[net.sf-lovers] ASTOUNDING & Queen covers

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (07/01/84)

> From:	ames-lm!barry           29-Jun-1984 21:05:40

> Now that we know that the Freas "robot" cover was not
> from the same issue as "Farewell To The Master"... what story *was*
> illustrated on the cover of the 10/40 ASF in which "Farewell To The
> Master" appeared (hint: it was not FTTM)?

The cover story for the 10/40 ASF was for SLAN by A.E. van Vogt. Now, here's one
backatcha: What was the cover story for the issue of ASTOUNDING that contained
"The Cold Equations" by Godwin (it wasn't "TCE").

>     Queen seems fond of science fiction - I recommend watching for
> their current music video, "Radio Ga-Ga", for another example of this.
> It includes many clips from Fritz Lang's "Metropolis", and other parts
> that imitate scenes from the film. Pretty good song, too.

Quite a few songs on Queen's first few albums are sf or fantasy, such as "My
Fairy King", "The Fairy-Feller's Master Stroke", "Ogre Battle", "The Seven
Seas of Rhye", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "The Prophet Song", and "'39". The guitarist
of the group, Brian May, has a PhD in Physics (or Astronomy, different sources
seem to disagree) from, I believe, Cambridge.

By the way, if you examine the ASF cover and the NEWS OF THE WORLD jacket, you
will see that the album actually doesn't use the "Gulf Between" painting; it's
a new painting by Freas done as an imitation of the ASF cover.

				  --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA