[net.sf-lovers] ST3, answers to commetns, possible s

friedman@uiucdcs.UUCP (06/30/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-127900:uiucdcs:12500086:000:2209
uiucdcs!friedman    Jun 30 09:31:00 1984

>      The flight recorder that was tampered with was a shuttle flight recorder
> in the episode "Courtmartial". I dont remember any tampering with the
> recorders of the Enterprise itself.

No, your memory is faulty on this.  There was no shuttlecraft involved in
"Court Martial" at all.  It was the Enterprise's flight recorder that was
tampered with (they didn't call it that in the episode, but that does seem
a good word for it).

>      As I remember in "Amok Time", Spock was on the order of 50+ years old.
> He had not yet had his first pon farr, and states during the scene where he
> is telling Kirk about Vulcan Birds and Bees that he had hoped to be spared
> the shame. Since the Young Vulcan was genetically Spock, a hybrid, I can't
> see why the silly pon farr happened so early in the first place. Saavik and
> he did not necessarily have to do anything, since in "Amok Time" he came
> out of it after fighting Kirk, when he should have died. All in all,
> a poorly done section of the movie.

You make a good point about the timing.  But I don't agree about the comparison
between relieving Spock's symptoms in "Amok Time", after the fight, and Saavik
doing so in ST III.  The point in "Amok Time" was that the fight with another
male took care of the problem.  That couldn't have happened in ST III.  It
seems to me that Spock and Saavik had to bond in some way, telepathically,
sexually, or whatever some clever writer dreams up.  (I'll be surprised if
there isn't some treatment of this point in ST IV.)  Personally, I thought
this was a very well done scene, despite the age problem.

> ...  It is very questionable why Saavik would have taken a relative downgrade
> from Command Captain Trainee to Scientific Researcher. ...

I don't see that she did take a downgrade (or even a change).  It seems clear
from Kirk's behavior in various episodes that the captain has some familiarity
with the science station -- Kirk sometimes worked the controls himself.  And
don't forget Chekov's frequent activity at the science station, as Spock's
backup; he was also a command trainee, and was often told to take over the
science station.  Seems to me this would just be part of command training.

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (07/03/84)

In article <12500086@uiucdcs.UUCP> friedman@uiucdcs.UUCP writes:

>> ...  It is very questionable why Saavik would have taken a relative downgrade
>> from Command Captain Trainee to Scientific Researcher. ...

>I don't see that she did take a downgrade (or even a change).  It seems clear
>from Kirk's behavior in various episodes that the captain has some familiarity
>with the science station -- Kirk sometimes worked the controls himself.  And
>don't forget Chekov's frequent activity at the science station, as Spock's
>backup; he was also a command trainee, and was often told to take over the
>science station.  Seems to me this would just be part of command training.

The important thing here is that Saavik was not reassigned to the Grissom
permanently!  The Grissom met the Enterprise very soon after the Genesis
device was set off.  Because she was involved in the incident and had
more knowledge of the Genesis device than many others aboard the Enterprise,
she was temporarily detached for duty aboard the Grissom to investigate
the new planet.  She had to go because the Enterprise couldn't spare anyone
else.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab