[sci.astro] Voyager Update - 01/16/90

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (01/17/90)

                      Voyager Mission Status Report
                           January 16, 1990

                             Voyager 1

The  spacecraft collected routine cruise science data  throughout
this period.   A TLC test was performed on 1/1 and the X-band TWT
was  switched  to the high-power mode on 1/2.    A high-rate  UVS
observation  of omicron Andromedae on 1/3 and playback of  Uranus
photometric images on 1/4-5 were lost due to the continuing  non-
availability of DSS 63 (failed elevation bearing).

On 1/2, the Bay 1 Heater was turned off and the X-Band TWT
commanded to the high power mode in preparation for Playback #6.

Activities for this period included the collection on low-rate UVS
data from the source omicron Andromedae, and low-rate F&P&W data
throughout the week.

A PRA POR occurred on 1/4.  The FDS algorithm successfully
restored the PRA to its nominal configuration.  This is the 35th
POR to occur since launch.  The most recent previous occurrence
was on 8/7/89.

A   total  of 62:45 of tracking time (exclusive of overlaps)  was
obtained.   Of this,  none was large-aperture coverage.  While no
significant real-time telemetry outages were  experienced,  minor
losses  amounted  to 1:11 - 1.9% of the total  scheduled  support
time.

                             Voyager 2

Routine  cruise  science  data  were  collected  throughout  this
period,  although  substantial  amounts  were  lost  or  severely
degraded  due  to  the  spacecraft's  passage  through   superior
conjunction.   The  minimum Sun-Earth-Probe angle (0.75  degrees)
was attained on 1/2.

The collection of low-rate F&P&W data continued throughout this
reporting period and two frames of PWS were recorded, one each on
12/21 and 12/27, for later playback.  In addition, the scan-
platform was slewed to the target plate on 12/15 and the UVS read-
out mode was inhibited through 12/21.  On 12/21 the read-out mode
was enabled for a successful readout.  Shortly thereafter, the
read-out was inhibited again through 12/27 at which time the read-
out was enabled for a second successful read-out.

The Scan Platform was pointed to a UVS dark sky position.  Data
were of poor quality from 1/1 through 1/3.  This was not
unexpected, due to the low SEP angle of less than 2 degrees. There
was a PRA POR on 1/4.

A  total  of 75:45 of tracking time (exclusive of  overlaps)  was
obtained.  Of this, 4:20 was large-aperture coverage.

 Ron Baalke                       |    baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov
 Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355  |    baalke@jems.jpl.nasa.gov
 4800 Oak Grove Dr.               |
 Pasadena, CA 91109               |

wayne@csri.toronto.edu (Wayne Hayes) (01/17/90)

In article <2582@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) writes:

>                             Voyager 1
>
> A TLC test was performed on 1/1 and the X-band TWT
    ^^^
This can't be what I think it is, can it?  A "Tender Loving Care" test?
"You OK, darling?  Comfy-cosy, warm, honey-buns?"

>observation  of omicron Andromedae on 1/3 and playback of  Uranus
>photometric images on 1/4-5 were lost due to the continuing  non-

When did Voyager ONE get images of Uranus?  Or can it actually get useful
info from half way across the solar system?  (Well, ok not half way, but at
least a few A.U.'s away.)

--
The 'C' programming language is, at worst, the second best language for any
given application.  Usually, however, it is the best.  --  anon

Wayne Hayes	INTERNET: wayne@csri.toronto.edu	CompuServe: 72401,3525