[sci.astro] Another Voyager task

barnes@Xylogics.COM (Jim Barnes) (08/30/89)

In article <13951@netnews.upenn.edu> barron@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Daniel P. Barron) writes:

>Of course, WHYY took the oppurtunity to interrupt every 20 minutes to tell
>you that "you can become part of history by calling 1-800-228-1234 and
>pledging your support to channel 12!"

WGBH in Boston went one further by saying something to the effect that
you could call 492-1111 anytime.  So, if you taped the show and were
just now watching the program, you could still call and donate money.

On a subject closer to the original posting, I heard some suggestion
(speculation?) that the Voyager camera might be used once more to take
a picture of the entire solar system when Voyager had travelled far
enough away.  Can anyone out there provide any details?  Would such
an image be able to show the planets or would everything be overpowered
by the sun?  How far away would Voyager have to be to allow all the
planets to be in the same image?  (Or, could they use a series of
images as was done for the closeups of the satellites/planets?)  How
long would it take Voyager to get to a position to get a good perspective?
(I assume that Voyager is now moving out of the orbital plane of the
planets.)

----
  Jim Barnes (barnes@Xylogics.COM)