[sci.astro] Catch-A-Planet

jpg3196@tahoma.UUCP (James P. Galasyn) (07/19/89)

In article <2729@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu>, pedro@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:

>   You see, the chances of detection will strongly depend on the method of
> observation. In most cases we are far from having the appropriate tech-
> nology, but in other cases we are pretty close.

[stuff on detecting terrestrial planets around other stars deleted]

> * by contacting people in those planets. Self-explanatory.

 Off-the-wall observation here, which probably belongs in
 talk.religion.newage:  the Dogon tribe, among others in Africa, have rather
 precise astronomical information on the period of Sirius B, the white
 dwarf companion of Sirius.  It can't be seen by the naked eye (by a long
 shot), yet this knowledge is thousands of years old.  When asked how they
 know this, the shamans answer that they just speak to the inhabitants of
 a planet orbiting around there.  Dialogs with the "Sirius beings" are
 very old, dating to at least pre-pyramid Egypt.

 Now, I wouldn't want to be living next to any blue-white giants like
 Sirius, but maybe somebody can.  Maybe we're going about this SETI thing
 the wrong way.  We should be hiring shamans from Africa to search through
 the nearest stars...

 Only half-joking,

                  .                  	I've seen things you people wouldn't
    DEATH       .  ..                	believe.  Attack ships on fire off
              .     . .              	the shoulder of Orion.  I've  watched
      .     .        .  .            	sea-beams glitter in the dark by the
    .  .. .           .   .   .      	Tannhauser gate.  All these moments
  .     . .            .    .  ..    	will be lost in time, like tears
.        .  .           .     . . .  	in rain.   Time to die.   - Roy Baty

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (07/22/89)

In article <479@tahoma.UUCP> jpg3196@tahoma.UUCP (James P. Galasyn) writes:

> Off-the-wall observation here, which probably belongs in
> talk.religion.newage:

It does :-)

>  the Dogon tribe, among others in Africa, have rather
> precise astronomical information on the period of Sirius B, the white
> dwarf companion of Sirius.  It can't be seen by the naked eye (by a long
> shot), yet this knowledge is thousands of years old.

The precision of the astronomical information is more or less limited to
its existence and invisibility to the naked eye.  (I think I've heard that
they also know the period, but I don't know how accurately they know it.  If
my God were a double star, one of the possible periods I might use would be
the typical time it takes a person to die of old age.  (Although a more likely
period owuld be one Human generation time.  The choice depends on the God.)
The actual period of Sirius B is 50 years.)   They also have information
about Sirius C, D, E ... (I forget the exact number of companions they know
about.)  This 'knowledge' goes far beyond anything which has shown up on
astronomical plates of Sirius.

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
	"Only 10% of the 4000 mile long coastline was affected."
		-Exxon's version of the oil spill as reported to stockholders

arrom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee) (07/22/89)

> Off-the-wall observation here, which probably belongs in
> talk.religion.newage:  the Dogon tribe, among others in Africa, have rather
> precise astronomical information on the period of Sirius B, the white
> dwarf companion of Sirius.  It can't be seen by the naked eye (by a long
> shot), yet this knowledge is thousands of years old.  When asked how they
> know this, the shamans answer that they just speak to the inhabitants of
> a planet orbiting around there.  Dialogs with the "Sirius beings" are
> very old, dating to at least pre-pyramid Egypt.

Sigh.  I suppose this _should_ belong in sci.skeptic, if that group ever
gets created.  The people in question had ample contact with Europeans to
have gotten the information.

If you could give me a source for your claims that dialogs date to "pre-pyramid
Egypt", I'd like to see it.
--
"The fact is self evident from the text and requires no supporting argument."
  --Tim Maroney

Kenneth Arromdee (UUCP: ....!jhunix!ins_akaa; BITNET: g49i0188@jhuvm;
     INTERNET: arromdee@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu) (please, no mail to arrom@aplcen)

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (07/22/89)

In article <479@tahoma.UUCP> jpg3196@tahoma.UUCP (James P. Galasyn) writes:

> Off-the-wall observation here, which probably belongs in
> talk.religion.newage:  the Dogon tribe, among others in Africa, have rather
> precise astronomical information on the period of Sirius B, the white
> dwarf companion of Sirius.  It can't be seen by the naked eye (by a long
> shot), yet this knowledge is thousands of years old.

Read _Broca's_Brain_, by Carl Sagan. He debunks this in chapter 6,
"White Dwafs and Little Green Men".

	The story goes basically like this. Sirius B was discovered in 1862
by Alvan Clark. At the time, white dwarfs hadn't been discovered. It was
realized that Sirius B was quite an extraordinary star, so much so that the
story make headlines in regular newspapers, so the average guy-on-the-street
knew about Sirius B.

	Then 70 years later, in the 1930's, Marcel Griaule, an anthropologist
with a knowledge of astronomy, discovers the Dogon's incredible myth about
Sirius B. He also discovers that they know about Jupiter's 4 moons and
Saturn's rings. It appears the Dogon have knowledge that could only have
come from extra-terrestrials. However there was 70 years between the
discovery of Sirius B and Griaule's account of their legends. It is not
inconceivable that the Dogon had had contact with other Westerners who
told them of Sirius B, and then subsequently incorperated this story
into their myths.

	The important thing to note is that the Dogon are not as dogmatic
about their myths as most western religions are, so they are not above
changing their myths which are, by the way, passed on completely by
word of mouth. Sagan cites another tribe in an adjacent valley that
suffered from a rare disease called Kuru, a virus. In 1957, a physician
studying this disease showed the tribespeople what the virus looked like
though a microscope. A few months later, a different phyisician (not
knowing that they had observed the virus through a microscope) asked
them to describe what they know about the disease. Part of the description
told of an "invisible evil", accompanied by a diagram in the sand that
looked very similar to the Kuru virus. The tribespeople maintained that
this was part of their legend, and only later did the physicians realize
that the myth had been changed to account for the knew information of
the first physician. (They probably weren't trying to dupe us, that's
just the way their verbal legends grow.)

	Anyway, there is of course no firm evidence that the Dogon
had been visited by Westerners before Griaule, but the popularity of
Sirius B and the fact that there WERE Westerners exploring that area
before Griaule seems a much more likely explanation that Extra-
terrestrial visitors. Read Broca's Brain for more info.
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL."   "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525

preacher@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (J.A. Fegan) (07/23/89)

From article <479@tahoma.UUCP>, by jpg3196@tahoma.UUCP (James P. Galasyn):

>  Now, I wouldn't want to be living next to any blue-white giants like
>  Sirius, but maybe somebody can.

ok so what's wrong with living next to a blue-white giant?

--
Never be backward wen visitors kum;      | mailrus!sharkey!lopez!preacher
Don't sit there quiet like a sap         |--------------------------------

thebang@blake.acs.washington.edu (Siobahn Morgan) (07/24/89)

In article <841@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US> preacher@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (J.A. Fegan) writes:
>From article <479@tahoma.UUCP>, by jpg3196@tahoma.UUCP (James P. Galasyn):
>>
>>  Now, I wouldn't want to be living next to any blue-white giants like
>>  Sirius, but maybe somebody can.
>

>ok so what's wrong with living next to a blue-white giant?

Plenty!  The major drawback is the short Main Sequence Lifetime (when
it is stable, burning hydrogen into helium).  For the sun, the MS life
is estimated to be 10 billion years.  For blue-white (very hot) stars
like Sirius, the lifetime is closer to Millions of years, hardly
enough time to get any serious evolution started.

Also due to the higher temperature, the star would be producing more
light in all wavelengths, but most of it would be in the Ultra-Violet,
not good for life as we know it, but who can tell what little bug-eyed
monsters might enjoy?

Siobahn (Shabang) Morgan
thebang@blake.acs.washington.edu

"Yes,...No,...Yes,...No,...." - response to a single question by long
                                suffering faculty member.

arf@chinet.chi.il.us (Jack Schmidling) (07/24/89)

agiant/e4

Ref: Article 4892 (2 more) in sci.astro:
From: preacher@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (J.A. Fegan)
Newsgroups: sci.astro,sci.space
Subject: Re: Catch-A-Planet (was:Re:Curiosity)

Preacher says:

>ok so what's wrong with living next to a blue-white giant?

Arf says:

It's sort of like a "changing neighborhood"; really drives
down property values.  A normal, white sequence star is much
to be preferred.  But nothing quite comes close to having a
Black hole for a neighbor.

The Amateur Radio Forum (arf)