[sci.astro] Future Space Missions

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (11/07/89)

                         Future Space Missions

1989 Missions
  o Cosmic Background Explorer (CBE)
       Launched by expendable rocket in November 1989, The CBE's mission is to
       measure space radiation, possibly from the "Big Bang".

1990 Missions
  o Roentgen Satellite
       To be launched by expendable rocket in February, the Roentgen will study
       X-ray emissions from stars and galaxies.

  o Hubble Space Telescope
       Space Shuttle launch in March, it will study the universe for 15 years
       or longer. From above the Earth's obscuring atmosphere, it will "see"
       planets, stars, and other objects in the universe about 10 times better
       than now possible with the best telescopes on the ground.

   o Astronomy/Broad Band X-Ray Telescope
       In March, to be carried aboard a shuttle, this telescope will obtain
       ultraviolet and X-ray data on stars.

   o Gamma Ray Observatory (GRO)
       April, shuttle, this space observatory will investigate black holes,
       neutron stars and other gamma-ray emitters.

   o Space Life Sciences Lab
       June, on-board shuttle lab will be the first in a series on US missions
       to study to effects of weightlessness.

   o Combined Release and Radiation Satellite
       June, expendable rocket will study the effects of radiation on
       spacecraft components.

   o Ulysses
       Octobter by rocket, will study the sun and its emissions and will use
       a Jupiter gravity assist.

1991 Missions
   o Tethered Satellite System
       January, shuttle, attached by tether to the shuttle bay, system will
       study electrical fields and gas clouds in space while demonstrating the
       capabilities of deploying and retrieving a tethered satellite.

   o International Micrograving Lab
       February, shuttle lab will set up systems for life-science studies.

   o Atmospheric Lab for Applications and Science (ATLAS)
       May, shuttle, this manned lab will study variations in the solar
       spectrum and Earth's atmosphere.

   o Spacelab
       July aboard shuttle, carry out low-gravity experiments.

   o Extreme Ultraviolet Explorer
       August, rocket, this satellite will study the evolution and population
       of stars and galaxies.

   o Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS)
       October, shuttle launch, will study upper atmosphere chemistry.

   o Small Explorer-1
       November, first in a series of rocket launches to study space physics
       and atmospheric science.

1992 Missions
   o Space Radar Lab
       May shuttle, gather radar images of Earth's surface.

   o TOPEX/Poseidon
       June rocket, TOPEX will study the relationship of ocean systems to
       climate.

   o Mars Observer
       September by rocket, to study Mars' climate and surface.

   o Shuttle High-Energy Astrophysics Lab
       September, on-board shuttle study of space X-ray sources.

1993 Missions
   o Gravity Probe
       June, shuttle launch, prototype mission to test Einstein's theory that
       space is curved.

   o Polar Orbiting Satellite
       June, measure solar wind and ions and gases surrounding the Earth.

   o Waves in Space Plasma
       November, shuttle attached antennae that will send out radio waves to
       measure the ionosphere.

Proposed Missions:
   o Advanced X-ray Astronomy Facility (AXAF)
       Possible launch from shuttle in 1995, AXAF is a space observatory with a
       high resolution telescope. It would orbit for 15 years and study the
       mysteries and fate of the universe.

   o Comet Rendezvous Asteroid Flyby (CRAF)
       Possible launch in 1995, a deep space probe to comet Kopff to study it
       in detail for 3 years.

   o Earth Observing System (EOS)
       Possible launch in 1997, 1 of 6 US orbiting space platforms to provide
       long-term data (15 years) of Earth systems science including planetary
       evolution.

   o Cassini
       Possible launch in 1996, orbiter would spend 4 years studying Saturn and
       send an atmospheric probe into the moon Titan.

   o Mercury Observer
       Possible 1997 launch.

   o Lunar Observer
       Possible 1997 launch, would be sent into a long-term lunar orbit. The
       Observer, from 60 miles above the moon's poles, would survey
       characteristics to provide a global context for the results from the
       Apollo program.

   o Space Infrared Telescope Facility
       Possible launch by shuttle in 1999, this is the 4th element of the Great
       Observatories program. A free-flying observatory with a lifetime of 5 to
       10 years, it would observe new comets and other primitive bodies in the
       outer solar system, study cosmic birth formation of galaxies, stars and
       planets and distant infrared-emitting galaxies

   o Mars Rover Sample Return (MRSR)
       Robotics rover would return samples of Mars' atmosphere and surface to
       Earch for analysis. Possible launch dates: 1996 for imaging orbiter,
       2001 for rover.

   o Fire and Ice
       Possible launch in 2001, will use a gravity assist flyby of Earth in
       2003, and use a final gravity assist from Jupiter in 2005, where the
       probe will split into its Fire and Ice components:  The Fire probe
       will journey into the Sun, taking measurements of our star's upper
       atmosphere until it is vaporized by the intense heat.  The Ice probe
       will head out towards Pluto, reaching the tiny world for study by 2016.

 Ron Baalke                       |    (818) 541-2341 x260
 Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355  |    baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov
 4800 Oak Grove Dr.               |
 Pasadena, CA 91109               |

lmg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (lawrence.m.geary) (11/08/89)

In article <2086@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:
>                         Future Space Missions
>
>   o Cassini
>       Possible launch in 1996, orbiter would spend 4 years studying Saturn and
>       send an atmospheric probe into the moon Titan.
>
>   o Fire and Ice
>       Possible launch in 2001, will use a gravity assist flyby of Earth in
>       2003, and use a final gravity assist from Jupiter in 2005, where the
>       probe will split into its Fire and Ice components:  The Fire probe
>       will journey into the Sun, taking measurements of our star's upper
>       atmosphere until it is vaporized by the intense heat.  The Ice probe
>       will head out towards Pluto, reaching the tiny world for study by 2016.

I have heard that Cassini will also use an Earth flyby to gain speed.
I assume this means that these probes are using underpowered boosters
and launching from the shuttle, as was the case with Galileo. This was
done with Galileo because it was too late - or would cost too much, or
the probe was too heavy - to refit the probe for launch on an ELV with
a Centaur upper stage. But WHY in heavens name is JPL sticking to this
method for probes planned for far in the future? Galileo will take six?
years to reach Jupiter this way; it should have taken two. The other
probes will likewise take years longer to reach their destinations by
using this technique. Why aren't there plans to use appropriate boosters?

--Larry
--

     lmg@hoqax.att.com    Think globally ... Post locally    att!hoqax!lmg

conor@inmos.co.uk (Conor O'Neill) (11/10/89)

In article <2086@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:

>                         Future Space Missions

What you really mean is "Future US Space Missions" ...

--
Conor O'Neill, Software Group, INMOS Ltd., UK.
UK: conor@inmos.co.uk		US: conor@inmos.com

In article <5569@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> lmg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (lawrence.m.geary,ho,) writes:
>I have heard that Cassini will also use an Earth flyby to gain speed.
>I assume this means that these probes are using underpowered boosters
>and launching from the shuttle, as was the case with Galileo...
> WHY in heavens name is JPL sticking to this method for probes planned
> for far in the future?...
>... Why aren't there plans to use appropriate boosters?

Because there are none.  Although it is fashionable to malign the Shuttle
as a planetary launcher, the Shuttle/IUS combination is the heaviest
booster available (outside the Soviet Union).  Titan/Centaur is in second
place by a considerable margin.  Shuttle/Centaur would be better,
Shuttle-C/Centaur would be still better, and a stretched-tank Centaur
fuelled in orbit would be better yet... but the first was cancelled, the
second is just a gleam in the planners' eyes, and the last isn't even
being planned.

The only available-now launcher that could do a better job on Cassini
would be Energia.  The Soviets have no superstitious fear of cryogenic
upper stages, and they will happily quote a price to put 200 tons --
eight times the Shuttle payload, enough for a lot of Centaurs -- in low
orbit using an 8-strapon Energia.  If you're absolutely determined not
to use something that hasn't flown, they'll quote a price for 75 tons
or so using the off-the-shelf 4-strapon Energia.  NASA is not going to ask.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/12/89)

In article <1989Nov12.001720.6482@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>The only available-now launcher that could do a better job on Cassini
>would be Energia.  The Soviets have no superstitious fear of cryogenic
>upper stages ...

Whoa, neither do we, if we're talking upper stages on unmanned
boosters.  The knock on Shuttle/Centaur was taking that cryogenic upper
stage up on the flatbed of a human crewed truck!  It was the astronaut
office, not armchair critics, that nicknamed it the "Death Star".  Who
got it cancelled?  A couple of guys named Young and Crippen...

Let's take bets on how eager the Soviets would be to take a Centaur up
inside Buran.  Of course THEY could do it unmanned anyway.  And of course
THEY don't even need to since they have plenty of booster power.
--
"UNIX should be used          ::   Tom Neff <tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET> or
 as an adjective." -- AT&T   ::    ...uunet!bfmny0!tneff (UUCP only)

lmg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (lawrence.m.geary) (11/13/89)

#
#Because there are none.  Although it is fashionable to malign the Shuttle
#as a planetary launcher, the Shuttle/IUS combination is the heaviest
#booster available (outside the Soviet Union).  Titan/Centaur is in second
#place by a considerable margin.

Didn't we use Titan/Centaur to launch the Voyagers?

#The only available-now launcher that could do a better job on Cassini
#would be Energia.

Available now is not the issue. Cassini is launching toward the end of
the century. We succeeded in going from initial concept to a moon landing
in less time than that. Now you are confirming my suspicions that we are
dead in the water as far as progress on ELV's goes. No program. No plan.

Buying launches on Energia from the USSR would be in our mutual interest;
it's one of the few things they can sell that we need. That probably
guarantees that we'll never do it.
--

     lmg@hoqax.att.com    Think globally ... Post locally    att!hoqax!lmg

anita@ut-emx.UUCP (Anita Cochran) (11/14/89)

In article <5569@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, lmg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (lawrence.m.geary) writes:
> In article <2086@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:
> >                         Future Space Missions
> >
> >   o Cassini
> >       Possible launch in 1996, orbiter would spend 4 years studying Saturn and
> >       send an atmospheric probe into the moon Titan.
>
> I have heard that Cassini will also use an Earth flyby to gain speed.
> I assume this means that these probes are using underpowered boosters
> and launching from the shuttle, as was the case with Galileo. This was
> done with Galileo because it was too late - or would cost too much, or
> the probe was too heavy - to refit the probe for launch on an ELV with
> a Centaur upper stage. But WHY in heavens name is JPL sticking to this
> method for probes planned for far in the future?
> Why aren't there plans to use appropriate boosters?

You are wrong in what you heard about the launch method for Cassini.  Both
CRAF and Cassini are NOT shuttle launches. Since they were being planned
around the time of the Challenger explosion, NASA realized relying totally
on the Shuttle was not a good idea.  Instead, both of these missions
will launch on a Titan IV with Centaur upper stage.  This is not
the most powerful combination we have ever had but it will work.
And yes, there will be an earth flyby to gain velocity.

Galileo would have been fine with a shuttle launch as originally planned.
However, when the Challenger blew, it was decided that the IUS was
potentially too dangerous.  Thus, they went to the Centaur.  That is why
they had the earth flyby on Galileo.  Cassini has another very important
constraint on launch characteristics.  If it launches much later than
scheduled, it will not be able to use the Jupiter gravity assist which
is so important to getting to Saturn since Jupiter will move out of
position with respect to Saturn.

--
 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-emx}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.as.utexas.edu

In article <20862@ut-emx.UUCP>, anita@ut-emx.UUCP (Anita Cochran) writes:
> Galileo would have been fine with a shuttle launch as originally planned.
> However, when the Challenger blew, it was decided that the IUS was
> potentially too dangerous.  Thus, they went to the Centaur.

OOPS.  I blew this.  I got it backwards.  They were going to use the centaur
upper stage and got cold feet and ended up using the IUS.  My apologies
for screwing this up.

--

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/14/89)

In article <20862@ut-emx.UUCP> anita@ut-emx.UUCP (Anita Cochran) writes:
>Galileo would have been fine with a shuttle launch as originally planned.
>However, when the Challenger blew, it was decided that the IUS was
>potentially too dangerous.  Thus, they went to the Centaur.

Just the reverse -- Centaur yielded to the less powerful IUS. (Let's
see if we can go for a repetitive-followups record on this one...)

--
I'm a Leo.  Leos don't believe    *  *  *     Tom Neff
    in this astrology stuff.        *  *  *   tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

In article <5714@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> lmg@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (lawrence.m.geary,ho,) writes:
>#...the Shuttle/IUS combination is the heaviest
>#booster available (outside the Soviet Union).  Titan/Centaur is in second
>#place by a considerable margin.
>
>Didn't we use Titan/Centaur to launch the Voyagers?

That's right.  The Voyagers went up before the shuttle was operational
and after all the bigger stuff was abandoned.

>#The only available-now launcher that could do a better job on Cassini
>#would be Energia.
>
>Available now is not the issue. Cassini is launching toward the end of
>the century...

But it must be planned now, on the basis of launch vehicles which are
known to be available.  That limits the list to Titan/Centaur and
Shuttle/IUS.  If NASA would *commit* to, say, a Shuttle-C/Centaur
combination, that would be a different story... assuming funds for
it continued to be available, that is.  The space-station planners
don't feel they can count on the improved version of the shuttle SRBs,
much less Shuttle-C.

>We succeeded in going from initial concept to a moon landing
>in less time than that. Now you are confirming my suspicions that we are
>dead in the water as far as progress on ELV's goes. No program. No plan.

Quite so, I'm afraid.  The NASA that ran Project Apollo is not the one
running today's programs, and the Congress that supported it has changed
a little too.  The only new large expendables being pursued at all are
Shuttle-C and ALS.  Both suffer from the same problem:  where are the
customers?  I suspect Shuttle-C, being a relatively tame shuttle
derivative, can get funded with the space station and a few other
things as justification.  ALS hasn't a prayer of ever flying unless
the political situation vis-a-vis SDI changes radically.