[sci.astro] Color questions: color systems, "black bodies", EGB palette

neal@druhi.UUCP (05/27/87)

I'm looking for information on color science and computer graphics.

1) Could someone point me to software which converts between the various
	color systems?  For example, from "dominant wavelength, purity,
	reflectance" to RGB?
	How about between the Munsell colors and RGB or XYZ?
	How about software which runs on, say, a Sun lets you navigate around
	the different 3-d color spaces?
2) How about equations to provide the xy or RGB values for various black
	body temperatures (when they say that a "G" star is yellow, I'd like
	to be more specific....)
3) Where would I find specifications on the gamuts of specific color monitors
	or tv sets?  Are they all about the same, or is there significant
	variation?
4) How would I calibrate a monitor?  What do the "hue", "saturation", etc knobs
	really do?
5) As I understand it, the color palatte of the IBM CGA standard is really
	limited to 8 colors with 2 intensities of each.  On the other hand,
	the EGA standard allows for a "64 color palatte".  Which 64 colors?
	2 bits per primary?
6) What are good reference books for questions like these?

Thanks a lot for any help!

-Neal McBurnett, ihnp4!druhi!neal

dts@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Danny Sharpe) (05/28/87)

In article <1937@druhi.ATT.COM> neal@druhi.ATT.COM (Neal D. McBurnett) writes:
>I'm looking for information on color science and computer graphics.
>
>1) Could someone point me to software which converts between the various
>	color systems?  For example, from "dominant wavelength, purity,
>	reflectance" to RGB?
	.
	.
	.
>6) What are good reference books for questions like these?

_Color_in_Business,_Science_and_Industry 3rd ed., by Judd and Wyszecki,
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1975, ISBN 0-471-45212-2.

This book isn't about software, but it does give some of the zillions of
formulas for specifying color.  It's rather expensive, and even though it's
a book about color it has no color illustrations :-(.

"Mistrust enterprises that require new clothes."

Danny Sharpe
School of ICS
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dts