[sci.astro] U.S. Mars Sample Return Mission

goldmeer@wpi.wpi.edu (Jeffrey S Goldmeer) (02/05/89)

I am a senior at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, and I am currently
working on my senior thesis.  My project is a computer simulation of
satellite orbits, including basic orbital operations:  rendezvous,
and orbital transfer.

Currently, I am looking for any information of the U.S. Mars Sample
Return Mission.  Specifiically, I am searching for data on launch dates,
launch windows, and approximate time of flight.  Any other information
about the mission would be appreciated.

Once I have gathered this data, my goal is to use my program to do
a first order approximation of the mission.

Thank you

                                       Jeffrey S Goldmeer
				       goldmeer@wpi.wpi.edu

*   Jeffrey S Goldmeer                      Box 2246                         *
*                                           Worcester Polytechnic Institute  *
*                                           100 Institute Road               *
*   Internet:  goldmeer@wpi.wpi.edu         Worcester, MA  01609             *
*============================================================================*
*    "Language is the only instrument of Science, and                        *
*          words are but signs of ideas .... "		                     *
*						-- Samuel Johnson            *

In article <588@wpi.WPI.EDU> goldmeer@wpi.wpi.edu (Jeffrey S Goldmeer) writes:
>... I am looking for any information of the U.S. Mars Sample
>Return Mission.  Specifiically, I am searching for data on launch dates,
>launch windows, and approximate time of flight.  Any other information
>about the mission would be appreciated.

There is no such mission.  There have been many studies of mounting such
a mission, in a wide range of different ways.  Launch windows and time of
flight vary widely with the specific scheme.  There has never been any
commitment to a specific plan or specific dates.
--
Allegedly heard aboard Mir: "A |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
toast to comrade Van Allen!!"  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu