[sci.astro] November Astronomical Anniversaries

canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Mr. D) (11/16/86)

[if your favorite is missing, by all means let me know and I'll
 include it for next time.  Better yet, post a followup for the
 benefit of everyone!]

             NOVEMBER ASTRONOMICAL ANNIVERSARIES

Nov  1, 1889:  E.E. Barnard observes an eclipse of Iapetus by the
               shadow of Saturn's ring with the 12 inch refractor
               at Lick Observatory.  No one else has ever seen this
               rare satellite phenomenon.

Nov  2, 1885:  Harlow Shapley born.  Director of Harvard Observatory
               from 1921 to 1952.

Nov  2, 1944:  Sir Arthur S. Eddington, noted English astrophysicist,
               died.

Nov  2, 1962:  Dedication of the 60 inch, 300 foot long McMath solar
               telescope, at Kitt Peak National Observatory.

Nov  3, 1958:  Soviet Astronomer N. A. Kozyrev observed indications
               of a volcanic process in the crater Alphonsus.

Nov  3, 1960:  Sir Harold Spencer Jones, 10th Astronomer Royal and
               Director of Greenwich Observatory, died.

Nov  4, 1934:  Arthur N. Brown, outstanding English amateur observer
               of variable stars, died.  He contributed more than
               22,000 magnitude determinations to the British Astronomical
               Association between 1906 and 1934.

Nov  6, 1892:  Edwin Holmes, a London amateur, discovers a remarkable
               periodic comet.  After having been missed on seven
               successive returns, Comet Holmes was recovered in 1964.

Nov  7, 1631:  Pierre Gassendi is the first to observe a transit of
               Mercury.

Nov  7, 1960:  Transit of Mercury across the Sun's disk, widely observed
               in the U.S.

Nov  8, 1656:  Edmund Halley is born.

Nov  9, 1934:  Carl Sagan is born.

Nov 12, 1799:  A. von Humboldt observes an extremely rich Leonid meteor
               shower from Peru.  This observation helped initiate the
               scientific study of meteors.

Nov 14, 1896:  J. M. Schaeberle discovered the white-dwarf companion
               of Procyon, using the 36 inch Lick refractor.

Nov 15, 1738:  Sir William Herschel is born.

Nov 16, 1835:  Halley's Comet passed through perihelion.

Nov 17, 1954:  Thaddeus Banachiewicz, prominent Polish astronomer and
               mathematician, died.

Nov 20, 1889:  Edwin P. Hubble, American expert on galaxies and cosmology,
               is born.

Nov 20, 1952:  Jupiter occults the star Sigma Arietis, which is observed
               by both the 60 inch and 100 inch reflectors at Mt Wilson.

Nov 23, 1725:  French scientist Pierre Bouguer made first determination
               of atmospheric extinction, by comparing the Moon's
               brightness at altitudes of 66 and 19 degrees, using
               candles for a photometric standard.

Nov 23, 1864:  William Struve, successively director of Dorpat and
               Pulkovo Observatories, died.  He founded modern double
               star astronomy.

Nov 26, 1818:  Encke's Comet discovered.

Nov 27, 1872:  Great shower of Andromedid meteors.

Nov 27, 1885:  First photograph of a meteor trail taken at Prague.

Nov 27, 1964:  V. V. Sharonov, professor at Leningrad University,
               died.  He was a distinguished planetary and lunar
               expert.

Nov 30, 1962:  J. L. Pawsey, an Australian radio astronomer, died.

stoner@noao.UUCP (Jeff Stoner) (11/18/86)

In article <4188@amdahl.UUCP> canopus@amdahl.UUCP (Mr. D) writes:
>             NOVEMBER ASTRONOMICAL ANNIVERSARIES
>Nov  2, 1962:  Dedication of the 60 inch, 300 foot long McMath solar
>               telescope, at Kitt Peak National Observatory.

Close. The McMath's diagonal shaft is 500 feet long, 300 of which is
above ground. The <original> heliostat was a 60 inch mirror (it is now
the Coude feed mirror on the 2.1-meter telescope)--a newer 82 inch
mirror now resides in the heliostat.

Trivially yours...