroy.UUCP (David Robinson) (11/14/86)

In article <1400@utastro.UUCP>, dipper@utastro.UUCP (Debbie Byrd) writes:
> November 13  The Last Picture from Mars
> Four years ago on today's date Viking 1 sent back the last picture from
> Mars.
> One by one over the years the orbiters and the other Viking lander fell
> silent.  But for six long years Viking 1 faithfully continued to return
> its data to Earth.  On today's date in the year 1982 a picture came in
> on schedule.  Dark shadows on the ground indicated that perhaps a dust
> storm was underway.  The next transmission never came.
> Engineers at the Jet Propulsion Lab in California worked for several
> months to try to get a signal.  Perhaps the lander's batteries failed
> -- or perhaps an error in a computer command misdirected an antenna.
> We probably won't know for sure until someone from Earth visits Viking
> 1 -- now standing silent on the plains of Mars.

It is known how it died.  The lander was having battery troubles
which is not unexpected for a piece of equipment designed to last
less than a year.

The expert on the software system of the lander who had since moved
on to other projects was called in to try some fancy programming
to try and help out the ailing batteries.

Because of one of many possible explainations a wrong command was sent
to the lander and the antenna (its only link to earth) is now pointed at
the ground!  They tried a variety of things including blasting the lander
with high intensity radio waves hoping a reflection off of the ground
would be picked up.  But all failed.  The lander is officially dead but
still a tremendous success in the history of NASA.

--
	David Robinson		elroy!david@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				seismo-------!cit-vax!elroy!david UUCP