[sci.astro] Moronic TV news coverage

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (03/14/89)

After watching another shuttle launch and flipping desperately between
channel 4 and CNN, I very much wish for a channel that would tell
the commentator to SHUT-UP during the launch.

CNN loves to play video games and share the NASA video feed (shrunk to
a tiny box) with a mugshot of some moron telling me useless crud.

Channel 4 had some bimbo saying things like: "Their waiting for the
visibility to get better than 7 miles per hour". Or gems like "The
Challenger successfully underwhent SRB seperation". Arrrrgggghhh.

Can't I PLEASE hear and see the NASA feeds? Do we have to have the
lowest common denominator?

I fondly remember the days when good 'ol Walter Cronkite would
cut over to the NASA feed at t- 1 minute and STAY there until near
orbit was acheived.

Please, please folks write your major networks and tell them to
shut the f**k up!  NASA folks, help!

    Paul K. Rodman
    rodman@mfci.uucp
    __... ...__    _.. .   _._ ._ .____ __.. ._

tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com.ogc.edu (03/15/89)

In article <704@m3.mfci.UUCP> rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) writes:

>After watching another shuttle launch and flipping desperately between
>channel 4 and CNN, I very much wish for a channel that would tell
>the commentator to SHUT-UP during the launch.

In Portland, OR (Rogers Cable TV) there were two channels that had pure
NASA feeds (NASA Select?).  These were a local cable access channel and
(more importantly) CSPAN-II, one of the congressional channels.  I know
that the local channel was set to start the NASA feeds at 12:30 am pacific
time.  I don't know when CSPAN-II started their coverage, but there was NO
ancher person overdubbing, other than the official NASA lady (which you
would get even if you had a direct downlink from NASA Select.  Check to see
if your local cable has CSPAN-II (I watched it over the local channel because
the local had a jumpy picture).

Tim Forsyth
Intel Corporation
OEM Platforms Operation
Hillsboro, Oregon
tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com

mcp2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael C Polinske) (03/16/89)

In article <518@gandalf.littlei.UUCP> tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com.ogc.edu writes:

   In Portland, OR (Rogers Cable TV) there were two channels that had pure
   NASA feeds (NASA Select?).  These were a local cable access channel and
   (more importantly) CSPAN-II, one of the congressional channels.  I know
   that the local channel was set to start the NASA feeds at 12:30 am pacific
   time.  I don't know when CSPAN-II started their coverage, but there was NO
   ancher person overdubbing, other than the official NASA lady (which you
   would get even if you had a direct downlink from NASA Select.  Check to see
   if your local cable has CSPAN-II (I watched it over the local channel
   because the local had a jumpy picture).

I don't know about the lauch coverage, but I do know that a public
access channel on our cable system has a continuous coverage of the
shuttle mission.  They have done this one time before also but I do
not believe they do this for secret missions.  In the corner of the
screen it shows something like this:

SCHOOL CABLE TV
NASA [LIVE]

It shows this even when I know that I saw it early.  so the cable
system must put it in.  I was wondering what network carried such
continuous, uncommentated (word?) coverage of a space flight.

   Tim Forsyth
   Intel Corporation
   OEM Platforms Operation
   Hillsboro, Oregon
   tim@opoxsrv.i.intel.com

--
|snail mail: Michael Charles Polinske	|email:	mcp2@csd4.milw.wisc.edu	|
|	     5730 North 68th St.	|			       	|

werme@Alliant.COM (Ric Werme) (03/17/89)

In article <704@m3.mfci.UUCP> rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) writes:

>After watching another shuttle launch and flipping desperately between
>channel 4 and CNN, I very much wish for a channel that would tell
>the commentator to SHUT-UP during the launch.

I just turned down the volume and dialed 900-909-NASA for Dial-A-Shuttle,
a service of the National Space Society (202-543-1995).  I forget how much
it costs, but it beats listening to TV morons.
--

| A pride of lions              | Eric J Werme                |
| A gaggle of geese             | uucp: decvax!linus!alliant  |