[sci.astro] Calculating the length of a year

msb@dciem.UUCP (Mark Brader) (11/18/86)

I am reposting to sci.astro an article originally sent to comp.lang.c,
in the hope that one of the gurus there may lay this argument to rest
once and for all, whereupon, perhaps, we can make it an Answer To
a Frequently Asked Question.  Many references say that, in the Gregorian
calendar, century years are leap years if and only if they are multiples
of 400.  Some people say that multiples of 4000 are nevertheless not leap
years.  Now (see below) an authority has been found to support THAT statement.

I am asking:
	* Is there in fact any particular authority that is generally
	  agreed to be responsible for this today?  After all, the
	  Gregorian calendar was originally promulgated by the Roman
	  Catholic Church; and most of us on this continent use it
	  because the British government adopted it in 1752; but neither
	  body is governing us now.
	* If there is such an authority, what leap year rule do they give?
	  If not, what leap year rules do various authorities give?
	* Is this another case such as the question, "What do you call
	  the year before 1 AD?", where astronomers say "0" and historians
	  say "1 BC"?

I have posted this to sci.astro only, but I am directing followps
to comp.lang.c only, as that is where the question originated.
Well-informed responses only, please!

End of prefatory text by Mark Brader; original article by Roy Mongiovi follows.

In article <54@vianet.UUCP>, devine@vianet.UUCP (Bob Devine) writes:
> In article <267@bms-at.UUCP>, stuart@bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) writes:
> > The years 4000, 8000, . . . are not leap years!
>
>   I, too, was certain that I had read years divisible by 4000 are
> not leap years.  However, after several people replied with "are
> you really sure?" letters, I checked.  My findings were that it is
> likely that someone did once make that suggestion but it has never
> been formally agreed to.  I never found my recollected source.

In the book "ASTRONOMY" by Franklyn M. Branley (Astronomer Emeritus,
The American Museum - Hayden Planetarium), Mark R. Chartrand III
(Chairman, The American Museum - Hayden Planetarium), and Helmut
K. Wimmer (Art Supervisor, The American Museum - Hayden Planetarium),
on page 412 while discussing the Gregorian Calendar it states:

	"At the present time the intercalation procedure is as follows:
	 all years divisible by 4 are leap years, except century years
	 which are leap years only when divisible by 400.  Exceptions
	 are the years 4000, 8000, 12 000, and so on, which are not
	 leap years."

I would have thought that the authors would have known if the "multiple
of 4000" rule had not been adopted, but who knows.  Where is this sort
of thing "officially" recorded?
--
Roy J. Mongiovi		Systems Analyst		Office of Computing Services
Georgia Institute of Technology		Atlanta GA  30332.	(404) 894-4660